The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Body Language (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Body Language-Charles Gauci. Does anyone use this in your act and does it play big?
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
I came across this today for the first time. Looks interesting.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Is odds 1:2 convincing enough?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Are you saying that the odds are not 100 percent as advertised?
copterchris
View Profile
New user
Austin, Texas
96 Posts

Profile of copterchris
I started a thread about Body Language in Secret Sessions :

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37

The odds *are* 100%

Thanks,

Chris
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Ooopps, uh oh, sorry guys,
I mixed this up with the other Gauci effect, Silver Medallion where you tell what hand the spectactor hides a medallion in.

I was a little too fast on that one.

When it comes to Body Language, I have never seen it. However, it builds on MM's Kurotsuke which is very good.

I have done Kurotsuke and left my audience stunned about this effect. Mr Gauci has apparently made this effect even more safe.
My only objection is, that it might not look innocent enough.

The props needed for Kurotsuke is a paper bag and some marbles or whatever you can find - typically everyday stuff.

Mr Gauci's improvement comes with gold balls, a bag etc, and a suspicious audience might smell "magic store"

It would be interesting with a review when any of you get it.
Sven
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
131 Posts

Profile of Brandon
I agree--for a mentalist, I wouldn't recommend this effect. But that all depends upon your presentational style. I wouldn't think for most magician's that it would fit in. It's a little "showy".

Brandon
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-10-14 14:01, Brandon wrote:
I agree--for a mentalist, I wouldn't recommend this effect. But that all depends upon your presentational style. I wouldn't think for most magician's that it would fit in. It's a little "showy".

Brandon
Brandon,

I have substituted clear (quartz) stones, and a black stone. I have increased the number of stones to 11. I use a brushed cotton sack that Crown Royale whiskey comes in. I use the effect in the classroom (adult students) where I tell a story about the "black stone of death--" a lottery method used by pirates to decide whom to throw overboard when food supplies were too scarce to feed the entire crew. The students love it.

I prefer it to Kurotsuke since the students can count and place the stones in the bag without my having to touch them. Also, at one point in the presentation, you can just let the students pass the bag around for the draw... you don't have to touch it. It might be (unlike in Kurotsuke) any one of the students at any position who draws the black stone. The memory that is left is that you never handled the bag.

Like many of Charles' effects, Body Language lends itself to different presentational angles. The props can be changed to eliminate the glitz.

Smile

Quote:
On 2003-10-14 13:11, Sven wrote:
Ooopps, uh oh, sorry guys,
I mixed this up with the other Gauci effect, Silver Medallion where you tell what hand the spectactor hides a medallion in.

I was a little too fast on that one. [by asking "Is odds 1:2 convincing enough?" -- Note for clarity by Clarkson]

Sven, it is true that if you do the Eye to Eye only once, the probability of a correct guess is 1/2. The probability of two successful guesses in a row is 1/4; of three successful guesses in row, 1/8 and so on. The impact of Eye to Eye is cumulative; moreovever, Charles' routine wagers high stakes ($100.00 per guess) to heighten interest. It plays well, especially if you use more than 1 spectator. Three successful guesses with each of two spectators only has a probability of 1/64 -- pretty impressive.

Quote:
Mr Gauci's improvement comes with gold balls, a bag etc, and a suspicious audience might smell "magic store"

It would be interesting with a review when any of you get it.
Sven
As to Body Language, see my post, above. I've been using it for over a year. I have modified the props, but the effect is the same. I use it in my classroom and almost always at the end of the semester, several students mention the effect. It is one they remember vividly.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
John,
I buy what you say about Silver Medallion, more guesses - better results Smile

When it comes to Body Language, your clarifying of it makes it far more interesting.

I was not aware of that you could change the props (I read :change them completely?) and if the spectators can handle the bag and stones as freely as you describe, this starts to look pretty amazing!

Maybe I should take a closer look into this anyway, and concider whether to get this.

Regards,
Sven Smile

I just had a look on the video clip of Body Language, and I have to admit that it loks pretty convincing. That is, except for the props which might be associated with magic tricks.

However, if the golden bag and balls can be substituted with something else, it wouldn't be any problem

Maybe this question belongs more in the secret sessions in the forum but I'll give it a try. I don't want anyone to give me the secret/method, but is it possible to use a paper bag for this routine?
Sven
roman59
View Profile
New user
Ipswich, United Kingdom
53 Posts

Profile of roman59
Yes Sven you can use an ordinary brown paper bag, it will work just as well as the bag supplied.

I have actually changed mine for a small hessian sack that you get bath cubes in.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mark
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
You wouldn't have to use the props that Gaucci uses.

I perform a similar effect with 5 jokers, a king and 6 ungimmicked envelopes and the obvious gimmick on my outer thigh.

I can tell you it plays very big !

PM if you want.
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Friends,

I have used Karutsuke, but it has some weak points. Where can I find the effect as described above? It seems to suit my personal performing style. And the presentation with the pirates are great!
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Hocus Pocus Magic is the exclusive U.S. distributor. http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/ You may need to do a search. Use "Gauci". I'm glad you like the pirate presentation I use. Please note, though, that I have modified the props somewhat. I think the originals are cool, but pirates would never use such fancy-looking balls!

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have posed a question related to this discussion on a "fresh" thread with a more specific title to the post.

I picked up on John Clarkson's earlier post (Oct. 14, 2003) that suggests the viability of performing Body Language using 11 marbles instead of the traditional 3 marbles. I am even wondering if a total of an "unlucky" 13 might be effectively used in a modified presentation of BL or of Kurotsuke.

Please visit my new thread at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=15#0

I look forward to reading your thoughts, insights, suggestions, comments.

many thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
dr z
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dr z
Jlevey your math friend might not know math so good.....???? the odds of 5 "guesses" in a row is not 50%..... maybe I don't understand what you mean????
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Leave it to a math guy to spoil all the fun!

I'm not a big math guy myself, but I do know that you can make numbers tell many different stories. For example, although he's right that your last choice is 50/50 -- what are the odds of you getting the entire sequence correct. On the first marble it is 20%, the next is 25%, the third is 33%, and the fourth is 50%. Again, not a number cruncher, but isn't the odds of getting all four perfectly correct a 1 in 120? (5x4x3x2)

I could be wrong, but think that's about right.

But as you pointed out, it's not as much about the numbers as it is the presentation. In fact, you could talk about the odds getting easier as you go along, but at the same time, getting harder to be right every single step of the way -- but the bottom line is, right now, at this moment, the odds are actually 100% because you just saw spectator #1 exhibit the tell tale sign of lying, he licked his lips (or whatever you want to say) and now you're absolutely, 100% positive that he's the one holding the black marble!

Take your bow (and your marble back).
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Dear Dr. Z... first of all, I apologize, I had a typo in the second paragraph... instead of suggesting that the traditional method used "3" marbles, of course, I meant to say it uses "5" marbles... and you are right, my math is terrible, so I welcome those who have a good grasp of the math to enlighten me and teach me the proper odds and percentages of hits and misses for this great effect.

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Mr. Mindbender thoguhtfully wrote...

"...But as you pointed out, it's not as much about the numbers as it is the presentation. In fact, you could talk about the odds getting easier as you go along, but at the same time, getting harder to be right every single step of the way -- but the bottom line is, right now, at this moment, the odds are actually 100% because you just saw spectator #1 exhibit the tell tale sign of lying, he licked his lips (or whatever you want to say) and now you're absolutely, 100% positive that he's the one holding the black marble!

Take your bow (and your marble back)."
-----------------------------
Jonathan responded by saying...

"...All great points, Mr. Mindbender.

But from what I recall, you leave the black for last to uncover --well sort of simultaneously if yo take Max Maven's great (and dramatic) approach of staring at one of the last two volunteers as if you are about to accuse them of holding the black, then swinging round in a flash to face the other volunteer and confidently accuse him of having the black and back to the other who has "the white... or something like that. Or, Mr. Mind Bender, do you affirm your decision, that the person holding the black marble is that person earlier on in the sequence?

Please describe the sequence to your routine, if yo are comfortable doing so.

Many thanks."

Jonathan

PS: At this point I would like to suggest that future comments be posted at on the following thread that is more specific to the discussion at hand at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=15#0
Jonathan
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I read in a review that the outcome of body language isn't always guaranteed. Is this correct?

J
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1608 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Why not use childs play? The routine is basically the same but is sure fire and stealthy.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Body Language (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL