We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting Poll: Should women join the infantry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..16~17~18 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 11:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
If only one of them is female, then 99,999 of them should be men - not 100,000.


I totally agree in theory. But in practice, I bet she'd end up having sex with one of the 99,999 men. Which I also would have no problem with, as long as it didn't take place on the front line. Actually, I'm not even sure that thatbothers me. As long as the front line doesn't become like Plato's Retreat, I guess I don't care one way or another.

But I still think it's silly to think that men and women could take showers together--like in "Starship Troopers"--without getting aroused. Heck, that's a good reason WHY men and women might want to take showers with each other.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 08:17, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 19:26, critter wrote:
If I round up to the next hundredths place, my IQ is 200! Smile

Before S2000 corrects you, that should be hundred's place. Or maybe that's part of the joke? Smile


When we get to this advanced level we have to use the royal "hundredths."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Stone wrote:
Quote:
I totally agree in theory. But in practice, I bet she'd end up having sex with one of the 99,999 men.


I'd say I'd bet that she'd end up being raped by one of the 99,999 and no one would be punished. It's a huge, generally unacknowledged problem in the military.

So, while I wanted to make my logical point which Bob and Lobo are in agreement with, I'm not going to pursue it further, because I think the larger issue is how can we stop sending boys and girls for use as cannon fodder. The rest can wait.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Seems like you and I and Pakar are about the only anti-war people around. Or am I wrong? Sounds like a thread topic.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I changed mymind. Toss 100 pounds of gear on those women and put them on point. There is absolutely no difference between men and women in fact askin the sex of a person on a document should be outlawed. Go get em ladies, have fun.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 13:44, Woland wrote:
It's a good one, critter, but I remain rather fond of the three photographic posts.


That last one on the beach... I think real soldiers would have more muscle tone Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
There is absolutely no difference between men and women in fact askin the sex of a person on a document should be outlawed.


Not a joke. Some people really think so. From a "correction" published in The Harvard Crimson:

Quote:
An earlier version of this article used the pronoun “she” to refer to Vanidy “Van” Bailey, the newly appointed director of bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender, and queer student life. In fact, Bailey prefers not to be referred to by any gendered pronoun.


As Cicero said, (Oratio in Catilinam Prima in Senatu Habita), "O tempora! O mores!"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
I think real soldiers would have more muscle tone


In an all-volunteer army, yes. With universal military service, maybe not so much.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 12:50, stoneunhinged wrote:
Seems like you and I and Pakar are about the only anti-war people around. Or am I wrong? Sounds like a thread topic.

I'm anti-war, but I don't think that will ever put a major dent in war's existence.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 13:33, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 12:50, stoneunhinged wrote:
Seems like you and I and Pakar are about the only anti-war people around. Or am I wrong? Sounds like a thread topic.

I'm anti-war, but I don't think that will ever put a major dent in war's existence.


True enough.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I should say I did not hit on the super hot uzi girl. She would have shut me.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Right in the teeth with the jew's harp.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah. Dark skin, green eyes...good stuff.

Don't they already let women be basic infantry? If so is the question why don't we shoot mor of them?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 11:16, mastermindreader wrote:
Acesover-

You constantly seem to misstate what others are saying. If you read my earlier post carefully you will note that I said in a volunteer force women who are physically and mentally qualified should be permitted to serve in combat. I don't see the word "mandatory" in there, nor do I see a reference to lessening standards for women. It may well be true that only a few out of a hundred or thousand women may qualify, but so what? You seem to be saying that those few should not be permitted to serve in combat units, solely because of their sex.

I think that in that respect landmark's analogy is right on. You just don't appear to get it. Equality isn't dependent on whether or not you like it.

Hope that is blunt enough for you.


Lets carry this to the n th degree. Lets say we bring bck the draft. So according to you we should draft all the women then qualify them and find the 1 in 100,000 that is qualified. That sounds really cost efficient. We will put 100,000 women through the rigors of boot camp for x number of weeks and come up with 1 or 2 . That is a great plan. Does that make any sense to you?

I have read here where you served in the armed forces if I am not mistaken. I did also in Nam and I have to be honest I have not seen a woman that I would want as my back up in what we encountered and had to endure. Call me sexist or whatever but if given the choice I will take the male every time in this situation. That is in no way putting down women but rather being realistic. I find it to difficult to find that 1 or 2 in 100,000 to make such a thing plausible. Combat is one thing and serving is another. Women definitely have their place in the armed forces and I will state again it is not in combat.

This might sound familar, Believe what you want. Smile

I realize you say those that want to volunteer. But lets take it a step fuerther. How do you think their male counterparts will feel in a combat situation with a female team? That also has to be taken into consideration. I know my answer.

Almost forgot. Lets ask our wives how they feel about this. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
As Stone has mentioned, I think, and others seconded, it's not only a question of whether women in general are qualified for combat roles, but the effect that mixing men and women in combat units can be expected to have on discipline and effectiveness.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Acesover-

Almost your entire response is irrelevant to what I wrote because I specifically states that my position was based on the fact that the military is now voluntary and that there IS NO DRAFT.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's also irrelevant, because you could draft women, put the ones suited for combat in combat roles, and put the other ones in different roles.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, that's true, but since my argument was based on the fact that there presently is no draft, I saw no need to address that point, even though I agree with you.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
This is positively ridiculous. If something that is as ovbious as this cannot be agreed upon on this forum, nothing can.

You seemed to shy away from the question I asked how would their male counterparts feel about being supported in a life and death situation by females. What would your choice be? Now of course you will say the honorable thing and say if they are capable, yada yada and if you say that I will have to say you are full of it and you know it. You know you would want male back up in a life and death confrontation if strength and stamina come into play.

You can agree with whomever you want on here and give me all the reasons you want but you are wrong and in a combat situation probably dead wrong.

In all my experience in Nam I cannot think of one time where I feel a female would have made me feel as secure as my male counterparts did, NONE. I also feel that there decisions made that would not have been possible with a female present, yet these very decisions drew as closer together.

Of course my response on the draft is irrevelant because it does not fit your agenda. Did you forget there used to be a draf?. Would you think differently if there was still a draft? What difference would it make? Lets see here. You are equal to your male counterpart but if you do not want to be drafted you don't' have to because...because why? That is the whole jist of this discussion. Why do we consider females different? Becauses they are.

As I said in the beginning of this post I will repeat here: This is positively ridiculous. If something that is as ovbious as this cannot be agreed upon on this forum, nothing can.

If someone said this forum has a green background I am sure someone would say it is not really green it only looks that way when viewed by humans because of the light specturm. Also some animals only see black and white so it is not green to them. Besides if we view it tinted glasses on it is no longer green, so green is only green if you view it under certain conditions. You will get some people to agree woith that nonsense.

So if you want to believe that women are just as capable mentally, emotionally and physcially in a combat situation good for you. Believe what you want. I don't relly care. But if given the choice of who I want with me...well you know the answer to that. I really want to survive. It was difficult enough under the conditions we endured and if we employed females I am SURE I would not be here now.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think that if we can't agree that *some* women are more capable than *some* men in combat situations, than nothing can be agreed upon.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting Poll: Should women join the infantry (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL