The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why guitar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Except that every time I do I start singing Soundgarden.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Jaw harp? You sure that is the name?

The only way I could get a girl with a guitar is to knock her out with it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 18:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Q: Why guitar?
A: Buckethead.

And finally, one just for Critter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=end......4hOI9LyE

Used to have this one on my "iPod" as one of my deadlifting songs. Buckethead's coming here but I don't have the money Smile
~Will Rogers
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
An then, there are the singers who are also great harmonica players...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKM5LpFU1Pc
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I really wonder if any of you believe Jewish people are offended by the more common and not ever used as an insult Jews Harp? Amazing.

Hey guitar players I have a question based on ignorance. Why not call it a jewtar? I'm kidding. I know a guy who sells electonic devices to Gibson Guitars and I ead up o Guitars cu while I have seen then I don't know anything about them. They now, or maybe always have, I don't know, they have acoustic electric guitars. Is this just an acoustic guitar with a built in mic so you don't need an extra mic stand or does it give it the note extending qualities of an electric guitar?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
From wikipedia:

Quote:
There are many theories for the origin of the name Jew's harp. One proposed explanation is that it is a corruption of "jaws harp", while a less likely explanation espoused by some is that its name comes from "juice harp" from the amount of saliva produced when played by inexperienced players. While the "jaw" variant is attested at least as early as 1774[6] and 1809[7], the "juice" variant appeared only in the late 19th and 20th centuries. It has also been suggested that the name derives from the French "Jeu-trompe" meaning "toy-trumpet".[8]

The Oxford English Dictionary calls theories that the name is a corruption of "jaws" or "jeu" "baseless and inept" and goes on to say, "More or less satisfactory reasons may be conjectured: e.g. that the instrument was actually made, sold, or sent to England by Jews, or supposed to be so; or that it was attributed to them, as a good commercial name, suggesting the trumps and harps mentioned in the Bible."[9]

I'm willing to take credit.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is a Jew Harp and I doubt anyone here is thinking "why, when I ws a youngun in 1843 23 we called it jaw harp" . For those of you freaking out the term looked up for that wikipedia description is Jews Harp.

Now 'splain this elecacoustic guitar to me.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I always thought it was "juice harp." That's what the guy who owned the drum store called them. Doesn't matter to me though, that's just what I thought they were called.
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That is another idea along with others. The common term is jews harp and as the new Moses I am tired of the pcaholics. Now what about the dan jewtar question.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, the term "jaw harp" is older than "jews harp." And yes, critter, in some parts of the country it is also called a "juice harp."

Jaw harp always made the most sense to me because you hold the thing against your front teeth and it resonates in your jaw. As far as I know it doesn't cause Jewish bystanders to resonate. Smile
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Andy Griffith called it a Jow Harp. (Rhymes with "out" not "toe")

And yes Steve, today's the day. Woody @ 100!

I did learn to play harp by listening to Dylan and Neil Young records (8-tracks too). Unfortunately, I learned to sing with the Dylan records.

A little Dylan history: When he was young and learning to play and sing, he generally annoyed his parents. They lived on a farm and his dad told him to outside, as far from the house as possible, to practice. While he was playing and singing, he often leaned against a tree. It was tent-caterpillar season and they were falling from their nest onto poor old Bob, who was constantly crying out, "Eww, bug, eww!" And the voice was developed. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Two things. I thouught Bob 'that is right I am a Jew' Dylan developed his sound based on Woodie Guthrie (happy birthday the Woodster)

Second I really want an answer about the acoustic electric guitar.

Bonus: I love you Widget the glass walker.....
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Santa,

Yeah, that Dylan story was a joke. You're right, he did admire and emulate old Woody.

The typical acoustic/electric guitar is basically an acoustic guitar with a mic or pickup installed that allows it to be plugged in to an amp. Some have mics (which produce the most natural sound), some have magnetic pickups (which sound similar to electric guitars), and some have a piezo pickup mounted under the bridge saddle. Those have to have a pre-amp to compensate for the low level and the to match the impedance of the pickup to the amp. A lot of a/e guitars have a combination of those for more versatility of sound.

I have pickup mics installed on my banjos to, as if they aren't loud enough already. Smile

- B.H.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have a Gibson 1923 banjo that I play as well as anything. Thank you for the guitar info, basically it is an amplified acoustic sound.

Here is another question. Is playing an ac@oustic the same method as a hard body elec, for example.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
In the opposite direction, my big Marshall amp has an acoustic setting that sounds kind of like an acoustic. Not as resonant though.
~Will Rogers
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I sold my Marshall Stack years ago and I still miss it sometimes! I have several electric guitars, and 3 acoustic/electrics. I installed a pickup under the saddle on my 'beater' guitar, but I rarely plug it in. I have one guitar with an L.R. Baggs Duet system, which uses an under-saddle pickup coupled with a microphone. I also have a Taylor GA Custom which has the Taylor ES System. The ES system uses a pickup under the extended fretboard and also magnetic body sensor(s) which are mounted to the underside of the guitar top. The Baggs and the Taylor pickup systems both sound very natural. I love both of 'em!
Mister Mystery
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 01:09, MagicSanta wrote:
I have a Gibson 1923 banjo that I play as well as anything.

Cool. 4-string or 5?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 12:00, Bill Hilly wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 01:09, MagicSanta wrote:
I have a Gibson 1923 banjo that I play as well as anything.

Cool. 4-string or 5?

Uh...if it has 4-strings it can still be called a banjo? That's like calling a guy a "male" without him having...ah...uh...hm!...a fifth string.

:jump:
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Oh, that gives me an idea for a joke. Mine are 5-strings so I can't use it but if I had a four string I could say it wasn't a banjo but a banjane because of that.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Uh...if it has 4-strings it can still be called a banjo"

4 string banjos are much more common than 5 string banjos and have been used in early jazz since the 1920's. 4 strings is definitely a banjo. It wasn't until the popularity of Earl Scruggs and bluegrass that 5 string banjoes became ubiquitous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why guitar? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL