The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bees (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Since we're back to the old global warming debate, and since we're now worried about bats, why not do bees? Have we ever done bees?

Here's a very recent article that I haven't read yet. I was just looking for something current.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10......885.html
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Bees did come up in a recent thread. One of us is a beekeeper, if I am not mistaken.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 13:16, Woland wrote:
Bees did come up in a recent thread. One of us is a beekeeper, if I am not mistaken.

I missed that. So, who is the apiarist in the house? Make yourself known.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Bees are being wiped out by parasites but they like warm air.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm pretty sure my friend's daughter is working on the colony collapse disorder thing. If that's the case then I expect it to be resolved soon.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Yeah I wonder how that guys hives are doing. Last I heard he got the electric fence up and it was keeping the bears away.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Sherlock Holmes was a bee-keeper.
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
So is Alton Brown the "Good Eats" guy.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
If there are any bee lovers in CT, I have a ton of them outside my front door. Feel free to take them. ALL of them.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
On the tv show House his address is the same as Sherlock Holmes
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
My bees are doing great! The electric fence is up and running and no more bear problems. (This morning I was out chipmunk proofing the chicken run. One critter pest after another.)

There are a lot of theories out there as to what is happening to the bees. Three of the more popular or widely accepted ones among beekeepers appear to be:

Poisoning. Treated crop seeds, especially corn, or pesticide sprays being used incorrectly, are considered some of the worst culprits.

Mites. There are a couple of mites that have become quite a nuisance lately. However, these can now be treated pretty effectively by the beekeeper.

Global Warming. This theory states that the bees are coming out of the hive earlier than before in the spring and there is not enough food source for them because the plants haven't bloomed yet.

I'm not sure which theory I would adhere to since I only began beekeeping this spring and have not as yet had a problem with colony collapse.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 14:01, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
If there are any bee lovers in CT, I have a ton of them outside my front door. Feel free to take them. ALL of them.

They're not likely honeybees, but more than likely wasps. Check the area to see if they are nesting somewhere. Look for a small opening or hole that they appear to be going in and out of. Once you find that, how you handle the problem is up to you and your conscience.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I can see the nest. I'm just not going anywhere near it. I stuck my hand in a mailbox full of bee's a few years ago. I don't make the same mistake twice. I leave them alone, they leave me alone. Everyone is happy.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Speaking of wasps: me in my American ignorance never understood why German beer tankards have lids on them. When I moved to Germany, I found out very quickly. It's to keep the wasps out. I was stung three times in the mouth by wasps hiding in my beer. I quickly learned a sort of ritualistic [i]look into the glass/bottle before each drink[i] move, which Americans might find odd. But I haven't been stung again in over a decade.

Oh, and here's another tidbit: coasters are called "Bierdeckel" (beer lids). That's because these days most beer mugs don't have lids on them. What you do is take a second coaster and put it on top of the beer to keep out the wasps.

Kinda cool, huh?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've long used those types of tankards as dust-resistant water glasses.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
That's right critter. No reason to drink mud.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
My favorite one is a half-gallon.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Here the only half-gallon sized glasses that are still used in bars are called "boots", and are shaped like...ah...boots. But you seldom see anyone using them except for frat boys.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a half-gallon beer boot Smile

They were in the movie "Beerfest" as well. I met the German bodybuilder Gunter Schlierkamp who was one of the villians in that movie. He was incredibly nice and autographed my Beerfest DVD for me: "Das Boot! Gunter Schlierkamp."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Here's little story for you.

One time my friend Gerhard and I met for our usual Wednesday beer, and there were a couple of Swedes at the table next to us who were eating and drinking normal-sized beers. Gerhard and I usually drink out of one-liter mugs. They finished their meals, followed it with some kind of after-dinner schnaps, then ordered one-liter mugs for themselves. After they finished, they apparently asked whether there was anything larger. So out came two boots of beer. Assuming they were on their first beers when we came in, that's threee and a half liters of beer and a schnaps each. Now, I could do that myself over the course of a long evening--but I live in Germany. One of these Swedes was clearly not trained to accomplish such a feat, and he was literally stumbling all over the place. The other held up pretty well, though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bees (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL