The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Trosts Duo Brainwave (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Ridgeland, MS
588 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
Anyone ever took this puppy from book (The Card Magic of Nick Trost) to real world? Looks very interesting. Just curious.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1063 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I have not, but I'll have to take a look now. Nick Trost is very much underrated, but he has so many great effects, and this book offers some of his best!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1063 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
So I just looked it up last night.

Very, very interesting. I think it has some advantages over the standard Brainwave Deck, while not imposing more limitations. That is, you can make your own quite easily and achieve the same (or perhaps a better) effect as the Brainwave Deck. Limitations are basically the same; you can't let them examine the deck at the end.

Seems like this would be a great effect for someone who doesn't do a whole set of card magic. The deck is (like the Brainwave Deck) more or less useless for other effects once you're done with this one. Although I suppose you could do some sort of packet effect with it. Or, as long as you have a non-card interlude, I suppose you could do more card tricks, but you'd have to do a deck switch.

Anyway, I think I'll make one up and check it out. Please let me know if you do the same. I'd be interested in hearing more feedback on this effect. I'm thinking of a few subtleties that may help the effect: while there's nothing wrong with Trost's prediction reveal, I wonder if it could be strengthened with a turnover change. If you have the effect in front of you, you know what I mean.

Thanks for pointing this one out, Alton!!
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Ridgeland, MS
588 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
I think I will make one up and just give it a whirl..it just seems like a nice routine that is a bit different but nice.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
JK you just do another non card trick then remove a different deck.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1063 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Exactly what I was thinking, gadfly! I'd love to hear if someone actually gives this a go. I have a few other projects in line before this one, but definitely plan to try it out. Trost knows how to please spectators!
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
372 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
I’ve been using a variation of this for about 15 years.
With some basic adjustments, I prefer this to Hull’s original Brainwave.
The strength of any similar effects (Brainwave, Ultamental, etc) is that ANY card can be thought of rather than chosen.
A spectator’s thought of examining the deck should be made to be as absurd as thinking about examining the table!
But if the participant has to “choose” a card, it instantly becomes a card trick in the mind of the audience.

There are, of course, exceptions to this, but Brainwave isn’t one.

The climax of my presentation leaves proof in their minds that I took a blue backed card from a blue deck and sealed it in an envelope.
A random participant thought of ANY card in the deck, removed it and found it was the same suit and value as the sealed card.
Then, they discover that the sealed card actually came from the blue backed deck and was replaced by an odd red backed card!
This double proof makes more sense than the original Brainwave presentation.

“I turned a card the wrong way in the deck, it’s your card!
And it’s red!”
Even if the red backed card was to prove there was no possibility of sleight of hand, the question remains... “Then where is the blue card?”

I’ve also adjusted the method a bit so apparently all the backs are shown.
And the final move wasn’t natural - so I got some nature on it!

Peace,
Docc

PS. I showed this at a Magic in the Rockies many years ago and magicians like Matieu Bich thought it was all sleight of hand!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Is Docc's version published somewhere?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Trosts Duo Brainwave (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL