The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celeste Holm and Alexander Cockburn RIP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
I wonder if either one knew who the other was.
Both tough old birds.
RIP.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes I remember Celest, not sure about Alexender I Have to see his face
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Celeste Holm was a wonderful character actress who was the original Ado Annie in the Broadway show "Oklahoma!" She was the comic supporting actress who sang "I Cain't Say No!" She also had a memorable role in All About Eve as the buddy of Margo Channing played by Bette Davis.

Alexander Cockburn was a left wing journalist and writer known for his sharp wit and contrarian views, who for the last few years had been running the Internet magazine Counterpunch. Often compared to Christopher Hitchens, to my mind Cockburn was smarter, funnier, a better writer, more radical, and less of a self-promoter. Interestingly, he wrote several columns strongly disagreeing with the concept of global warming and the 9/11 truthers (sorry tommy!). To my mind he was best as a dissector of the tropes of "liberal" media types like Thomas Friedman and his ilk, and his calling out of mainstream Democrats as the reactionaries they were. IMO, he was after I. F. Stone, the man who basically defined the concept of media critic in his early columns for the Nation Magazine and the Village Voice.

But this is all TMI I suppose. Anyway, I will miss them both.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celeste Holm and Alexander Cockburn RIP (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL