The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Problem with the click pass... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Blacksmith64
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Blacksmith64
Sorry if this isn't the place to put this question (I'm sure *someone* will pipe up and tell me that I shouldn't have asked this here) but I'm really looking for help. Two days of practice and I'm no further than I was.
It's the pass where you have one coin CP in the right hand and two coins in fingertip rest. Now, one is supposed to 'stick' on your fingers because of friction. Sure that follows. However IF I manage to get one coin to go into the left hand, the palmed coin joins the second one (the one still in fingertip rest) about a second later. Dead giveaway.
Or, if I'm very lucky, two coins will go into the left hand. The top one of the fingertip rest coins, and the palmed coin that has bounced over.
Mostly all three just stay in my right hand.
If anyone has a tip, I'd love to hear it. I can't do a very cool routine without this pass. Two days of almost nonstop practice and I'm just about ready to chuck these coins into the river.

Thankful for any help I can get.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
You seem to be getting frustrated way too easily over this. Two days working on a click pass, especially when you are still relatively new to coin magic, is not much time at all! Heck, the Classic Palm is one I still practice almost daily - and have been for a few years now (Not days... Years). And though it is very usable, it can still use work in some ways. Most sleights do not come to you in a matter of days! Months is more likely and years is not out of the question at all.

So take it as it comes, and it will definitely come to you - with practice, persistence, and perseverance. (Hope you like alliteration!)

Jim
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Blacksmith64,
First welcome to the Café. Second are you a blacksmith? Third is the the sleight from Chriis Kenner's book? If so, I think it's probably a timming issue. Hard to tell without actually seeing it in action. But I'll PM you a few things that might help.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
If I can offer a suggestion, this move sounds like it accomplishes the same thing as the one David Roth uses in "And they both go across", which is both a *TAD* bit easier (in my opinion), and MUCH more convincing (also in my opinion), so I suggest checking that out Smile
Blacksmith64
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Blacksmith64
Mystre,
Yes, I am. Have been for just under 30 years now. And I do appreciate any help you might be able to give me.

Jmac, "Two days working on a click pass, especially when you are still relatively new to coin magic, is not much time at all!" Now THAT'S depressing...
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Blacksmith I sent you a PM. I just recently got interested in metal working and blacksmithing. Would love to check out some of your work.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Also, it sounds like you're having lots of different problems at once and you need to break it down some. For example, it sounds like you can't do a Benzais Friction Palm consistently yet. That's something you should DEFINITELY have down before trying to do this more advanced version of it. Gotta learn linearly and not try running til you walk Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Not sure I understood what you need to accomplish, but if you have one coin classic palmed, two at the fingertips, and you want to pretend to toss the two at the fingertips into the other hand really retaining one, just use the Rubinstein click pass from the encyclopedia of coin sleights, or the NYCMS dvd series. That position is tailor made for the move.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 22:48, strat1227 wrote:
Also, it sounds like you're having lots of different problems at once and you need to break it down some. For example, it sounds like you can't do a Benzais Friction Palm consistently yet.

That should be The MARLO Friction Pass! ( SEE Bulls Eye Coin tricks! Pg. No 7. 1942) Marlo had it in print ONLY around 25 years or so Before Benzais! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
This is my CLick Clank Pass uing my crimping technique.. this technique is visual , you can actually see the coin fall.. enjoy the crimp AKA (thumb Crotch) http://youtu.be/pr3s_lr0LaU
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Quote:
That should be The MARLO Friction Pass! ( SEE Bulls Eye Coin tricks! Pg. No 7. 1942) Marlo had it in print ONLY around 25 years or so Before Benzais! Smile

Thanks for the correction David! I tend to just call things by the name I learned them, due to habit. The move is often known as a Benzais Friction Pass even though you're definitely correct that Marlo printed it much earlier.

Such is life sometimes I'm afraid haha. Thanks again for that.

Also, very convincing move Vinny, thanks for sharing, I'll be working on that one to add to my arsenal Smile

EDIT: Can anyone tell me the proper name of the click pass Ponta the Smith uses at the end of his Winged Silver routine? (can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla......sw#t=35s )

That's another VERY convincing, and also deceptively easy move
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Actually BS this is the correct place to ask your question

BS you mean the click pass from MB's GC2 correct?
it does not just happen overnight.
it took me a month of practice to get it to work
PLEASE, Take your time...if you rush thing or expect to much
you will get frustrated with your work.

one tip I can advise is to practice your CP,
strengthening your palm muscles will help
how, constantly hold a half dollar in CP
preforming daily chores, you'll see

something else that helped me was learning the muscle pass
that one is a challenge
I'm still trying to learn the muscle pass, all I can get is 4" air

depressing?
why magic does not happen overnight,
plus you already stated you have problems with your hands.
just wait next year this time, all will be GOOD!
Blacksmith64
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Blacksmith64
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 22:44, mystre71 wrote:
Blacksmith I sent you a PM. I just recently got interested in metal working and blacksmithing. Would love to check out some of your work.

Thanks very much for your PM, I have replied in kind.
CardsInTheNude
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CardsInTheNude
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 22:15, Blacksmith64 wrote:
IF I manage to get one coin to go into the left hand, the palmed coin joins the second one (the one still in fingertip rest) about a second later. Dead giveaway.

When I wanted to strengthen my classic palm muscles, I tried to spend hours each day with four Kennedy halves in either classic palm or edge palm. After I did that for a couple weeks, my ability to classic palm a single coin improved dramatically, both in terms of how much I trusted the move, and also in its "invisibility" (my hand looked much less tight from an audience perspective).

At least in my case, it's possible to lose that, by the way. Once I started playing more seriously with cards, and dealing with life in general, my ability to classic palm got a lot worse.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I independently came up with this click pass around 1974. It was supposed to be published in a coin book by Harvey Rosenthal, but he never got around to publishing the book. And, since I was never interested in publishing anything, it fell by the wayside until it showed up in David Roth's coin book and then later in Chris Kenner's book.

Well, having said all that, are you using halves or silver dollars? I find the move a little easier with half dollars. A little tip: as your right hand cocks slightly to the right in preparation for the toss, push the top coin of the two on you finger tips slightly to the left with your right thumb. When you do that, it seems less like a friction pass and thus you can concentrate more on releasing the coin from classic palm. And as others have said, in concept it seems easy, but it does require a certain amount of thoughtful practice.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Some realy good advice, here!

Quote:
On 2012-07-10 23:27, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
...just use the Rubinstein click pass from the Encyclopedia Of Coin Sleights, or the NYCMS DVD Series. That position is tailor made for the move.

There's your answer! Here is Dr. Mike's page:

http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net/Rubinstein.htm

In fact, check out the entire site! If you're hard up for cash (like me), just buy one DVD at a time! Smile

Doug
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 22:15, Blacksmith64 wrote:
Sorry if this isn't the place to put this question (I'm sure *someone* will pipe up and tell me that I shouldn't have asked this here) but I'm really looking for help. Two days of practice and I'm no further than I was.
It's the pass where you have one coin CP in the right hand and two coins in fingertip rest. Now, one is supposed to 'stick' on your fingers because of friction. Sure that follows. However IF I manage to get one coin to go into the left hand, the palmed coin joins the second one (the one still in fingertip rest) about a second later. Dead giveaway.
Or, if I'm very lucky, two coins will go into the left hand. The top one of the fingertip rest coins, and the palmed coin that has bounced over.
Mostly all three just stay in my right hand.
If anyone has a tip, I'd love to hear it. I can't do a very cool routine without this pass. Two days of almost nonstop practice and I'm just about ready to chuck these coins into the river.

Thankful for any help I can get.

Coin magic is special. Most of the time you are working without a net! Meaning that your techniques must be near perfection every time! And some techniques will take longer to master than other. What is easy for one, could be a disaster for someone else! Never stop practicing. And when you practice do it GOOD AND FOCUS!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Doug am I missing something here?? what does Doc's \Smiley have to do0 with a click pass???
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 15:07, vinsmagic wrote:
Doug am I missing something here?? what does Doc's \Smiley have to do0 with a click pass???
vinny

I think he was just linking to Dr Rubinstein's page as a place where you can purchase the click pass mentioned earlier Smile
Blacksmith64
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Blacksmith64
The click pass I mentioned is the one found in MB's routine "Grampa's coin".
It's kicking my behind right now, but I'll keep at it...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Problem with the click pass... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL