The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Miss the Space Program? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I am pretty stingy when it comes to throwing away money (except on myself, of course), but I always thought the manned space program was cool enough to be worth whatever funding was put into it. I also think we lost a large part of our identity as a nation when it was canned.

What think ye?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I miss it. I wish we would have kept our commitment to manned space exploration. I know, I know, why should we expolore space when there are homeless people here on earth? People starving. Whitey on the Moon and all that. But I think if we had kept moving foward we might have solved some problems, and learned some things, that would have advanced us as human beings. And maybe even helped solve some of our larger problems. It's also one of those things that I believe Gov't should be involved in because it's not really something that individuals can do on their own. I think it's a shame we haven't gone back to the moon at least.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
On this topic I'm in total agreement with both of you.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The problem with the manned space program, is that Mars is about your outer limit until we either develop MUCH faster ships or find a way to put humans to sleep without aging them. The robotic ships we have been sending get great photos, but only limited "on the ground info".

On the other hand. Imagine yourself with two other people sharing a space the size of one very small room for six months. That is the trip to Mars. Would the three people end up killing each other on the way?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 12:13, Cliffg37 wrote:
The problem with the manned space program, is that Mars is about your outer limit until we either develop MUCH faster ships or find a way to put humans to sleep without aging them. The robotic ships we have been sending get great photos, but only limited "on the ground info".

On the other hand. Imagine yourself with two other people sharing a space the size of one very small room for six months. That is the trip to Mars. Would the three people end up killing each other on the way?

That's true. It just seems like we've wasted a lot of time. Maybe if we had set new goals and continued to move foward we would developed those things or at least made some progress towards them. And now we seem to be moving even further away. We don't even have a Space Shuttle program anymore.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1302 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
I've been depressed about this until recently but with the advent Of Bransons Virgin Galactic my optimism has been rekindled.

As soon as commercial enterprises sniff a bit of dosh you can be sure that the race will be on for moon bases etc etc.

The reality is that , if we don't have an escape valve for this planet its either back to the stone age or annihilation when we finally mess up our environment beyond repair.

Thank God for Commercial Enterprise. (And Andy Griffith who did it first :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mR-gz9EFO8
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
No. Things on terra firma are in total disarray.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I'm with Bob as far as being on both sides. It was important for certain reasons in it's day, but it got to the point of diminishing returns years ago.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 16:53, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:
I'm with Bob as far as being on both sides. It was important for certain reasons in it's day, but it got to the point of diminishing returns years ago.

OK, I think you mis-read Bob. Again. funny
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
My job is to amuse. Smile
R.S.
View Profile
Loyal user
CT one day I'll have
201 Posts

Profile of R.S.
When I was in 3rd/4th/5th grade (in the sixties) I remember them wheeling a TV into our classroom to watch some of the Apollo launches. It was quite exciting! Also, we got a high from the smell of our dittoed schoolwork papers.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
The race to space was important for political reasons in the cold war.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-13 18:05, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:

Yes. But it also jump started the technological advances that have resulted in us being able to communicate on this forum. And lots of other stuff that we wouldn't have if it weren't for the "race to space."
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My very first memory is Armstrong landing on the moon - a huge event for me. It dominated my life for two decades. I took a degree in physics and applied for astronaut training (unsuccessfully, I might add!).

I find it depressing that my children are growing up in a world where we can no longer send a man to the moon. Some of the magic has seeped out of the world. It is now nearly forty years since we sent a man there. We did it without computers, internet, or any of the advantages we have now.

In a nutshell, the world has lost its balls. Hang the expense - we need to get back out there.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Appreciate and agree with your sentiments Tony. But we DID have computers at NASA. Nothing like today, of course, but computers nonetheless. To a large extent it was the demands of the space program that sped the development of the computers we have today.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
14 zillion dollars in debt, and you folks want to write a blank check for stupid sentimental reasons. Oh my God am I here all alone?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Al- that's the same argument that was made against the space program from its very beginning.

In 1924 George Mallory answered basically the same question when asked why he climbed Mt. Everest.

His famous three word response- "Because it's there."

Exploration has always been in the blood of man and it always will be as long as there are frontiers yet to be discovered and challenges yet to be met.

If you'd like a more practical list of reasons for the exploration of space, just do a Google search on "practical discoveries space program"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
"Stupid, sentimental reasons"?!?!?! Just about every single major piece of technology in the world today came directly or indirectly from the space program, as did a huge number of medical advancements.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Not exploring is ouer loss we must keep thios alive
at all costs,,,,,,,lookat all the **** we give to tother coun
tries
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 18:16, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 18:05, Old Scratch Johnson wrote:

Yes. But it also jump started the technological advances that have resulted in us being able to communicate on this forum. And lots of other stuff that we wouldn't have if it weren't for the "race to space."

That's very true, and that's why it was a good thing, but it got less valuable to us as time went on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Miss the Space Program? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL