The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Price for effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
273 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
At $100 printed copy non hardbound how many pages.

If I compare it to Bruce Bernstein hard bound Unreal at $65 and 235 pages with most of his Lifes's work over 10-20 years.
Does give the reader the same value.
The hardbound Magick volumes were $150 and had 400 pages.
You can decide on your price I paid $100 for Neil Schryers little white book of magic, ann it was worth it at only 70 pages.

Charge what you think it is worth, have some reviews from people others know of course and I wish you the best it sounds like it will have great value.

Tim
Mental Threads....



Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
This will be one VALUABLE book. In essence, we are buying a piece of the author's brain. His innovative thinking will be incorporated into routines that will dazzle spectators. For this alone, I would be willing to pay any price.

So...who's excited about this upcoming release??? The time is ALMOST here.

Regards,
Mike
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1595 Posts

Profile of celebrity
I'm keen to hear more on this. I've a method for the same effect and I'm keen to see how it compares.

Best Wishes Michael Smile
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Fyi---the effect mentioned at the start of this thread is really a very very small piece of what the book is about. That being said, I use it all the time and the impact never fails to amaze me.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-12-03 07:50, kinesis wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 09:40, brehaut wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 06:51, kinesis wrote:
BREHAUT: I've attached a simple list of questions to ask yourself in order to work out how much you should charge;


7. If I send a copy of this effect to Kinesis, who is a busy pro mentalist,will he give it a positive review?
8. Yes! He will.

Derek Smile


But Derek, now EVERYONE knows!!!



Ah yes, but positive doesn't necessarily mean good...

e.g. ".....so in conclusion Brehaut's book was positively sh!t...."

Derek


Made me laugh
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11712 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 09:38, brehaut wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 06:27, Peter_turner wrote:
Are you going hard back or electronic? Smile


At the moment, I am thinking a physical book that is bound at a copy center. I would go the hard back route but I'm good at mentalism but the thought of the process of publishing a hard back makes me feel overwhelmed. It will probably no frills---no fancy graphics, etc. I could go the ebook route but rather have a physcial copy to send for various reason including security. My thought is to sell 50 or 75 copies at around $100 (probably have a preorder discount). Once the copies are gone---that will be it. I have had many PMs of interest and I am not accepting any money at this moment til I make a final decision on the price and how the material will be printed. The actual material is done and I can say that all the material has been used, tested, etc dozens and in some cases hundreds of times and works. Most books contain one or two things you can use. I honestly believe everything in this book can and will be used. It is Simple but more importantly powerful material.


I never understood the concept of "limiting" it to 100 copies. Why? Why limit your self and your income. And then, like lots of authors do, bring it back out under the guise of "oh I found some more that I forgot to sell, or, I limited it for a few years."

Make a book and sell it. Leave it on the market. It's a lot of hard work to write a book why limit it to a specific # of copies. If you think it's going to limit it to the curious it's not most that buy it aren't going to perform it anyway. Don't worry about it.

Sell it man!!

John

PS: Send me a copy I'll proof read it.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 11:38, John C wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 09:38, brehaut wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 06:27, Peter_turner wrote:
Are you going hard back or electronic? Smile


At the moment, I am thinking a physical book that is bound at a copy center. I would go the hard back route but I'm good at mentalism but the thought of the process of publishing a hard back makes me feel overwhelmed. It will probably no frills---no fancy graphics, etc. I could go the ebook route but rather have a physcial copy to send for various reason including security. My thought is to sell 50 or 75 copies at around $100 (probably have a preorder discount). Once the copies are gone---that will be it. I have had many PMs of interest and I am not accepting any money at this moment til I make a final decision on the price and how the material will be printed. The actual material is done and I can say that all the material has been used, tested, etc dozens and in some cases hundreds of times and works. Most books contain one or two things you can use. I honestly believe everything in this book can and will be used. It is Simple but more importantly powerful material.


I never understood the concept of "limiting" it to 100 copies. Why? Why limit your self and your income. And then, like lots of authors do, bring it back out under the guise of "oh I found some more that I forgot to sell, or, I limited it for a few years."

Make a book and sell it. Leave it on the market. It's a lot of hard work to write a book why limit it to a specific # of copies. If you think it's going to limit it to the curious it's not most that buy it aren't going to perform it anyway. Don't worry about it.

Sell it man!!

John

PS: Send me a copy I'll proof read it.


I understand your point. My thought is this:

1) I think limiting it makes it more special to the buyer. As a buyer, I prefer limited editions.
2) Is something really a secret if anyone can buy it at any time?
3) Writing a book is hard work (trust me I know)but what is harder are creating the effects. I would rather keep them in the hands of a few
4) There is a value to me to sell out a limited edition in a short period than a year from now getting an order here and there. The value of your time.

I think it is a matter of preference and respect those who just put it out there and sell as orders come in. Most people I have heard from prefer the limited concept. If everyone felt differently I might change my mind. That being said, once it is sold I will stick to whatever I have told the buyers.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I certainly don't share John C's opinion (not that he is wrong). I would like for this book to be in limited editon. Just sharing my thoughts.

Regards,
Mike
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Sounds interesting. I respect the fact that you're inquiring as to what people think and may pay for such an effect, and now a book. Limited editions are of course the way to drive up the price with scarcity. Hey, they're your creations and you free to do whatever you want with them but when I hear things like this I always refer to such tomes as the Vernon books, which have always been an immense value and I see so few magicians doing any of those tricks anyways, so regardless of the limitations, I figure when anything newer comes along they move on to the next thing almost regardless of how fantastic it is.

I do several versions of the effect you outline with a variety of methods and it sounds like you've stumbled onto your own. Properly presented, I agree, it can make an instant legend.


Cheers on your successes, now and in the future:)

Dave
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I have been getting many pms about the book. If you have questions, I suggest you PM me as I have started a list since this is a limited edition. Also, I can answer questions about the material in the book.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Thanks for all the PMs and interest. I finally have it almost done. Will be close to 100 pages. Final decision is ebook or printed copy of some sort. I probably will take preorders in the day or so. Feel free to contact me with questions. Thanks

Greg
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Update. Indivduals had previously contacted me via pm will start hearing from me today. Thank you
Andrew_Jeffrey
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Andrew_Jeffrey
Not to put a spanner in the works, brehaut, but it sounds as though you have created something really magical, and I would be tempted to price it much higher to keep out the merely curious. Yes you will sell fewer in the short-term, but otherwise there is a very real danger that it might go the way of the Balducci levitation and other tricks - priced so cheaply that soon every layman seemed to know it, and it was done badly, making the original almost unworkable.

I wish you well with the production, however, as it sounds as though you have put a terrific amount of work in to get this far. Good luck!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I'm also interested in the complete book. The single effect that I've already seen is worth a great deal, and I'll look forward to seeing more. You have a devious mind! Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-12-31 14:21, Andrew_Jeffrey wrote:
Not to put a spanner in the works, brehaut, but it sounds as though you have created something really magical, and I would be tempted to price it much higher to keep out the merely curious. Yes you will sell fewer in the short-term, but otherwise there is a very real danger that it might go the way of the Balducci levitation and other tricks - priced so cheaply that soon every layman seemed to know it, and it was done badly, making the original almost unworkable.

I wish you well with the production, however, as it sounds as though you have put a terrific amount of work in to get this far. Good luck!


Thank you---I have had an amazing response via pm.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 00:26, DWRackley wrote:
I'm also interested in the complete book. The single effect that I've already seen is worth a great deal, and I'll look forward to seeing more. You have a devious mind! Smile


Thank you---PMed you some details. Glad you enjoy performing Inspired by Staniforth.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
The book finally has a title---"INSPIRED". Thanks for all the preorders. Limiting sales to 50 copies.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Inspired will be sent via email tommorow. The price goes up signifcantly tommorow so if you want to preorder PM me today. Also, the copies our limited and preorder sales have been good. Once it is sold out, its sold out. Again any questions, just PM me. Thanks

Greg
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
273 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
I Got my order in, I hope you all get yours in on time. I looking forward to this.
Mental Threads....



Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 14:58, tpratt38 wrote:
I Got my order in, I hope you all get yours in on time. I looking forward to this.


Thanks Tpratt---finishing touches are happening now. Ebook will be sent later today. Pre order price only good for this morning then goes up. PM any questions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Price for effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL