The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A recipe for the vegans/a thread for healthy recipes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I am not a vegan (or even vegetarian), but I am lactose intolerant. I also eat a lot of vegan food just because I like it and it's often healthy. This is a sour cream recipe I adapted from an old macrobiotic cookbook. Since I know that some of my friends here are vegans, I thought they might dig this one. If anybody has any favorite "healthy lifestyle" recipes to share here as well then I'd like to see them.

Sour "Cream"
half pound soft tofu
juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons
sea salt

Boil salted water. Drop tofu in a few seconds. Strain. Place in blender with lemon juice and pinch of sea salt. More salt can be added to cut the lemon if you need to.
I'm not entirely convinced that the tofu would need to go into the boiling water at all if you used "silken."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
What type of tofu is best for stir fry? I've tried a couple different kinds and they just crumble up.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I usually use chicken in my stir-fry but I've had good results with Mori-nu Extra Firm on those occasions when I have done the tofu.

A tofu trick:
Dice, then marinate it in the fridge overnight (soy sauce or teriyaki sauce). It might still crumble, but hopefully not as much. And if you don't marinade then dry it with paper towels before frying.
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I've got great and easy recipes for:
brussels sprouts
eggplant
cauliflower
lentil soup
"ratatouille" (I don't really know if that's what it is, I just made it up).

That are all vegan if anyones interested.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Purple potato's, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and green beans, with chicken all done on the bbq last night
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
That sounds good Mr. Z. I love grilled vegetables (and chicken).
Seadog, I'm interested.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It's not really a "recipe" but here's my favorite easy way to do up a salad:
Mix 1/2 romaine with 1/2 baby spinach (I make my salads BIG)
Sprinkle on top (All unsalted):
A big handful of crushed almonds
A big handful of sunflower seeds
A small handful of Wasabi peas.
Drizzle with Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette.

I have this every day about 2 hours before dinner. Takes less than a minute to make. Sometimes I omit the peas and use raspberry dressing instead.

I'll put up some more interesting recipes later. I know these are kind of boring, but they're easy!
I think one reason many of us don't eat healthy food more often is that a lot of it seems complicated. I try to find ways to make it easy so I will stick to it.
But I do have my "special occasion" stuff as well when I want to put in the effort.

Another "free tip":
I love carrot juice and recently discovered that it's one juice that's actually cheaper to make myself. My juicer leaves a little pulp so I save this and mix it with my omelettes in the morning so there's less waste from the juicing.
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Vegan cannibals only eat Vegans. So be careful where you vacation.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
So they're also Humanitarians?
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yep.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey all fellow level 5 vegans!
To answer your tofu question.. The best for stir frying is firm or extra firm. If you are too rough with it, it will crumble. I find it is best to brown the cubed tofu separately and then stir frying whatever you are going to have with it and re-add the tofu at the end..
Another trick is to freeze your block of tofu. Thaw it and squeeze out the Moisture. Then cube and stir fry as per usual.. Freezing changes the texture and makes it 'meatier'.. It also makes it better for picking up whatever marinade you are adding.
Silken tofu is not good for stir frying - although it can be deep-fried.
A great web site for vegan recipes is http://www.vegweb.com
I have been vegan since 19y.o.
I am now 35 which makes me the oldest living vegan on earth! J.k.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 01:51, damien666 wrote:

You've got to make up at least nine years just to be the oldest one on this thread!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 01:51, damien666 wrote:
Hey all fellow level 5 vegans!
To answer your tofu question.. The best for stir frying is firm or extra firm. If you are too rough with it, it will crumble. I find it is best to brown the cubed tofu separately and then stir frying whatever you are going to have with it and re-add the tofu at the end..
Another trick is to freeze your block of tofu. Thaw it and squeeze out the Moisture. Then cube and stir fry as per usual.. Freezing changes the texture and makes it 'meatier'.. It also makes it better for picking up whatever marinade you are adding.
Silken tofu is not good for stir frying - although it can be deep-fried.
A great web site for vegan recipes is http://www.vegweb.com
I have been vegan since 19y.o.

Ummm, ok. I believe I'll hold off on the tofu for now. Anybody got a good hunk of meat? (You perverts can get your mind out of the gutter. I'm a good Christian boy.)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Seeing what veganism's done to Damien I now understand why Lobo doesn't have a photo Smile
~Will Rogers
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I was never a vegan. I believe I know why now.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I was never a vegan. I believe I know why now. (People, please stop PM'ing me with your perverted sexual offers. Critter is getting jealous!)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Veganessentials.com

Quarrygirl.com

Nativefoods.com

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Foods-Resta......ve+foods

Cruzerpizza.com

http://www.amazon.com/Veganomicon-Ultima......anomicon

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cupcakes-Tak......69242739

A few favorites.

And while 35 doesn't get you within 8 years of being the oldest vegan in this thread, props for the length of your journey!!

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I support my vegan friends, as long as they educate themselves and make certain to get enough nutrients to be healthy (and also aren't all smug about it). I admire their self-discipline.
It's not the lifestyle diet for me, but good for them.

Whenever I get around to going to my room I'll put up the first vegan thing I ever made. It's an awesome banana bread recipe.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Given all of the USA health info we keep hearing about, I hope you're at least as concerned for the quality of the education of your omnivorous friends.

Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
My daughter was a vegan. She would drive me crazy when she gave me those dirty looks everytime I touched anything non-veg. She grew up and loves coming over for a good BBQ Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A recipe for the vegans/a thread for healthy recipes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL