The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should I feel guilty? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:21, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:06, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
I'm feeling better. I had a chance to vent. Smile

If I can serve the purpose of giving you a place to vent and to feel better about yourself, then here I am...

Thanks, but they don't allow the kind of words I'd like to use here. I was mostly kidding. I don't have the need to vent. If I do, I'll go find some puppies or kittens to kick around.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:03, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
The reason we "atheists" bother to go on forums (other than to talk to our friends), is because we don't like religion shoved up our ass.

i.e. so you can take your lack-of-religion and do the shoving yourself.

Hmmm... Myself? I'll have to think on that one....
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 17:57, Dannydoyle wrote:
What makes your beliefs any more valid than some others? I think one thing non believes share with believers is the arrogance of knowing the ultimate truth and.viewing others as morons. For that maybe not feel guilty, but like a jerk.

You should read Penn's most recent book.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:58, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:56, rockwall wrote:
Good post Lobo but I would disagree on one point. You conclude that the likely explanation for joining the forums would be to convert others to Atheism. I suspect the more logical explanation is simply to be a troll.

If you were following along, you would have read that I've been a member of that forum for years, and have friends there.

Oh, I was following along. I stand by my conclusion.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Apparently the folks here believe that a Christian' belief's are like a house of straw: one ill wind blows them over and so they can't allow themselves to be challenged in any way or debate religious matters.

What nonsense. I've never met an "intelligent" christian who did not enjoy a spirited debate.

A spiritual journey is weak unless constantly challenged. All great religious figures were honored BECAUSE they challenged the current beliefs. Was Jesus a troll when it came to Judaism?

You provide a valuable service Scratch: go kick some butt.

I once had a very pleasant evening talking philosophy and religion with a greek orthodox priest. Both of us enjoyed the back and forth and were able to come to common ground (i.e the importance of community in people's lives and how the church can provide that.)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 20:06, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 17:57, Dannydoyle wrote:
What makes your beliefs any more valid than some others? I think one thing non believes share with believers is the arrogance of knowing the ultimate truth and.viewing others as morons. For that maybe not feel guilty, but like a jerk.

You should read Penn's most recent book.

Why?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"You said that you know a lot about guitar, "

Scratch knows guitar? You should start a guitar thread scratch, I'll contribute to that.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"What makes your beliefs any more valid than some others?"

Danny, are you saying no one's believes are any more valid than anyone elses? All belief's are equally valid. So the Westboro church's belief's to you are valid. Scientology is valid to you, fascism is a valid belief as far as you are concerned because no one's belief's are any more valid than any other person. Is that what you are saying.

If that is not the case, then you have to agree that some peoples belief's are more valid than other peoples. And if THAT is the case, then it is possible for Scratches beliefs to be more valid than a fundamentalist christian's.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 12:20, Slide wrote:

Scratch knows guitar? You should start a guitar thread scratch, I'll contribute to that.

It would be really odd if people who didn't play the guitar and didn't like the guitar started contributing to such a thread, opining that there's no good reason to play guitar, and people who do are stupid, and so on.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Forget guitars. Is there any good reason to play a jaw harp?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Is there any good reason to play a jaw harp?"

Only if you are Jean Shepard
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"It would be really odd if people who didn't play the guitar and didn't like the guitar started contributing to such a thread, opining that there's no good reason to play guitar, and people who do are stupid, and so on."

The difference being that guitarist's wouldn't be frightened by such discussion. They'd just ignore it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 13:06, mastermindreader wrote:

Yes! Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 12:33, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 12:20, Slide wrote:

It would be really odd if people who didn't play the guitar and didn't like the guitar started contributing to such a thread, opining that there's no good reason to play guitar, and people who do are stupid, and so on.

Challenge... accepted.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 13:27, Slide wrote:
"It would be really odd if people who didn't play the guitar and didn't like the guitar started contributing to such a thread, opining that there's no good reason to play guitar, and people who do are stupid, and so on."

The difference being that guitarist's wouldn't be frightened by such discussion. They'd just ignore it.

The difference being that non-guitarists wouldn't have much interest in doing it.

In my experience, as both a non-Christian and a non-atheist, Christians aren't "frightened" by atheists; they're just annoyed by some of them.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 13:30, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:

Yes! Smile

I actually cracked a tooth playing one of those!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Ouch.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 14:27, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 13:30, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:

Yes! Smile

I actually cracked a tooth playing one of those!

I did too. Now I just hold it a little differently and twang away.

So the question becomes: Is there any good reason NOT to play a jaw harp?

"Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!"
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 13:27, Slide wrote:

There's a difference between being a guitarist and playing one. Personally I'm not very good at it, but it's relaxing. I'm not too bad on a keyboard though.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 17:52, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
... but there's a religious forum I frequent where I'm not so nice...

How does it benefit you to be "not so nice" to others?

Even if they are in the habbit of making childish and toxic statements about other people and whatever they believe does not mean you are best served by getting into that gutter or even pointing out to them that their behavior makes a spiritual sewer of the forum.

Your beliefs are yours. If you're a magician or even an ordinary mature person you've acknowledged your own beliefs, owned them as your own and adopted such beliefs as you have chosen to serve your own happiness.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should I feel guilty? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL