The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we a Police State yet? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 16:49, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
All of us are in Police states.

The Police are always in control.

Not too sure about that. There were certain parts of the North of Ireland where the police were NOT in control of public order. Same could be said for some of the "no go" areas, that every country seem to have.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 16:00, acesover wrote:
I wonder if the government is following this thread. Smile Some here will be getting a knock on their door so if you don't hear from them again don't be surprised. Smile In the meanntime Smile

I'm in handcuffs as we speak. Oh, you mean by the actual police?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 14:42, rockwall wrote:
I'm curious landmark. You've let it be known how unhappy you are with Obama. Will you be sitting out this next election? Writing someone else in or voting the status quo as the least worst of two evils?

At this point in our history, voting for President is highly overrated. Democracy isn't something you dust off and haul out every four years. I'll probably vote third party if the mood strikes, but I'm under no illusions. Coke or Pepsi. Some say there's a difference, fine if you think so. I'd rather spend my time and attention elsewhere.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Landmark-

Three words: Supreme Court appointments.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 21:50, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 14:42, rockwall wrote:
I'm curious landmark. You've let it be known how unhappy you are with Obama. Will you be sitting out this next election? Writing someone else in or voting the status quo as the least worst of two evils?

At this point in our history, voting for President is highly overrated. Democracy isn't something you dust off and haul out every four years. I'll probably vote third party if the mood strikes, but I'm under no illusions. Coke or Pepsi. Some say there's a difference, fine if you think so. I'd rather spend my time and attention elsewhere.

He gets it.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Amounts to very little in practice. The torture goes on, the innocents get murdered, the privacy gets invaded, one dollar equals one vote, the standard of justice for the elite is completely different than for the rest of us, and so on.

It's broken from top to bottom. You don't become a "viable" candidate for the Presidency unless you are already severely compromised.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 22:29, landmark wrote:
Amounts to very little in practice. The torture goes on, the innocents get murdered, the privacy gets invaded, one dollar equals one vote, the standard of justice for the elite is completely different than for the rest of us, and so on.

It's broken from top to bottom. You don't become a "viable" candidate for the Presidency unless you are already severely compromised.

And let's not forget that you have to balance the religious beliefs on one side while making the other side content. It's a game I never want to get into.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Is this a more recent view, or are you just letting out what you've always felt?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 22:38, gdw wrote:
Is this a more recent view, or are you just letting out what you've always felt?

Pretty much just venting...lol.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

If you're asking me, I've long considered myself a radical; the difference is that as I get older, I feel it is less likely that things will get any better. Or, perhaps that things will have to get a whole lot worse for a long time before they will get any better, and even then there's no guarantee. As to voting, I was probably a little more enthusiastic when I was younger, but except for two times--my first and my last--I've always voted third party under the reasoning that it was important to declare opposition to the two party one party system. But really, no one cares, and it doesn't make a difference either way.

Debbie Downer, over and out.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 23:47, landmark wrote:
Quote:

If you're asking me, I've long considered myself a radical; the difference is that as I get older, I feel it is less likely that things will get any better. Or, perhaps that things will have to get a whole lot worse for a long time before they will get any better, and even then there's no guarantee. As to voting, I was probably a little more enthusiastic when I was younger, but except for two times--my first and my last--I've always voted third party under the reasoning that it was important to declare opposition to the two party one party system. But really, no one cares, and it doesn't make a difference either way.

Debbie Downer, over and out.

So you're saying you 'didn't' vote Obama in '08? I must admit, that surprises me. I assumed you thought him the great savior like so many progressives did and were only later disalusioned. As to 'things will have to get a whole lot worse before they will get any better', that's exactly how I felt back in '08 and why I was OK with Obama getting elected. I knew the result would be that things would get a whole lot worse. I just didn't realize they'd get 'this' bad. Or that so many people would be so blind to how bad it continues to get.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I believe he was saying his last vote was not third party.

Landmark, things can change, but the current institution will have to get much worse first.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Ah, thanks gdw. I think I missed the 'my last' part of that post. So, possibly my assumption was somewhat accurate.

Anyway, I agree with Bob but for obviously different reasons. "Three words: Supreme Court appointments."

I also don't think the two parties are as identical as some like to claim. One word. obamacare.

But I will admit that there are more similarities than one would think despite what the rhetoric would indicate.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Are you referring to the Affordable Health Care Act? And the mandate that started out as a conservative idea and was praised by Romney when he introduced "RomneyCare" to Massachusetts? The plan that promoted the conservative ideal of personal responsibility? The idea that was considered a great conservative concept until Obama finally supported it at which time it magically transformed into "socialized medicine" and government sponsored "death panels?"

That act?

Because if you are, I agree with you that we need to eventually get rid of it, establish single payer - medicare for all - and join the rest of the civilized industrial countries of the world.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Yes Bob, that one. You mean to tell me you're not sure what Obamacare refers to?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Making people pay for healthcare they won't need in order to provide care to others is promoting personal responsibility?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:56, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Making people pay for healthcare they won't need in order to provide care to others is promoting personal responsibility?

How pathetic is that? We have plenty of free land in the mid-west where we just lay the poor sick folks to die. As long as the people who can afford medical care get it, all is good.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm not saying it's good or bad; I'm just saying that it's written into the ACA text that we know there are people who won't need or use healthcare services, but we still want their money to pay for others, and that doesn't entirely sound like what I think of when I hear "personal responsibility." It's not saying that I have to pay because I might need healthcare; it's saying that I have to pay because OTHERS need healthcare. Now, you can say it's good, it's neighborly, it's the only moral thing to do, etc. I'm just questioning the "personal responsibility" tag.

Although with all of the distaste you express in the religiously based threads about people "imposing their moral beliefs on others," I'm just shocked that you'd approve of such a thing. [/irony]
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:56, LobowolfXXX wrote:

EVERYONE eventually needs healthcare. Bigger pool, lower costs for all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we a Police State yet? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL