The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Do nickel-plated cups chip over time? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Do nickel-plated and chrome-plated cups chip over time with normal use? Also, is there any particular advantage/disadvantage to nickel plating as compared to chrome plating for a set of copper cups?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Nickel looks nicer, chrome is too bright for me. I have a nickel plated set of cups I've been using for over 20 years and no nicks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Thanks Pete, all good to know. Bob White, in his C&B video, also mentions a preference for nickel-plating, asserting that the "bluish" tint of nickel-plating is superior to that of the "yellowish" chrome-plating. I've had a set of brass Johnson cups for years, but I've always wanted a set of shiny, silvery cups...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Find someone, other than a hot rod chrome shop to plate them for you.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, the reverse is true about the color. Nickel looks yellowish. Chrome looks bluish. If it is done correctly, the nickel plate will last a long time; however, some people are allergic to nickel.

Most chrome plating is done over a coat of nickel.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I thought the color mentioned earlier was reversed. Thanks, Bill.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Take what Bill says about nickel allergies into account. I never thought about it with cups, but I have a nickel allergy and many watches with metal backs and metal frame glasses burn my skin like acid. I would hate to buy an expensive set of cups and have that kind of reaction on my fingertips!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1297 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I have a set of chromed cups that have laster use of over 25yrs...no chipping.
I have a set of nickel that Donnie did for that are still as perfect as the day he did them.

Quality plating will last...cheap plating will not.
Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Other than possible allergic reactions with nickel, can anyone offer the relative merits of chrome plating versus nickel plating? Or is it mainly just an aesthetic choice?
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
My experience with nickle plating is that it has to be polished more often than chrome but it looks better fon may projects. The warmer color has a richer appearance that is worth the extra effort, at least to me. I should say my experience with the two platings has nothing to do with cups.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Bill and Pete, you guys were right about the tint of chrome and nickel cups, by the way. I misquoted Bob White above. I re-watched his C&B video, and he mentions a preference for nickel plating because of the yellow tint, which he prefers over the colder, bluish tint of chrome.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes all you need to do to nickel is to give it a good wash.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I sometimes use a chrome cleaner from an auto supply store. GENTLY.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The only set I've ever seen chip was an early set of Sisti cups that were chrome. This was over 10 years ago when Jim sold them himself. A friend had them and often did the click move, where a ball vanishes as you click 2 of the cups together. After about a month of this, someone pointed out severe dents and bad chipping. Jim offered to replace them, and he upgraded to the steel ones.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Do nickel-plated cups chip over time? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL