The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Getting old sucks. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 15:27, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 15:24, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
It takes a lot to get me angry. Nobody's quite gotten to that point yet.

Thanks. Good to know you can jest even at times like this.

All the best.

If you can't laugh at life, you're gonna be miserable.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yes.

Cry if you must, laugh when you can.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Speaking of miserable, I just got called into work. I'm supposed to be on vacation. I should have changed my cell number when I left. Let the judge hold me in contempt. They've been doing it for years.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My Dad's neighbor is a Cat Lady in her old age. It has destroyed a once good relationship with neighbors. There would be a huge market for Cat food with birth control added.

I'm afraid you have to set your foot down, this only gets worse over time. If even half the cats are female you could have 30 or 40 more cats in just over two months.
When cats get too crowded diseases can kill many at once or your neighbors could take too poisoning them. You can imagine the effect that would have on your Mother. You might try to explain this to her.

If you can talk to her rationally about it do so, otherwise just do it (trap and deliver to animal control). Look online for instruction of you could be hurt and there are smell issues involved with transport of scared Kitties. Some communities have a trap and spay program. You might check online and see what they suggest.

If you stop feeding them they will eventually disperse some what. You will have to have someone check outside to make sure food is not being snuck out to them because hungry cats are persistent and pitiful and could prove too hard for your Mom to resist.

If you can let her keep one spayed cat (o be fed indoors) it could help.

I feel for you scratch.

Probable future Cat Lady (but I hope not) -Mary Mowder
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
A dear friend once said "Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live."
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
"I now have about 20 stray cats in my back yard."

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=32&7

Hint .. Hint :wink:
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 15:53, ClintonMagus wrote:
A dear friend once said "Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live."

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Cat food with birth control added? I'm liking that idea. If only that magical cat food came with a coupon so I wouldn't have to spend $300 to bring a stray to the vet....
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Also not sure about your area, but some parts of the country can be hot spots for rabies. That many feral cats could be an issue in that regard.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Rabies is not so much an issue here, but there are other health concerns. The city I live in cut back on animal control costs, so I'm pretty much out of luck. I'm not the one who was hoarding cats, but I'm the one left with all the liability and bills. I'm not even a cat person. I like dogs...lol.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't really get the whole "cat person v. dog person" thing, because I dig both.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 18:25, critter wrote:
I don't really get the whole "cat person v. dog person" thing, because I dig both.

I have a cat that I rescued a few years ago that I have a soft spot for, plus she gets along so great with the dog that I put up with her. Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I preferred dogs for years, but I've since had two awesome cats. Now they're about even, although-honestly-my cat Talma was my favorite animal I've ever had.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I'm about the same here. I rescued my cat as a kitten when her mother got hit by a car at about the same time some idiot dropped a dog off on the side of the road. They have been best friends ever since.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Is going back and forth to the hospital to deal with an unruly parent considered a tax deduction? I'm spending a fortune in gas. And on a side note, is it bad manners to hit on the nurses while I'm there?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It is dangerous to your Mom to treat the Nurses and aides badly (warranted or not). Some of them are vindictive.

Get to know the names of the ones you see regularly and thank them for taking care of your Mom.

Most of the places have an Ombudsman who you should get to know and bring up problems to them.

-Mary Mowder
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I'm a wolf person--but only when the moon is full.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 20:51, Mary Mowder wrote:
It is dangerous to your Mom to treat the Nurses and aides badly (warranted or not). Some of them are vindictive.

Get to know the names of the ones you see regularly and thank them for taking care of your Mom.

Most of the places have an Ombudsman who you should get to know and bring up problems to them.

-Mary Mowder

I thought about that. I've gone out of my way to be extra nice to the staff and I hired a private nurse to check in on her 4 times a day. I'm still waiting to hear back from social services from the hospital though. I need to speak to them to get her extended treatment.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Start to secretly put cat food further and further away from the house over a period of a few weeks to a month. First couple of nights, dump it out a few houses down. Then proceed to go further and further until you have moved the herd a couple of blocks away and then forget about them. They will forage for themselves.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 21:04, RJE2 wrote:
Start to secretly put cat food further and further away from the house over a period of a few weeks to a month. First couple of nights, dump it out a few houses down. Then proceed to go further and further until you have moved the herd a couple of blocks away and then forget about them. They will forage for themselves.

You are talking like a rational person. I'm dealing with an elderly cat lady. If I move the dishes away, she'll move them back.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Getting old sucks. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL