The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging A Leather Wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
I need to age a leather wallet, any tips? Looking for results that could date it 50+ years old.

Thanks CHRIS
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
You might try this: http://bit.ly/M6i6ga
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Is the wallet gaffed?
It may be as easy to just purchase a old wallet at Yard Sale/Flea market/Antique Shop. Then you could have the older style wallet too. Just a thought!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
daleshrimpton
View Profile
Regular user
the u.k
135 Posts

Profile of daleshrimpton
Use it. or, if the wallet is ungaffed, see if you can buy an old wallet on ebay, or in a junk shop. Im sure they are around.
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Yes its gaffed, so I want it look well used and it's condition will need to collaborate being passed down to me.

Thanks
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
First the wallet shown below is gaffed and its not black. No I not telling you waht gaffs it has.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120......1305.jpg

After distressing the finish you will want to carry it with you. I say this again a bit later.

To age a wallet first over stuff it with stuff that would normally be in a wallet, this will cause the leather to stretch,the wallet is carried with you during this step for about a week, then remove the contents and soak it in saline, (salt water), then allow it to dry, refill it with different stuff and stretch in another direction, carry with you. This time scuff the high spots with a ultra fine sand paper to create a natural wear look. Then buff out with a softer cloth.

Repeat process if needed until the wallet looks old. When it looks old and shows signs of wear lightly clean the leather with saddle soap. What your looking for is a wallet that shows abuse from normal wear.During the 50s these type of items would have been taken care of as with most things unlike today where all is thrown out for new. Even after all this quick aging you will need to carry this wallet in your pocket. The sweat from your body or forehead will change the appearance of the leather over time. Since this is something your going to use for many years it will just keep looking better over time.

No the process is not quick and can take several weeks to get the wallet to look right. The only thing I am hoping is your starting with a wallet from the 50s or one of that periods style or you may lose someone when you say it wass passed down but they know the style of the wallet your using was not around then. For vintage wallet styles try the cirrus sugestion.

MagiChrisMitch topics such as this should be down below in the crypt. While this topic is no worse than the stuff spoken in the workshop and I do not see any harm but with that said, the crypt would be better. Just so you know. Not to mention there is not a lot that goes on down there and it would be nice to visit more offten.
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Thank you for all the tips and my future posts such as this will go down below where they belong.

CHRIS
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 18:12, cirrus wrote:
You might try this: http://bit.ly/M6i6ga

Smart aleck. hehe I use that 'site' with my coworkers all the time. Well played.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Just as a bit of an aside, I once accidentally put my wallet in the washing machine in my trouser pocket and it came out looking fantastically aged. No science, just pure luck!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 20:46, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
First the wallet shown below is gaffed and its not black. No I not telling you waht gaffs it has.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120......1305.jpg

After distressing the finish you will want to carry it with you. I say this again a bit later.

To age a wallet first over stuff it with stuff that would normally be in a wallet, this will cause the leather to stretch,the wallet is carried with you during this step for about a week, then remove the contents and soak it in saline, (salt water), then allow it to dry, refill it with different stuff and stretch in another direction, carry with you. This time scuff the high spots with a ultra fine sand paper to create a natural wear look. Then buff out with a softer cloth.

Repeat process if needed until the wallet looks old. When it looks old and shows signs of wear lightly clean the leather with saddle soap. What your looking for is a wallet that shows abuse from normal wear.During the 50s these type of items would have been taken care of as with most things unlike today where all is thrown out for new. Even after all this quick aging you will need to carry this wallet in your pocket. The sweat from your body or forehead will change the appearance of the leather over time. Since this is something your going to use for many years it will just keep looking better over time.

No the process is not quick and can take several weeks to get the wallet to look right. The only thing I am hoping is your starting with a wallet from the 50s or one of that periods style or you may lose someone when you say it wass passed down but they know the style of the wallet your using was not around then. For vintage wallet styles try the cirrus sugestion.

MagiChrisMitch topics such as this should be down below in the crypt. While this topic is no worse than the stuff spoken in the workshop and I do not see any harm but with that said, the crypt would be better. Just so you know. Not to mention there is not a lot that goes on down there and it would be nice to visit more offten.

Do you have a deer hidden in that wallet? Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On 2012-08-01 01:57, acesover wrote:

Do you have a deer hidden in that wallet? Smile

The "buck" in the wallet trick, brilliant! Smile
Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging A Leather Wallet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL