The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can you avoid a tax bill by writing "accepted for value" on it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Cecil Adams comments on the origins of some of the strange notions of so-called Sovereign Citizens:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read......ue-on-it

Funny article that offers some insights into the workings of deranged minds.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20426 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
We all know I am no fan of taxes. But wow.

Lets pretend we live in a world where any of that makes sense. If we didn't have some sort of taxes, how do we get along as a society?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
Bob's deranged mind readings! Smile

“You’re right, there’s a logic at work here. Granted, it’s logic that only a psychotic can fully appreciate. However, we live in a country where the Supreme Court has interpreted the 14th Amendment, which was intended to protect the rights of former slaves, to mean that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Acceptance for value, A4V for short, involves reasoning only marginally more bizarre. So we ignore these people at our peril. They may someday rule.”

Corporations being treated as legal equivalent of humans goes back before America existed and there is nowt bizarre about it, or so it seems to me.

The word "corporation" derives from corpus, the Latin word for body, or a "body of people." By the time of Justinian (reigned 527-565), Roman Law recognized a range of corporate entities under the names universitas, corpus or collegium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 12:26, Dannydoyle wrote:
If we didn't have some sort of taxes, how do we get along as a society?

Like, barter fairs, maaaaaaan....
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 12:41, tommy wrote:

You must have seen some of my shows! Some of the "thoughts" people come up with are more amazing than the revelations themselves.

:eek:
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Assuming for a moment that there's any validity to these people's theories, they're still making the assumption that the government would actually "play fair." They're the ones who get to interpret the statutes in the end, not you, so it doesn't matter how many papers you file, there are no magic words that will "force" the state to say "ok, you got us. This guys read the rule book, let him go."
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:

“You’re right, there’s a logic at work here. Granted, it’s logic that only a psychotic can fully appreciate. However, we live in a country where the Supreme Court has interpreted the 14th Amendment, which was intended to protect the rights of former slaves, to mean that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Acceptance for value, A4V for short, involves reasoning only marginally more bizarre. So we ignore these people at our peril. They may someday rule.”

Corporations being treated as legal equivalent of humans goes back before America existed and there is nowt bizarre about it, or so it seems to me.

The word "corporation" derives from corpus, the Latin word for body, or a "body of people." By the time of Justinian (reigned 527-565), Roman Law recognized a range of corporate entities under the names universitas, corpus or collegium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation.

I don't think they decided that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Just that the humans that make up the corporation are the legal equivalent of humans.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is better to be alone than in bad company.

- George Washington
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4966 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 16:04, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

I don't think they decided that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Just that the humans that make up the corporation are the legal equivalent of humans.

No, it's always been clear that individuals can contribute to a candidate; corporations may do so in addition as a corporation, regardless of what individual stockholders may think.

It's an incoherent position as long as corporations are not dissolved on the basis of the murders they committed. (See cover-ups by cigarette and pharma corps. The analogy to life imprisonment or the death penalty would be dissolution.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can you avoid a tax bill by writing "accepted for value" on it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL