The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Old (Military) Habits Die Hard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
With the two discussions that took place concerning the military, I was wondering, those of you who served, is there anything you did or learned during your time of service that you still do regularly?

For instance, for me, I still roll my t-shirts, underwear and socks. My wife has me place the sheets on the bed in the guest bedroom and on our bed when she changes the bed linen, because she likes the hospital corners I make. I still check my gig line before leaving the house and, of course, I still hit my shoes - those that are leather - with polish, however; I very rarely spit shine anymore.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah. I always folded the laundry the Navy way, which everyone should. My shoes are spit shined and if scuffed it bothers me. I do check my gig line, yesterday in fact, and it took a lot of convincing that evey shirt should be tucked in. I also remove my cap when entering restraunts and medical buildings, which was required in the Navy.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I do the hat thing too when I'm wearing one, hat on outside, hat off when inside or under cover. I also get upset when a scuff hits my shoes, especially the heel area when I'm driving. If I have something important going on, I will wear my sneakers and put on my dress shoes when I get there, just like I did on inspection days.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Service before self still resonates but everything else was put behind me as my hair grew out. I work with the military on a daily basis but with my rings, my hair, and choice of clothing I no longer blend.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I accidentally shaved my head two days ago. I would grow mine longer but the sides curl and I get a Bozo thing going on.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I did over 20 years and STILL hang my cloths up as if it was my wall locker! LOL ...... Each hanger is facing in the same direction. If I wear a hat, it is worn as it was meant to be..... Lol

Gig line is checked through out the day. I still find myself squaring my corners as I walk. LOL

Ray
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Crooked caps drive me nuts. I figure if you cannot figure out how it goes on your head you shouldn't wear it. I never thought about it but clothes on hangers are facing the right direction.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
"Fast mornings" have stuck with me. In the morning, I wake up 25 minutes before my bus leaves (200 yards only to the busstop) and I have time to shower, get dressed and eat a bit. I need that action. Had I more time, I'd be late for sure.
Sent from my Typewriter
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Gig line is an ancient memory... nowadays I'm happy if I remember to zip my pants up.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Oh, man, do I ever...

Gig line checked every day (and after I go to the bathroom). Hangers, shirts, and pants all facing the same way. Hat (baseball cap) goes on and off right at the doorway. I was making up the bed per regs until just a few years ago - now it's just hospital corners (we have a thick mattress). Probably a few more things I'm not even aware of.

Glad I'm not the only one. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
I've never served, but my Dad retired from the military. I used to think maybe I had a touch of OCD. I came to realize most of it is just habits I picked up from my Dad over the years, which were things that stuck with him from being in the military. I do all that stuff, sheets, hat, gig line, hangers, and generally being neat and everything having a place. My brother (also retired military) and I are both that way. My four sisters obviously didn't pick up any of Dad's habits and my Mom is kind of in between. Go figure.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The way some of the lifers treated their kids you might as well been in the military.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Yeah there are quite a few habits I maintained. The cloths closets look they they are ready for a wall locker inspection with the hangers and all the clothes going the same way. I make my rack every morning as soon as I get up. (I just called my bed a "rack"). I do have two pairs of spit shines ready to go for dress occasions. I polish my regular shoes. I polish and shine all brass and "brightwork". I clip, or burn, all the "irish pennants" off of my clothing. If I'm getting dressed up I put my shoes and socks on first, then my pants at the last minute to preserve the crease in my trousers. I 'blouse' my shirts in the back before I tuck them in. Probably 100 little things that I do, or say, everyday. Usually becuase they work, or make life easier.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 16:20, MagicSanta wrote:
Crooked caps drive me nuts. I figure if you cannot figure out how it goes on your head you shouldn't wear it. I never thought about it but clothes on hangers are facing the right direction.

I realize it's purely an aesthetic thing, but IMO, very few things make someone look more moronic than caps worn at a deliberately oblique angle.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 11:12, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I realize it's purely an aesthetic thing, but IMO, very few things make someone look more moronic than caps worn at a deliberately oblique angle.

Particularly a baseball hat. And I can't stand those flat bills on a cap. But I guess that's the fashion these days.

Speaking of looking moronic in a hat, this is right up as well. "Boy If only I had something to keep this darn sun out of my eyes I wouldn't have to hold my hand up like this!"

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 11:12, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 16:20, MagicSanta wrote:

Except maybe for pants that were deliberately bought with too big a waist... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Gig line checked before leaving the house
Irish pendants cut off in the morning
Can't stand clutter, everything has to be put away precisely or I get OCD
have a high and tight (actually buzz it "no guard")
have to do some form of exercise at least 4 days a week
have to bust on anyone not in/from the Navy (just in jest, and since I work at a VA hospital I can meet my quota by 0730 every day)
all Marines I meet get a series of questions about Chesty Puller's "preferences", then I remind them that technical the USMC falls under the Dept of the Navy
Clothes are rolled instead of folded
I still use the terms deck, bulkhead, working party, mess hall and head (my favorite) daily out of force of habit, the non military people I work with are confused on a daily basis. and putting in work requests for buckets of steam is always fun
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 12:17, kid iowa wrote:
then I remind them that technical the USMC falls under the Dept of the Navy

Yes. The Mens Dept. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 12:17, kid iowa wrote:
I still use the terms deck, bulkhead, working party, mess hall and head (my favorite) daily out of force of habit,

I like those. I also use field day, cover, chow, field glasses, gang way, scuttlebutt, and "as you were". On a regular basis. As well as a few politically incorrect ones that I dare not post here. We probably don't even realize all the words that have worked their way in to our daily use.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The galley.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Old (Military) Habits Die Hard (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL