The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming is Speeding Up (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
So you're not pro choice when it comes to personal school selection (whether public or private)? You know, when schools were freely teaching from the Bible in the classroom and exhorting the moral ethics found therein, our education system and its students were a lot better off than where we are at today.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Morals? Puhlease those are so last century.

Bob what damage has anyone PROVEN, as in you would accept it in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt and to a moral certainty?

Go ahead and throw around the 97% statistic and think it is valid. But you have not mentioned a goal or a plan or a cost or a benefit from the cost or how we force compliance.

Obviously you just think everyone needs to agree and do SOMETHING now, no matter what. No wonder you can't get things done on the left. Is so much science is on your side how about just answering basic questions? Can't. It is easier to call others named and scream about how the science is settled. I think there is more money in the arguing than solutions.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
The sad thing is how in the world did 97% of ... wait I'm suddenly confused. Is it 97% of all scientists or 97% of climatologists? How does that go again? Anyways it is going to be really embarassing when these 97%ers are all proven to have been WRONG!

Glen

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 18:45, GlenD wrote:
The sad thing is how in the world did 97% of ... wait I'm suddenly confused. Is it 97% of all scientists or 97% of climatologists? How does that go again? Anyways it is going to be really embarassing when these 97%ers are all proven to have been WRONG!

Glen

I'm sure those 97% of climatologists who have carefully reviewed the data and meticulously peer reviewed it wouldn't mind being embarrassed if proven wrong because they somehow misinterpreted the evidence.

They will however be doing the "We told you so" dance when the last of the foot dragging deniers finally come to the realization that they were in fact the ones who were wrong.

Unfortunately by then it will probably be far too late to do much about it. Heck, right now there are some who claim it is already too late to do anything about it and that we long ago reached the tipping point of no return.

Wouldn't it be the prudent thing to err on the side of caution and start our transition to renewable energy now instead of continuing down the dead end path of fossil fuels?

You seem so sure that 97% of people who have actually studied the data and know about such things are incorrect. What do you base this assumption on? What evidence do you have access to that these highly trained individuals do not?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Just read information by the scientists that are not on board with the 97%. It's out there and readily available and makes a hell of a lot of sense. Look, we all have computers and we all can do very basic searches at the minimum. I refuse to play the quote your sources game anymore. By the way, I think the 3% and those that agree with them will be doing plenty of laughing four years from now when the planet is still inhabitable despite Algores hysterical claim to the contrary. That was a very scientific thing to predict, wasn't it?

Glen

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Payne, if you promise not to compost me I will fan you with palm leaves grown in the Yukon....pllllease!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 18:24, Dannydoyle wrote:

Obviously you just think everyone needs to agree and do SOMETHING now, no matter what. No wonder you can't get things done on the left. Is so much science is on your side how about just answering basic questions? Can't. It is easier to call others named and scream about how the science is settled. I think there is more money in the arguing than solutions.

Just keep setting up the straw men and knocking them down, Danny. I'll offer you ANOTHER twenty bucks if you can quote where I said everyone needs to agree and do SOMETHING now, no matter what. I didn't, so you can't. BTW- you never responded to my last twenty dollar offer to provide a quote from one of my posts where I said what you claimed I did.

So, Danny, I'm going to leave you to argue with yourself over the imaginary stereotypical positions that you seem to think I have. You used to try to at least be friendly in SOME of your posts. But it's clear to me that you just want to attack me for some reason. And guess what?

I don't care.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-08-05 10:17, Woland wrote:
Quote:
I was comparing Carrie's point to the industrialists of the late 19th early 20th century who seemed to believe that any waste could be dumped into the ecosystem and the Earth would just absorb it.

Any documentation that anybody actually believed that, or that such was the belief of "industrialists" as opposed to everybody and anybody else at the time?

Well, who was building the industries that were dumping crap into the ecosystem?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Al Gore
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Well, July is now officially the hotest month on record for the lower 48: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08......217.html
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In the hundred or so years of our record keeping.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wouldn't it be prudent to err on the side of caution?

Caution would be doing research prior to making absolutely outrageous claims and doomsday scenarios.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Caution would be doing research prior to making absolutely outrageous claims and doomsday scenarios.
"

Who did that? What are you talking about?

Records have been kept since 1895. This is the hotest july ON RECORD. On record means "since we have been keeping records."

Talk about knee jerk.

But I guess that sand clogs up your thinking when your head is buried so deeply.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-08-09 08:55, Slide wrote:
Well, July is now officially the hotest month on record for the lower 48: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08......217.html

"Weather isn't climate"...eccept when it's hot.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
So, records have been kept for 100 years out of hundreds of millions of years past. I wonder what the chances are that there was a hotter month? I know which way I'd bet.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
How many years would you need Nicholas? According to "some members" here, the planet is only a couple of thousand years old so chances are pretty high that this is the hotest July ever in the history of the planet. Smile

Does the idea that 4 thousand years ago we might have had a hotter July make you feel better or believe that this is not a big deal? Does that make you sleep good at night?

THIS IS THE HOTTEST JULY ON RECORD. AND PROBABLY THE HOTEST JULY FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. THAT IS OKAY WITH YOU?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-08-09 12:33, NicholasD wrote:
So, records have been kept for 100 years out of hundreds of millions of years past. I wonder what the chances are that there was a hotter month? I know which way I'd bet.

I would bet that there was a hotter month somewhere "out of hundreds of millions of years past" myself. But that completely misses the point, i.e. are our actions now and in the recent past going to be of concern to us (and our kids) going forward?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-08-09 13:12, Slide wrote:
How many years would you need Nicholas? According to "some members" here, the planet is only a couple of thousand years old so chances are pretty high that this is the hotest July ever in the history of the planet. Smile

Does the idea that 4 thousand years ago we might have had a hotter July make you feel better or believe that this is not a big deal? Does that make you sleep good at night?

THIS IS THE HOTTEST JULY ON RECORD. AND PROBABLY THE HOTEST JULY FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. THAT IS OKAY WITH YOU?

Statistics is not your strong suit is it? Even out of only 6000 the hundred year mark is almost meaningless.

Probably for thousands of years? Wanna prove that prior to it being disproved?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Shall we look at trends instead? Oh, wait, we can't, because the data's suspect, right?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-08-09 13:21, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-09 12:33, NicholasD wrote:

I would bet that there was a hotter month somewhere "out of hundreds of millions of years past" myself. But that completely misses the point, i.e. are our actions now and in the recent past going to be of concern to us (and our kids) going forward?

The general idea doesn't "completely" miss the point. It would certainly be cited as strong evidence for AGW if today's temperatures were unprecedented; surely there's some evidentiary value to knowing that there isn't. When the effect shows up without the purported cause, it's at least worthy of consideration.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming is Speeding Up (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL