The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » D'lites - question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
minster
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of minster
I was performing d'lites close-up this weekend for some children and they were, well, d'lited! BUT one little boy was very disappointed that he couldn't hold onto one of the lights.

Does anyone know of a way of achieving this?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Interesting question. Problem is, if you give a "light" to one child, the others will feel cheated if they too don't get one. With that said, you might try getting those glow sticks (plastic rods that you bend to activate) that come in various sizes. They sell small ear ring types and small ones that are used for night fishing. They come in different colors and I have seen red ones. They aren't round but I wouldn't think that that would be a problem.
Good luck in your search.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I tell a story that if they concentrate really hard they may see a little red light in between their thumb and index finger. I say I can see it and tell them to throw it to me. When I get it, I'll throw it to another person and so on. Then I 'll finish off with some other moves then make them vanish.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
minster
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of minster
Nice ideas Iven and dj. ANyone else?
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
I do my D'lite routine to music.
Ive always loved the look on my Audience's face when I would vanish the d-lites in my mouth, and re-produce them out my ears. (always gets a laugh.) Smile Although I have never had anyone ask to hold my D'lites. Smile
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I can't imaagine that you would really want to hand out little lites. You can get all kinds of little lights these days (most of them blink, but they do light up) but you would spend a buck or so on each one, and if you gave one to a kid, all the other kids would want one too. And that would get a bit pricey after a while.

You can always tell them that the light is like a beautiful butterfly, and it is only beatuiful when it is free!

And most well adjusted kids (if tehre are any today) would accept that as a good thing. If the kid is selfish and demanding, and crying becuase he can't hold the light, you could just clap your hands together and say "oops", you shouldnt have cried!

For theood kids, you can also use a laser pointer help with the visual of the light being set free to allow the little light to "go over the rainbow" or scurry off to wherever you think (or the kids think) good little lights should go.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

BroDavid Quoted= "You can always tell them that the light is like a beautiful butterfly, and it is only beautiful when it is free!"

Magic Johnathon= "Even though I have never had anyone ask to hold my D'lites, I just wanted to say that was an excellent comeback line. You inspired me with a great new idea! Thanks."
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
201 Posts

Profile of houdini
How dark is dark for lights to show up? If done outside is sundown dark enough?
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Houdini asked= How dark is dark for lights to show up? If done outside is sundown dark enough?

Magic Johnathon= Ive always performed this one with my theater lights dim. Dusk is'nt late enough to really enjoy the full D'lite effect.
It should be completely dark if performing outside!

Here is a fun idea to pull on friends and strangers at a bar with a red D'lite. Walk up to a red neon sign in the bar, and make it look as if your plucking a piece of the sign off with your bare fingers. Then put it in your pocket. You'll get a lot of curious folks wanting to see more!
Smile
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
If you were to do something special with the birthday boy or whatever then I would use the smaller "mouth" glowsticks. I belive they are about a dollar each but mybe less in bulk. Any dollar store should have them. Smile
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Palm a red party style light bulb and when you "transfer" the light to the other hand say the bulb died, this always gets a laugh, because its ridiculous and weird.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
You can buy a bag of tiny red fuzzy pom-pom balls at the craft store for really cheap. Then go around doing a Miser's dream routine with the delights and dropping them into your pail/hat.. at the end, you can dump all the pom-poms into your hand and pass them out if you want to give party favors.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Drop a red gumball into their little hands.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I was going to recommend a spongeball, a la Dean Dill, but this is a great idea.

Gives you ideas to help work on your miser's dream routine for free too.

Great I dea Goeff.

Idea of the Day!!!

Quote:
On 2003-10-26 20:59, Geoff Weber wrote:
You can buy a bag of tiny red fuzzy pom-pom balls at the craft store for really cheap. Then go around doing a Miser's dream routine with the delights and dropping them into your pail/hat.. at the end, you can dump all the pom-poms into your hand and pass them out if you want to give party favors.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Deck01
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
32 Posts

Profile of Deck01
Frank,

I haven't tried this but I was thinking of stealing a sponge ball and pretend to put a number of light in my close fist which is holding the sponge ball. Open it and the red light turned into a solid red ball. This way you can hand it out to the audience, plus you can proceed to a sponge ball routine which I thought was great.

I'm just wondering if is this similar to dean dill's.

Thanks,

Neil Smile Smile
I cryied when I had no shoes, until I saw a boy without his feet.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't really know. When I saw Dean doing his spongeball thing, he was transforming a laser dot to a spongeball.

Unfortunately, he got sick right during the performance and needed to exit the stage in a hurry (poor guy).

Luckily, Lennart Green stepped in and delighted eveyrone right on the spot with no preparation.

Remember that anyone?

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
hugonildo
View Profile
New user
Brazil
15 Posts

Profile of hugonildo
Burn the light using flash paper ( be careful!)
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
What a great idea Hugonildo. It seems obvious now but flash paper or any "flash" effect would be a great closer for a D'light routine. One negative thought though. I don't think it is a very good idea to do effects for children that involves fire.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Anthatron
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Anthatron
Many kids today have the sneakers with the little red flashing led lights in them. They light up when they walk. Maybe you could incorporate this into the routine somehow, like plucking the lights from the shoes with your D'lite or putting lights into the shoes.
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
I used my D'lite to make my Rudolf balloon animals nose light up after I was done making him.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » D'lites - question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL