The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Psychokinesis or telekinesis? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
127 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Which word is mostly used to describe the "moving objects with the mind" power, psychokinesis or telekinesis? I get the impression that "telekinesis" is old fashioned. I have seen the acronym "PK" being used recently. I assume that stands for psychokinesis, and is the more accepted term now.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Both words are related to distant movement. Don't know what PK means other than PK rings.
EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
They are considered the same. Although some think that telekinesis is just moving objects with mind. Psychokinesis includes more such as distorting an object or influencing the output of a random number generator.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Off the top of my head (ie without wiki and google), I'd imagine that telekinesis is moving an object with mind power, whereas pk is making any physical change via the mind. Thus I'd say telekenisis, along with pyrokinesis and other stuff, are subcategories of pk effect.
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
PYROKINESIS!!! That'll work! Thank You, Pog! You won't remember Tabman, he passed before you came to the Café, but you (and he) just gave me my next big trick! Heh, heh, heh, move over X-Men! Donatelli's Gone Wild!

Back on topic, “psyche” relates to the mind (psychotic, psychological), while “tele” relates only to distance (telephone, telescope). Of course “kinesis” is about motion (kinetic). In the strictest sense, shooting a tin can off of a rock could be considered telekinesis. Moving something with nothing but the power of your mind would be psychokenesis.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Glad I could contribute a slither of inspiration there DWRackley; but I fear you may be falling into the etymological fallacy with that comment on telekinesis Smile I guess you could mix all kinds of prefixes to -kinesis ... Cryokinesis, thermokinesis, chronokinesis, biokinesis, hydrokinesis ... I'd love to see something beyond spoon bending, like water sculpting! Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Can't help if modern culture has strayed. Those are the classic definitions. A definition of "gay" might include something else nowadays, but it still means "happy". Cool? Smile

And I actually did so something years ago where I'd borrow I piece of jewelry from someone and hand it back to them ice cold and with frost on it. Didn't think of calling it that, though. It would've worked.

also on FaceBook
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Making things cold has a lovely bizarre/ paranormalist vibe to it, I think. It'd be great to drop ambient temp while doing a psychic stunt - very creepy Smile. Have no real idea how to do it easily, though ... I could perhaps make an object or my hand cold, but room temp is tricky. Needs more brain energy ...
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7061 Posts

Profile of bowers
Telekinesis movement of a object by no visable means.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I once worked in a department store that had a camera department. Back then “Canned Air” was still pretty much unknown. Photographers used it to blow lint or dust off of their lenses (not supposed to touch the glass.)

It was basically pressurized Freon, and if you turned the can upside down it would squirt out as a liquid and vaporize immediately, leaving whatever it hit cold and frosty. I only had to get the thing out of sight for about 2 seconds. In some cases (if I was quick enough) I got the frost to form right in front of their eyes. Fun times.

For a whole room, I don’t know. You might have to employ some dry ice and just settle for a cold draft (not beer!) Smile

also on FaceBook
Juno Temple
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
57 Posts

Profile of Juno Temple
I'm late to the party, but I did a gig for medical faculty for Halloween (Saturday night) and asked: "Those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand!" Got a great laugh & I proceeded to an abbreviated seminar-style approach with; " . . . psychic ability allowing a person to influence a physical system without physical interaction . . ." Telekinesis/psychokinesis, in India, a subject of import, relates to Raja Yoga and involves what are called 'Siddhas's (mind-powers); telekinesis is a matter of (mentally) moving objects over longer distances, while psychokinesis is a general term which can be applied to 'distance' transport which pertains to influencing smaller objects, such as moving matches, or pencils etc in a closed environment. Ouija reading uses obvious physical dynamics, while moving the planchette without touching it would be a case of psychokinesis. So, if you 'could' move an object, let's say from Brooklyn to central Manhattan, we would have a case of telekinesis. Knocking a pencil off a table would be a psychokinetic phenomenology.
We play the Game - but Fate deals the Cards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Psychokinesis or telekinesis? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL