The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should I feel guilty? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I try to a nice guy here when I can, because people here share my interest in magic and I've made some friends, but there's a religious forum I frequent where I'm not so nice. Is it a bad thing to give someone a kick in the ass, or should I put the kid gloves on when dealing with other people's belief's?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Why would an atheist who doesn't have an interest in promoting atheism participate in a religious forum?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What makes your beliefs any more valid than some others? I think one thing non believes share with believers is the arrogance of knowing the ultimate truth and.viewing others as morons. For that maybe not feel guilty, but like a jerk.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Act selfishly.

For my part, I've been online and participating in discussion boards since the 80's. After the initial novelty wore off (and my teenage hormones cooled), I rarely got any satisfaction from getting too aggressive online. Conversely, I occasionally get immense satisfaction from a thoughtful, respectful conversation with someone I disagree with, even if neither of us convinces the other and we just agree to disagree.

But, do what makes you happy.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 17:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Why would an atheist who doesn't have an interest in promoting atheism participate in a religious forum?


Because most of my friends are religious and I spent most of my life being religious. I have friends there. The only people I am an ass to are the ones who are a little too much into it. Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I can't have friends of various faiths.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:15, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I can't have friends of various faiths.


Oh, absolutely. Pre-existing friends is a good reason. I have friends of various faiths, as well; I just wouldn't join a discussion form dedicated to those faiths.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:26, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:15, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I can't have friends of various faiths.


Oh, absolutely. Pre-existing friends is a good reason. I have friends of various faiths, as well; I just wouldn't join a discussion form dedicated to those faiths.


I've been on that forum for years. I know people there from both real life and on-line.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Lobo, "pre-existing friends"?

I can't make new friends who believe in God? Religion is only a part of life, it's not everything. We are all human beings who need to get along and work together.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:32, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
Lobo, "pre-existing friends"?

I can't make new friends who believe in God?


Sure you can. But I would think that would be a weird place to look for new friends.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:35, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:32, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
Lobo, "pre-existing friends"?

I can't make new friends who believe in God?


Sure you can. But I would think that would be a weird place to look for new friends.


Where did I say I was looking for new friends there? And even if I was, so what? Is there something wrong with making friends anywhere you can?
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Revising my previous answer, sage advice here and here.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Are you on the verge of calling me a theist again? Where did I say you said you were looking for new friends there?

From the top, with sub-threads clearly delineated for easy reference:

A1) I asked why you'd be a member of such a form.
A2) You responded that as a previous theist, you have many friends there.
A3) I respond that's a good answer. (end subthread one)

B1) You ask me about making new friends who believe in God.
B2) I respond that of course you can make new friends who believe in God. I also note that a religious forum WOULD be a weird place to look for new friends. The conditional "would" is intended to suggest that I understand that NOT why you're a member there, as covered by sub-thread A. I'm saying that if you DIDN'T have these pre-existing friends, that would be a strange place to look for friends.
B3) You ask where you said you were looking for new friends there (covered previously; you didn't say it, and I didn't suggest it), and also ask if there "something wrong" with making friends anywhere you can.
B4) Addressing the second point in B3) now for the first time: There's nothing "wrong" with it, but I do believe there's something "weird" about it. I have many Christian friends, though I myself have never been a Christian. But I didn't meet any of them on a website dedicated to Christianity. That would be, IMO, weird (*UNLESS* I had a specific interest in exploring Christianity), because there are zillions of places to meet friends, and most of us tend to choose them in accordance with our own interests. Kind of like...I dunno... magicians joining The Magic Café.

And it's not like you're "exploring" religion; you've made it very clear that you spent a lot of time thinking about, studying it, and coming to some definite beliefs by which it's not a part of your life. So if you *didn't* have these pre-existing friends, that would strike me as decidedly odd. Which is another word for "weird," but not another word for "wrong." I'd wonder why, of all of the places you could go look for friend, you would choose to go to a religious forum. And frankly, I would conclude that you misrepresented yourself when you said that you're not interested in converting others to atheism. I would think it by far the most likely explanation for your choice to participate in such a forum.

C1) None of the immediately preceding analysis applies, however, since you noted that you to the forum to stay in touch with friends that you've had for a long time.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:51, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Are you on the verge of calling me a theist again? Where did I say you said you were looking for new friends there?

From the top, with sub-threads clearly delineated for easy reference:

A1) I asked why you'd be a member of such a form.
A2) You responded that as a previous theist, you have many friends there.
A3) I respond that's a good answer. (end subthread one)

B1) You ask me about making new friends who believe in God.
B2) I respond that of course you can make new friends who believe in God. I also note that a religious forum WOULD be a weird place to look for new friends. The conditional "would" is intended to suggest that I understand that NOT why you're a member there, as covered by sub-thread A. I'm saying that if you DIDN'T have these pre-existing friends, that would be a strange place to look for friends.
B3) You ask where you said you were looking for new friends there (covered previously; you didn't say it, and I didn't suggest it), and also ask if there "something wrong" with making friends anywhere you can.
B4) Addressing the second point in B3) now for the first time: There's nothing "wrong" with it, but I do believe there's something "weird" about it. I have many Christian friends, though I myself have never been a Christian. But I didn't meet any of them on a website dedicated to Christianity. That would be, IMO, weird (*UNLESS* I had a specific interest in exploring Christianity), because there are zillions of places to meet friends, and most of us tend to choose them in accordance with our own interests. Kind of like...I dunno... magicians joining The Magic Café.

And it's not like you're "exploring" religion; you've made it very clear that you spent a lot of time thinking about, studying it, and coming to some definite beliefs by which it's not a part of your life. So if you *didn't* have these pre-existing friends, that would strike me as decidedly odd. Which is another word for "weird," but not another word for "wrong." I'd wonder why, of all of the places you could go look for friend, you would choose to go to a religious forum. And frankly, I would conclude that you misrepresented yourself when you said that you're not interested in converting others to atheism. I would think it by far the most likely explanation for your choice to participate in such a forum.

C1) None of the immediately preceding analysis applies, however, since you noted that you to the forum to stay in touch with friends that you've had for a long time.


Nah. I know you're a good guy. I've been told. Smile

You're lucky. Now I won't have to send you a nasty email...lol.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Good post Lobo but I would disagree on one point. You conclude that the likely explanation for joining the forums would be to convert others to Atheism. I suspect the more logical explanation is simply to be a troll.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 17:52, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
I try to a nice guy here when I can, because people here share my interest in magic and I've made some friends, but there's a religious forum I frequent where I'm not so nice. Is it a bad thing to give someone a kick in the ass, or should I put the kid gloves on when dealing with other people's belief's?


There are many things I don't understand, one of them being why would you do this, except to stir up something. Sometimes you remind me of a small child who misbehaves solely because he can't get attention any other way. Another possible reason that you are so vocal in trashing "religion" (specifically Christianity) is that you realize there is something missing in your own life and you need to fill that void with something meaningful.

You said that you know a lot about guitar, so I assume you are a fairly accomplished player. Why not spend that free time entertaining children and families at a cancer clinic?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:56, rockwall wrote:
Good post Lobo but I would disagree on one point. You conclude that the likely explanation for joining the forums would be to convert others to Atheism. I suspect the more logical explanation is simply to be a troll.


If you were following along, you would have read that I've been a member of that forum for years, and have friends there.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:58, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 17:52, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
I try to a nice guy here when I can, because people here share my interest in magic and I've made some friends, but there's a religious forum I frequent where I'm not so nice. Is it a bad thing to give someone a kick in the ass, or should I put the kid gloves on when dealing with other people's belief's?


There are many things I don't understand, one of them being why would you do this, except to stir up something. Sometimes you remind me of a small child who misbehaves solely because he can't get attention any other way. Another possible reason that you are so vocal in trashing "religion" (specifically Christianity) is that you realize there is something missing in your own life and you need to fill that void with something meaningful.

You said that you know a lot about guitar, so I assume you are a fairly accomplished player. Why not spend that free time entertaining children and families at a cancer clinic?


A "void"? That's one of the pet peeves I have about religion. People think that if you don't have a "God", you have a void. I have no void. I have a great life and enjoy every day to the fullest.

The reason we "atheists" bother to go on forums (other than to talk to our friends), is because we don't like religion shoved up our ass. If you need examples, just read the news.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I'm feeling better. I had a chance to vent. Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:06, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
I'm feeling better. I had a chance to vent. Smile


If I can serve the purpose of giving you a place to vent and to feel better about yourself, then here I am...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:03, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
The reason we "atheists" bother to go on forums (other than to talk to our friends), is because we don't like religion shoved up our ass.


i.e. so you can take your lack-of-religion and do the shoving yourself.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should I feel guilty? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL