We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting Poll: Should women join the infantry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..16~17~18 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 14:15, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 12:05, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 11:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
It seems like the best way to find the most qualified people would be test everyone.


Logical, straightforward and egalitarian solutions like that don't seem to be very popular around here.


It would be impossible to test people regarding their combat skills without putting them into combat.

So I disagree that Lobo was being particularly logical in this particular post.

(I always hesitate to disagree with Lobo, because his IQ is probably twice that of mine.)


I disagree that it would be "impossible to test people regarding their combat skills without putting them into combat."

But I hesitate to disagree with Stone, because his IQ is probably thrice that of mine.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You should both agree with me because my IQ is in the high double digit range!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
That figures.


It's the Carlsberg umbrellas that I like, Carrie. Lovely shade of green. And a very good beer.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Woman should join the infantry as soon as infants join the womenry.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
If I round up to the next hundredths place, my IQ is 200! Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Man, I saw an Israli woman with an uzi in Haifa and she was stunning.

We need women in the military. Saves fellas a trip to town for a lil action.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I consider myself a pretty outgoing fellow when it comes to dealings with the opposite sex, but if you hit on a woman carrying an Uzi, you're definitely a braver man than I!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 15:29, S2000magician wrote:
Woman should join the infantry as soon as infants join the womenry.

You should get ten years in Leavenworth, or eleven years in Twelveworth.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
FWIW,

I'm a retired submarine sailor. My views on these things are far more liberal than most posting here. But . . .



Click on and read this, please.

http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/artic......ed-equal

It was written by a United States Marine.

Men and women are equal under the law. They can share the responsibility of raising children. They're even serving on my beloved submarines. Nobody that's pushing this agenda has talked to the Marines, male and female that have the answers.

Frickin' politicians.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Wasn't it the commandant of the Marines who was the last holdout on allowing gays to serve openly?

(Note that I have nothing against the Marines. One of the units I served with in the Navy was comprised of both Navy and Marine members. We usually suckered the Marines into doing the hard work!)
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I know some women in SCA who are quite lethal with a broadsword.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes only girls and gays in the forces worldwide should be the rule.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 19:26, critter wrote:
If I round up to the next hundredths place, my IQ is 200! Smile

Before S2000 corrects you, that should be hundred's place. Or maybe that's part of the joke? Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Since not all of us are Bob (grammarians, please comment on that construction) who has an encyclopedic memory for all things Lenny Bruce, I might mention Bruce's little bit about Lena Horne and apply that to the military question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf7ZKm3m24Q

If the analogy is not clear, then think on this:
Would you rather have me or Vonda Ward fighting. Hint: I faint at the sight of blood, especially my own.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 08:28, landmark wrote:
Since not all of us are Bob (grammarians, please comment on that construction) who has an encyclopedic memory for all things Lenny Bruce, I might mention Bruce's little bit about Lena Horne and apply that to the military question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf7ZKm3m24Q

If the analogy is not clear, then think on this:
Would you rather have me or Vonda Ward fighting. Hint: I faint at the sight of blood, especially my own.


You have to know your example is flawed. You pick out a woman who is probably 1 out of 100,000 or more. How about if we match Vonda aganist Anderson Silva and see how she does. Don't use specifics to prove a general concept. It is a non point and not at all logical. Men are in general stronger and hve the physce for combat and agression more than woman. End of story. It has been tht way for thousands of years, and will contunue to be that way. Men are on the whole stronger more agressive. If it were the reverse some country would have figured it out years ago and would have used an army of women and conquered the world. Smile

Why is it so important for many of you here to want to put women on the front lines of combat? Is there a reason for this? Are you trying to say they are equal in strength and have the same physcial capabilities as men? Well it isn't so. They can serve in the military in many different ways and in some instances I amsure do a better job than men. Combat is not one of them.

Why do women not compete aganist men in most athletic events? Let me answer. Because men have an advantage that is why. To put it another way and make it simpler. Men are in general stronger, more agressive, and better killers. Makes for a much better combat soldier than women. Hope that is blunt enough for you.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Well said. Although some will think it's sexist, it's very true. We are created equal under the laws, but men and women are NOT created equal.

I got into a debate with a feminist once about women being able to do everything a man can do. I said Men can do everything women can do too, but some things not as well as women. The same thing goes for men. Women want to compete against men, but they want special rights to help them.

I still remember the video that was leaked online. It was of a female fire fighter in training. A couple of the firemen were filming her. She was not able to carry the fire hose up the ladder on her own, and you could hear a couple of men laughing about it. Those men got in a lot of trouble for filming that. But, the video showed something that is very serious. That woman was allowed to be a firefighter, yet, she was not able to do the simple task of bringing up a hundred pound hose up a ladder. I am not saying that there are no women who can bring a hundred pound hose up a ladder, but I've never heard of one applying for a firefighter job. Think about the men who were not able to pass the exame, and the women who passed because they didn't have to go through the same physical training.

Everyone's safety becomes in jeopardy when they make exceptions for miniroities who are not able to complete the tests and training necessary at the same equal level as everyone else.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
No matter who you are, or think you are, there will always be those of greater and lesser ability than you.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I was trying to edit my post, but I was late.

I was also going to add that it should never be about what men can do vs what women can do. To me it comes down to who can do the job the best, not who gets the job because they need to meet their minority quota. It shouldn't be about women and men. All that should matter is , can they do the job like everyone else. I know of a few women who could carry a hundred pound hose up a ladder, but they also have no intentions of being a firefighter.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Acesover-

You constantly seem to misstate what others are saying. If you read my earlier post carefully you will note that I said in a volunteer force women who are physically and mentally qualified should be permitted to serve in combat. I don't see the word "mandatory" in there, nor do I see a reference to lessening standards for women. It may well be true that only a few out of a hundred or thousand women may qualify, but so what? You seem to be saying that those few should not be permitted to serve in combat units, solely because of their sex.

I think that in that respect landmark's analogy is right on. You just don't appear to get it. Equality isn't dependent on whether or not you like it.

Hope that is blunt enough for you.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 09:58, acesover wrote:
Don't use specifics to prove a general concept.


You're so close!

Don't use generalizations to answer a specific question. Nobody on this thread has argued for lowering standards, or for a topsoil that's 50% women. If you need 100,000 people for a job, pick the best 100,000. If only one of them is female, then 99,999 of them should be men - not 100,000.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting Poll: Should women join the infantry (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL