The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting Poll: Should women join the infantry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16~17~18 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I haven't noticed (though it may have happened) anyone arguing for reducing standards. I would fully expect and not have a problem with "most of the female soldiers" washing out on physical demands. I think the point at issue is, what about the ones who don't?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, I agree with Lobo. I, too, have NOT argued for lowering standards. Believe it or not there ARE women who can compete effectively with men in sports and everything else. To bar them from any activity based solely on their sex is, in my opinion, patently wrong and an equal protection violation.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Are there actual women with low test scores out there wanting to be in the infantry? Do a survey of the infantry and ask how many would like to be something beside infantry?

The argument is simple, can some not to sharp woman who can carry around 80 pounds of gear and doesn't mind being a prisoner do so? And not lowering standards? They have never had the same physical standards. I cannot believe we have been reduced to wanting to send big strapping dopey girls out to get shot at.

Next week; not letting women into mens prisons is unfair to women.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 00:44, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes, I agree with Lobo. I, too, have NOT argued for lowering standards. Believe it or not there ARE women who can compete effectively with men in sports and everything else. To bar them from any activity based solely on their sex is, in my opinion, patently wrong and an equal protection violation.

I definitely have to disagree and would like to know what sports that they can compete equally with a male. I will not even go with the extremely physcial sports such as baseball, basketball, or football. How about Tennis, Golf or even Billiards. There is no comparsion. Men dominate completely.

So which sports are you refering to? I may well be missing the ones to which you are referring . Possibly archery, darts, bowling, ping pong, maybe one of these.

I did not research them because I did not claim them to be able to compete competitively. I believe I know the answer without the research, and that is none. One of the few I could see them being able to compete because I believe it to be more of a discipline is competitive pistol shooting, but even there I doubt it.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Again, the sports analogy is stupid. The question isn't whether as a group they can "compete equally" either on average or at the top levels; it's whether the most qualified women would be better than the least qualified men.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 01:21, MagicSanta wrote:
Are there actual women with low test scores out there wanting to be in the infantry? Do a survey of the infantry and ask how many would like to be something beside infantry?

The argument is simple, can some not to sharp woman who can carry around 80 pounds of gear and doesn't mind being a prisoner do so? And not lowering standards? They have never had the same physical standards. I cannot believe we have been reduced to wanting to send big strapping dopey girls out to get shot at.

Next week; not letting women into mens prisons is unfair to women.

If one of the criteria is not minding being a prisoner, there's going to be a shortage of men for the job, too.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Upper body strength. I was not aware that soldiers bench pressed each other out of dangerous situations. I think we've all learned something today.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Lobo, I think women prisoners might face a couple different issues but hey, some are in favor of it I guess. Lobo, can you make Mills College let us fellows in?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't know Mills, but if they take tax money, maybe...

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Acesover-

You wrote:

Quote:
I definitely have to disagree and would like to know what sports that they can compete equally with a male. I will not even go with the extremely physcial sports such as baseball, basketball, or football. How about Tennis, Golf or even Billiards. There is no comparsion. Men dominate completely.

No comparison? Men dominate completely?

Simply not true...

9 Great Moments of Women Beating Men in Sports:

In golf, tennis, horse racing, WRESTLING, baseball and, get this, BEST WARRIOR. Some excerpts from the article:

Quote:
Army – Sherri Gallagher Wins U.S. Best Warrior Competition

Contestants are judged on events like hand-to-hand competition, night firing and weapons familiarization to determine the best soldier in the U.S.

Gallagher, considered one of the best long-rifle shooters in the country, beat out 11 other dudes to be the first woman to win the title since the competition’s inception in 2001.

And

Quote:
Baseball – Jackie Mitchell Strikes Out Murderer’s Row

In 1931, the dynasty-mode New York Yankees played an exhibition game against the minor-league Chattanooga Lookouts, who featured a 17-year-old pitcher by the name of Jackie Mitchell. Jackie was a girl, but was taught the game from a very young age by her father. When she entered the contest in the first inning, she struck out Babe Ruth on four pitches, which caused him to vow to never bat against a woman again. She only needed three for the next guy—Lou Gehrig, whom we presume was more gracious.

Rather than inspire the second wave of the Women’s Movement right then and there, Mitchell’s contract was voided only days after by then-commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis, who subsequently declared women unfit to play baseball, saying that it was “too strenuous.”

http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/entertai......n-sports

How about kick boxing?

Quote:
Kick Boxing Battle

A kickboxing battle of the sexes version took place just after the above mentioned boxing match on October 21, 1999. Amateur Muay Thai fighter Deborah "Sunshine" Fettkether, with a 4-1-1 record, fought construction worker and first-time fighter Randy Pittman. In the fight, Fettkether easily defeated Pittman 59 seconds into the first round - Pittman had no idea what he was in for.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/boxing......-men.htm

Ever hear of soft ball pitching great Jennie Finch?

Quote:
"Some big-timers refuse to face her," Cal Ripken, Jr. says. "Many feel it could be embarrassing."[27] In an interview with ESPN, Finch explained, "I was throwing them mostly rise balls and change-ups. They've never seen a pitch like that, you know? With the closer distance from the mound, I think it really surprises them how fast the pitch gets there. And especially with the rise -- when they're used to that over-the-top release point -- there is nothing else like it. The ball movement throws them off."[28]

In the 2004 Pepsi All-Star Softball Game, Finch struck out Albert Pujols, Mike Piazza and Brian Giles.[29] "I never touched a pitch," said Giles.[15] "Her fastball was the fastest thing I've ever seen, from that distance. It rises and cuts at the same time."[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennie_Finch

There is no question that there are SOME women who are equally or more qualified then men in virtually any activity. That's not an opinion. It's just the way it is.

Good thoughts,

Bob
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Odds of large numberd. Why do you want women in combat you don't like em?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Who said I wanted women in combat? I certainly never did. This isn't an issue of what I want, it's simply an issue of equality under the law. If a woman who has met the standards required of a combat assignment she should not be prohibited from that assignment solely by reason of her sex.

On the other hand, here is my answer to the original question, "Should women join the infantry?" No, of course not. But if they want to and are qualified, it isn't my place to tell them they can't.

(And of course I like women. I've been married to three. Smile)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Now that I think about it, the original question doesn't really make any sense. I've never heard of anyone "joining" the infantry. You join the Army. Whether or not you're assigned to the infantry is up to them.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 01:26, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 00:44, mastermindreader wrote:

So which sports are you refering to? I may well be missing the ones to which you are referring . Possibly archery, darts, bowling, ping pong, maybe one of these.

I did not research them because I did not claim them to be able to compete competitively. I believe I know the answer without the research, and that is none. One of the few I could see them being able to compete because I believe it to be more of a discipline is competitive pistol shooting, but even there I doubt it.

When Chyna was in the WWF, she had to compete with men because she totally overpowered the women.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3345 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I remember when the celebrity boxing was on t.v. and they pitted "Chyna" from the "Pro Wrestling" fame against fatso Joey Buttafuoco. Chyna was a big weight lifter and could actually lift up male wrestlers and body slam them. She was strong. Not your typical woman. She was very very athletic and they matched her up against an old out of shape man. A lot of my friends actually thought Chyna would win.

Buttafuoco EASILY dominated that fight. Wasnt even close. He knocked her all over the ring. They even gave her a more protective headgear to wear for more protection.

My point is that to compare men against women in combat is ludicriss. If they are "equal" then put the women with the men in Boot Camp and see how equal they are. You are only as strong as your weakest link.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
But can't you apply to be assigned to the infantry?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

It is hard to compare Chyna, a former professional wrestler, to some of the women I listed in my earlier post. Why not compare Billy Jean King to Bobby Riggs?

Ed- Sure you can. Unless you're a woman, apparently. But to say you "joined" the infantry would be like a sailor saying he joined the Seabees.

Good thoughts,

Bob
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3345 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Bob,

The reason I chose that as the example is because that is a form of combat. Albeit a very "sanitized" example, it still shows what happens when someone is trying to hurt you and the reactions. Physically Im sure Chyna could bench press more than Joey. She could probably beat him at most physical challenges. But when it comes right down to it, she cant compete in a fighting situation.

Tennis is an altogether different thing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Did you read the link I posted above about Sherri Gallagher, the woman who won the Army's "Best Warrior" competition competing against eleven men? Here's a more detailed article about her directly from the Army:

http://www.army.mil/article/47144/First_......of_Year/
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 02:24, mastermindreader wrote:
Acesover-

You wrote:

Quote:

No comparison? Men dominate completely?

Simply not true...

9 Great Moments of Women Beating Men in Sports:

In golf, tennis, horse racing, WRESTLING, baseball and, get this, BEST WARRIOR. Some excerpts from the article:

Quote:
Army – Sherri Gallagher Wins U.S. Best Warrior Competition

Contestants are judged on events like hand-to-hand competition, night firing and weapons familiarization to determine the best soldier in the U.S.

Gallagher, considered one of the best long-rifle shooters in the country, beat out 11 other dudes to be the first woman to win the title since the competition’s inception in 2001.

And

Quote:
Baseball – Jackie Mitchell Strikes Out Murderer’s Row

In 1931, the dynasty-mode New York Yankees played an exhibition game against the minor-league Chattanooga Lookouts, who featured a 17-year-old pitcher by the name of Jackie Mitchell. Jackie was a girl, but was taught the game from a very young age by her father. When she entered the contest in the first inning, she struck out Babe Ruth on four pitches, which caused him to vow to never bat against a woman again. She only needed three for the next guy—Lou Gehrig, whom we presume was more gracious.

Rather than inspire the second wave of the Women’s Movement right then and there, Mitchell’s contract was voided only days after by then-commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis, who subsequently declared women unfit to play baseball, saying that it was “too strenuous.”

http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/entertai......n-sports

How about kick boxing?

Quote:
Kick Boxing Battle

A kickboxing battle of the sexes version took place just after the above mentioned boxing match on October 21, 1999. Amateur Muay Thai fighter Deborah "Sunshine" Fettkether, with a 4-1-1 record, fought construction worker and first-time fighter Randy Pittman. In the fight, Fettkether easily defeated Pittman 59 seconds into the first round - Pittman had no idea what he was in for.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/boxing......-men.htm

Ever hear of soft ball pitching great Jennie Finch?

Quote:
"Some big-timers refuse to face her," Cal Ripken, Jr. says. "Many feel it could be embarrassing."[27] In an interview with ESPN, Finch explained, "I was throwing them mostly rise balls and change-ups. They've never seen a pitch like that, you know? With the closer distance from the mound, I think it really surprises them how fast the pitch gets there. And especially with the rise -- when they're used to that over-the-top release point -- there is nothing else like it. The ball movement throws them off."[28]

In the 2004 Pepsi All-Star Softball Game, Finch struck out Albert Pujols, Mike Piazza and Brian Giles.[29] "I never touched a pitch," said Giles.[15] "Her fastball was the fastest thing I've ever seen, from that distance. It rises and cuts at the same time."[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennie_Finch

There is no question that there are SOME women who are equally or more qualified then men in virtually any activity. That's not an opinion. It's just the way it is.

Good thoughts,

Bob

Ha, ha. Nine times. With a post like that I believe I made my point. Come on you are as they say grasping at straws. Give it a rest. Please face reality.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting Poll: Should women join the infantry (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL