The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » A tense moment with the silk vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Last Tuesday I met a friend I hadn't seen in years. During the years I hadn't seen him I'd been learning new magic tricks, including ones apart from card magic, so I thought I'd show him a simple silk vanish.

I stuffed the silk handkerchief inside my right fist, waved my left hand over my fist, and slowly opened my right hand to reveal that the silk had vanished. Clearly surprised, my friend looked to my left hand to see if it was concealing anything. I opened that hand to show it was empty (taking care to point my thumbs at his face) and what he did next caught me off guard: With his right hand, he grabbed the four fingers of my left hand and asked, "Where did it go?"

I'll admit: at this point I was sweating a bit and, taking extra care to point my thumbs at his face, I hoped he would not recognize my "oddity" so close to his right hand. To my relief he didn't, and after he let go of my hand, I resumed my normal patter and made the silk handkerchief reappear.

To be honest, I was surprised at how surprised he was. I mean, I knew many card tricks back when we saw each other last, so I thought he'd know I was into magic tricks and therefore wouldn't be so shocked at such a simple silk vanish. But his expression was such that he regarded my skill on par with a professional stage magician's. I guess I forget sometimes that even a banal trick can have such an astounding reaction on those who've never seen the trick before.

I've heard a saying along the likes of: An old trick isn't old to those who have never seen it before. To them, it's a new and amazing trick.

It gives me a nice feeling when a friend is so visibly shocked at my skill of prestidigitation. (I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.)

:)
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Close one!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
It's a good reminder to us that it doesn't matter how simple the trick is either!
tkuiveuxo
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of tkuiveuxo
Almost the same thing happened to me when I used TT for a cigarette vanish Smile
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
Quote:
I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

I sure do. I had a similar experience with an old school colleague of mine. He was astounded by the old two dollar bills cut in half and restored trick. He even offered to buy me lunch in exchange for the secret. I laughed and told him I was on a diet, and that a magician never reveals his secrets...
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
I use a FT onstage, almost every show, to vanish an onstage volunteer's bill. Just for the self-thrill of it, I always shake their hand with the FT hand while I'm still wearing it.

It confused a magician friend in the audience. He knew I used a FT, but was absolutely perplexed because he couldn't figure out when/where I ditched it before shaking hands.

*evil laugh*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » A tense moment with the silk vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL