The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why guitar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 14:56, Slide wrote:
"Uh...if it has 4-strings it can still be called a banjo"

4 string banjos are much more common than 5 string banjos and have been used in early jazz since the 1920's. 4 strings is definitely a banjo. It wasn't until the popularity of Earl Scruggs and bluegrass that 5 string banjoes became ubiquitous.

Ya ya ya, bubbledy bubbledy boo.

"Common" doesn't cut it. And you are totally wrong regarding the history of the banjo. It wasn't until the jazz era that four-string banjoes became, ah, "banjoes". From Sweeney until Jazz five strings defined what a banjo was. Otherwise, the only definition one might have is: a plucked-string instrument using a drum-head as a sound board.

Seriously, you don't wanna challenge me on banjo history, do ya? I'll WIN!

(Seriously seriously...I will. Unless you've been studying banjo history for the last decade or so.)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Five string.....
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I took banjo lessons as a kid and it went like this every Tues:
Me; I am here!
Teacher: got a joint? I'll match ya
Me: sure.....ffffft. fft ft. Er man
Teacher; ffffftttttt
Me; hhhhaaaaaa. Fffffftttt
Teacher: uh... practice what I said
Me;huh? Yeah heehee its been two hours
Teacher; huh? Wow...next weel I will bring two joints...
Me; cool.....should I practice?
Teacher; violins suck hahahaha

Thus why I can't play anything
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Seriously, you don't wanna challenge me on banjo history, do ya? I'll WIN! "

Oh, dude , you win. I retire.

I'd rather put a bullet through my brain than to have studied the banjo for the last 10 years. Fortunately, I've only be forced to play with one on blessedly rare occasions. Smile

What is perfect pitch on a banjo? when you can toss it in the dumpster without hitting the sides.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I know a guitar player next town over. He is 65 so I suggested theybname yheir rock band Geezer playing off Weezer.

I told him about my banjo and he says "know the difference between a banjo and guitar!, I said I didn't know so he told me "after half an hour the audience doesn't want to beat you with a guitar"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 21:57, Slide wrote:
What is perfect pitch on a banjo? when you can toss it in the dumpster without hitting the sides.

How can you tell when the stage is level? The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why guitar? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL