The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Most Famous Person? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
249 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
Michael Barrymore.

He was doing Panto and we met him after the show. With hindsight probably not the best bit of parenting by my mum and dad.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2756 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Isaac Asimov
Randi
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Critter, I believe, mentioned Henry Wrinkler. When my friends sister went to the American Idol after party at the end of the season he met dozens of celebs. Tyrone, who is a very well educated black man, said Wrinkler was the only one who treated him like a person rather than a piece of furniture. In fact Wrinkler introduced himself and his kids and not one other person did.

My wifes old boss' niece was a production, or still is, assistant on Dancin With the Stars and the dancers are snotty while some of the guest dancers are nice.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:57, Octopus Sun wrote:
John Wayne, Catalina Island, 1975
asked him fro his autograph, he pulls out a pre printed card
from his dress shirt pocket, says "here you go son, it's all ready made for you.
he shook my hand and then asked if I wanted a soda, I said yes and he got me a coke cola.
as a kid that was my happiest day, he was my hero.

met Kurt Russel in 1980 in Mesa while he was filming the movie "Cars" I think that was the name, bout car dealers

You may want to check the John Wayne card. He signed many cards ahead of time. He wouldn't even let his children out the house without some signed cards on them.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Joe Dimaggio
Yogi Berra
Most of the 1969 Mets
Kate Winslet
Tony Curtis
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Some of the people y'all are not celebs but some are legends. John wayne? I would be scared to approach him, same with Ali and Tony Curtis. Cool people.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Robert Plant is probably the most famous. I've met other famous musicians and celebrities, but he's the only one that turned me into a 13 year old stammering idiot. It was a surprise ecounter. I walked into a restaraunt in Nashville and he was sitting at the bar,with just one other person, the place was mostly empty.
We exchanged pleasantries then I left him alone.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I only have niche-famous people.

Science: Vaughan Jones is a Fields medalist and uber-mathematician who I met several times. I chatted one on one with Charles Fefferman, another Fields medalist, for about an hour. I met Joseph Polchinski, a string theory rock star. (I was good friends with one of his graduate students, who is becoming a bit of a rock star himself.) I met, and nearly joined a research team with, David Gross, who went on to win the Nobel Prize in physics. I ended up doing completely unremarkable research with an unremarkable math department instead. On the upside: I met my wife at that project. (To be sure, she's not famous). Walter Kohn, another Nobel Prize winner in chemistry stepped on my foot once on the #11 bus in Santa Barbara. He apologized. Made my day.

Magic: I was very friendly with Looy Simonoff, and acquainted with Allan Ackerman. I once saw Lance Burton at a sushi restaurant. It was kind of late, and we were the only two parties there. I was in high school, and I was there with my mom. He was with a few other folks who looked like friends. I was too star-struck to approach him.

Hollywood: Cheech Marin, Judge Reinhold, and Joan Severance. In the same night. (They did some silly training videos for Virtual World, which was a glorified arcade. They came to the grand opening of the Las Vegas site, where I worked in high school.)

Law: Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy visited my law school while I was a student and gave a few talks. He also taught my ethics class for one lecture, and even engaged me in one of the hypotheticals. After law school, I joined a law firm where Scott Harshbarger, a former Massachusetts Attorney General worked. He became my mentor and we met every month for a few years. Even now that I've moved on from that firm, we still talk every so often.

Chess: I'm not sure if I "met" Anatoly Karpov, former world champion. But I was in the same room as him in 1998, where he played a bunch of people at a simultaneous exhibition. Close enough to be giddy. I met a handful of grandmasters. I only faced one in a tournament: Walter Browne, former US champion. He crushed me. Smile

Poker: I met Stu Ungar when I was a small kid. He came by the house for some reason. I supposedly played cards with him, and beat him by looking at his cards from under the glass coffee table. (I was so small that apparently this went unnoticed.) I have no recollection of that, and it sounds a little implausible, but my mom sure loves to tell the story.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The most famous person in the world I've ever met and chatted with would undoubtedly be Muhammad Ali.

Others include:

Tom Seaver.
Michael Babatunde Olatunji.
One of the Quorum of the Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Lotte Lenya.
Harry Belafonte.
Pete Seeger.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Benjamin Spock, M.D.
Warren Beatty.
Shirley McLaine.
Senator Herman Talmadge.
Senator James L. Buckley
ADM Elmo Zumwalt.
Tug McGraw.
Isaac Bashevis Singer.
Alvin Ailey.
Senator Paul Sarbanes.
Governor William Donald Schaefer.
Mayor John Vliet Lindsay.
The last living man to have interrogated the Nuremberg War Crimes Trial defendants.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
David Copperfield. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
David Copperfield
Liza Minelli
Michael Caine

Does it count when John Travolta walked past me only 3 feet away?
Sent from my Typewriter
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 08:56, mvmagic wrote:

Does it count when John Travolta walked past me only 3 feet away?

Only if you're giving him a massage. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm having a sense of Deja Vu. Haven't we done this thread before quite recently?

I met more senators and congressmen than I can count. (I did two internships in Washington. Smile) I've got a good story about that time period, though. There was a rumor going around that Clint Eastwood was coming for a visit where we worked, and we were VERY excited about that. Who cares about someone like Jesse Helms when CLINT EASTWOOD is coming? Didn't happen, though. Another story: I was also a member of a student delegation that was supposed to meet Reagan. Instead some aid came out and read us a letter while we were standing on the lawn. But what was funny was that we had been standing on the driveway when a marine told us we had to move because the driveway must remain empty at all times. This seriously aggravated Sam Donaldson (why he was there I don't know; surely he wasn't covering the story of "Mr Unhinged goes to Washington"), and he was all red-faced angry and shouting sarcastic abuse at the marine.

Speaking of red faces, when I met Teddy Kennedy the only thing I was thinking was, "Man is his face red!"

But outside Washington I've had nary a glimpse of fame. I got the autograph of a country star that Santa identified in the last thread as Mel Tillis, but that's about it.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 19:31, TonyB2009 wrote:
I narrowly missed having lunch with my hero, Neil Armstrong.

That would have been something. Probably the only person mentioned on this thread that will actually be remembered 100,200,500,1000 years from now. If Mankind makes it, and especially if we eventually begin to inhabit other planets, or live out in space... I think people will always remember, or at least wonder about, that first person who left earth and actually set foot on another world.

Then again if you ask 10 people under 30, especially if they attended public school, who Neil Armstrong is, they probably wouldn't know. Oh well.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 10:04, Marlin1894 wrote:
Probably the only person mentioned on this thread that will actually be remembered 100,200,500,1000 years from now.

That's true, I think.

And it reminds me--and shames me!--that I forgot to mention meeting James Irwin. Not a big name, but still one of the dozen human beings to walk on the moon, and therefore one of my heroes.

The sad part of the story was how I met him. I was teaching at a religious college in Pennsylvania, and he was visiting because he was heavily involved in the search for Noah's Ark, so the campus chaplain had invited him to visit. When I got to the lecture, there were no more than a few dozen students. I mean, who cares what he was going to talk about: THIS MAN WALKED ON THE MOON!

After the talk I went to the chaplain and asked him to introduce me. He said, "sure", and I started shaking with nerves. I was a quaking idiot and stuttered out something like, "You're one of my heroes, and I'm sorry there weren't very many people here tonight." He was very gentlemanly about it, of course.

He died just two or three months later.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I met John Lennon once. I've met a lot of famous people but that had to be the MOST famous.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
That's kind of a sad story Stone. But it's true, once you get past Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin most people don't know the names of all the men who went to the moon. I do believe history will remember Neil Armstrong though for a long, long time. It would also be cool to meet him because he is extremely private and almost never does interviews. Although he did sit down for an hour long interview earlier this year. I've only seen excerpts though. I think I'll watch the whole thing now.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I did meet Fred Haise while judging the International Science Fair, and I met Glenn Seaborg while attending one.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 11:29, Marlin1894 wrote:
I think I'll watch the whole thing now.

If that's online, please post a link.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Here you go. He granted the interview to a organization for Australian Certified Public Accountants, of all things.

http://thebottomline.cpaaustralia.com.au/

It's in four parts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Most Famous Person? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL