The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A first time for everything (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
One of the things I love about magic is that while there are so many different types of magic performances and shows, it is all so much the same, principle and method wise that is. But to the average person and many magicians, I feel that they think of the different types of magic as completely different unto themselves. Such as close up strolling magic compared to a grand stage illusion or a children’s magic show compared to an adult comedy show. Sure, they probably all use different magic effects that make sense for the particular type of show, but in the end, it’s all magic in some form. Magicians seem to find that niche type of magic and put themselves into it, I’ve met quite a few who say they are a strictly a close up magician or street magician. I’ve meet some magicians who only do children’s birthday parties. I suppose it’s all about finding you’re comfort zone and going with it. I also think it’s great in the way that you don’t spread yourself thin and only know a little of each type of magic. For myself, I like to learn as much as I can, and also what I can afford.
I have been performing professionally for the past 11 years and have a few different restaurant strolling gigs, an adult comedy show I perform at private parties and clubs, bars, town fairs etc, a children’s magic show and also 2 different classic magic shows I perform. Tomorrow I will begin my venture into the world of busking. My city is trying to “promote the arts” and is going to have street performers of all types performing in the city hall plaza area where there is currently a farmers market. I sent in my application and they checked out my website and youtube videos and apparently liked what they saw. I have a “live” audition tomorrow; meaning I will be having to set up at the Farmner’s Market and call a crowd, perform and pass the hat…all of which I have never done. They people who will give me the yeh or ney for the permit will be watching and decide from there.
99.9% of my shows are paid in advance and people know exactly what they are going to get. I am super nervous because I haven’t done busking before, and having read so many posts on this section of the site I know that there are always “off” days, even if the magician is “on”! There are countless reasons people may not stop and watch and enjoy the show, weather, in a hurry, busy, not feeling it…it’s not always the performer. So I have been reading many posts here and learning as much as I can before venturing out into the world of street performing. I want to say thank you to so many people on here who are open, sharing and happy to pass on tips and advice. I also have a juggling show and escape act show, so I hope to find a way to incorporate all of it into the performances as I go on. I have changed my performance about 100 times since last week. But this should be interesting and hopefully a new chapter in my world of entertaining. Off to practice now…and change my show around again…
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Pick your standard set that you perform and just use that. Believe me, the LAST thing you want to be doing right now is changing things up. FIGHT THAT IMPULSE! Follow the KISS/Pack Small, Play Big principles and you'll be fine.

Fundamentally, it's no different; just more flexible. Pretend it's a paid show, and the hatting is you getting your pay. If it knocks you off kilter, put out a trickle bucket and don't worry about the hatting other than to mention it.

Your main goal here is to pass the audition and get the gig.

Don't overthink, don't overcomplicate, stick to your best stuff that you know inside/out-backwards/forwards and...

RELAX! You'll do fine.

Break a thread, and let us know how it goes!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I wish you the best of luck. Busking is a totally different world, like you I perform mostly bars and restaurants, adult parties, and sometimes a kid show. And I just did a busking event for summerfest (I posted my experience in this section). My best advice to you is choosing routines that involve a lot of jokes and audience participation. You also want to keep the magic visual. Rope magic kills. It packs small and plays big. You want to do more entertaining than you want to do magic, when it comes busking people don't care if the ball is really under the cup, they want to laugh and have a good time. So even if you have an off day, it happens to us all, be sure to have fun with the crowed and you should still do pretty well.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
Thank you Andy, I read your post this morning actually from the Summerfest.. Good stuff, well for the most part ; ) I really hope it's going to be a shaded area there, that'll help me keep "cool".
Ekuth, thank you, I know to keep it simple, but I keep overthinking certain things. Many of my original ideas were very magic involved but seemed to serious/mysterious for me right now, I wanted more fun stuff. I have changed almost all the magic that I know and perform into a comedy presentatation along with the basic presentation to make my stuff more versatile, so that should help me out too. We'll see what happens. I love following peoples adventures in the world of busking on here, hopefully I'll have more to post on here other than this one thread...to be continued, I hope!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Good luck to you Eric! Please keep us posted sir!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
Thank you Devious! For the past 7 hours I have been going over and over what I am going to do. Ekuth, you'll be happy to hear I have my set now, no more changes. Just the things I know inside and out and frontwards and backwards. Thanks guys for the support. In 20 hours, the show shall begin!
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
Well yesterday was interesting. I showed up for the audition,the Mayor's assistant told me where to set up and that he would start gathering people fromt he farmers market to watch me and also that they will be recording it. I thought that was nice of him. After I set up, he asked if I was ready and then told me just do 10 minutes of the act. I was very surprised by this because I was prepared for 20 - 30 minutes. Since I wanted him to see I had variety but not just one or two long effects, I took out my juggling at the beginning, took out my opener and long but very fun closer and just did a couple of shorter magic tricks and then the 100 foot rope escape. I was super bummed because I sent out a post on facebook telling my friends in the area to come on down and show some support (since I had no idea who was going to be there or how it was going to work for the audition, not realizing it was only for a whopping 10 minutes). So I had a good turn out,the audition went well, although I forgot a couple of my lines on one of the tricks. Afterwards, he came up to me, told me it was great and he loved it, but that they no longer had final word on who was going to be given a permit. It was originally up to the Mayors office and this guy told me I was a definite yes from him, but things changed last minute...of course. He said he now he has to show the video recording to the licensing and permit department and they will make the final decision. I am supposed to get a phone call this afternoon with the yes or no. Also afterwards he told me he had all my information except for my insurance info. Here's where my inexperience came into play. He needed my performer's insurance info...which I do not have. I have my regular health insurance, but not performer's insurance. I have been asked before numerous shows if I had insurance and I always showed my health insurance card and I never once got a question about it. But apparently for street performing it is different. Opps. So I went online and found World Clown Association and they have clown and magician performers insurance for 135.00 a year plus a clown membership fee of 40 dollars a year. Although I am not a clown, I suppose this will have to do. It was also the cheapest I could find on the internet and a busker friend of mine (who is also) a clown recommended this particular site for insurance. So now I have to go spend almost 200.00 dollars in hopes of making some money in a place where street performing is a "pilot program", meaning it's entirely new to the area and not even a guarantee that it'll be around. But I suppose it'll be good to have so I can travel a bit more and start performing elsewhere...I hope.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Fingers crossed for you, Bostonzero--sounds like things went well, though, even with the change of rules. Got to love that!
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
I just got the phone call, I got the permit!!! I was asked if I would like to start this Friay, there are 2 areas avaialabe from 5 to 9 I have to commit to at least two hours. I'm more than ok with that, but now I have to get the insurance going, probably won't be able to start this weekend until that goes through. Gotta spend money to make money, right? I sure do hope this area has some money to be made.
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Way to go! Sounds great! You should be optimistic!

Dave
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
You can also get it through the I.B.M. and they may be able to get a binder faxed before this weekend.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Awesome! Keep us posted.
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
Thanks Magic.J.Manuel. I am a member of S.A.M. but not I.B.M. I'll check into that also.
magicofdesperado, I am optimistic, but this isn't exactly a "great" city, and since it's completely new, I feel that it can either start of as a jackpot or bust. There's four spots located along the side street near where the city hall plaza is, but one of them is a great big street corner...next to a drug rehab clinic (which is next to a really nice Pho restaurant. The unsavory characters who hang out (By hanging out I mean sitting or lying across the sidewalk and curbs)right at that corner all day and night leave much to be desired. Not a place I want to be seen being handed money or having my props and sound system out. But we'll find out soon enough. To be continued...
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Good for you Eric, well done.
Thanks for relating your experience with us!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
"Performer's insurance" as a prerequisite for a busking license is new to me. My understanding of the legality of busking is that it is considered an aspect of free-speech. Municipalities are not supposed to hinder the performer from exercising his right; licensing fees, for instance, should therefore be kept relatively low.
Anyway, I'm certainly no expert, but based on my experience in a few different states--including Massachusetts--a low-cost, or free license has always been the maximum requirement. I think I would have put up a bit of a struggle, just to see if they truly had the right to enforce what would amount to an additional $200 fee.
Curious to know what the rest of you have experienced in this regard.
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
Damian, the permit for performing is free, just an application and then audition is necessary. As I mentioned, this is all new to my City, so I think they are going above and beyond and getting everything they think they may need in order, including requiring performers insurance. I know a few place up in NH and Vermont will allow pretty much any type of street performer do their thing with no permit, but they have to show proof of "performer insurance". I'm mailing out for my insurance tomorrow, I have to mail out the application with a check or money order. I was told I can still perform tomorrow night since I did send out the payment for the insurance on that day. Tomorrow is the first night of the street performing, they have been advertising and pushing it hard, so hopefully a good amount of people will show up and see what it's all about.
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
Well, this Friday was my first time out on the street performing here in my city. It went really well and I had a great time. The city Mayor came down to check out all the acts and even volunteered for a couple of my tricks. He was laughing and having a lot of fun, and the crowds were really nice and pretty big on a couple of the performances.I ended up getting interviewed and had my picture taken with the mayor for the city paper. Can't wait to see the article! I performed for 2 hours and made $59.00. I'm very happy with that, especially for my first time. It was a good confidence booster and can't wait to perform again next Friday. Thanks for all the advice and help guys!!!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Well done; VERY well done!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
Thank you Ekuth. I hope all is well with your wife. My thoughts and well wishes go out to you and her!!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Sounds like a blast. Keep it up. What are some of the road blocks you may have ran into? What did you did, or plan to do, in order to get around them?
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A first time for everything (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL