The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rings? Come on... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I thought the rings seemed so corny and old-school.

Even John Carney in his stand-up act in
"Up Close and Far Away" made some joke...

"I'm going to do the linking rings....(no reaction from the audience) OK. I've got other stuff"....and throws them off the stage.

So... someone convince me. I'm willing to check it out if I can find a good routine.

Small Rings? Seems kind of fun at a restaurant.
Large rings?
How many rings? Please don't tell me 7.
Someone tell me 2 or 3?

One reason I'm changing my mind is after watching Cellini do his 2-ring routine to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" to close his lecture last year.

It was a tear-jerker.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John Smith
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of John Smith
Do you think Cellini found his routine in print? If you want to find something similar for yourself, you are going to have to do the work.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

I have to do the work all by myself? I have to learn and everything? ...forget it then.

YES I think Cellini found things in print. YES he found routines in print or people showed him routines in person.

He certainly did not invent the Linking Rings or see one routine and then come up with a completely different routine on his own with no reference material.

I'm not telling someone to come over to my house and put on a show. I'm looking for reference material.
John Smith
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of John Smith
If you are looking for inspiration, check out the DVD "The Legend of the Five Mystic Rings" by Tom Frank. I also hear good things about the Chris Capehart routine, but I have never seen it.
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
Rings only seem 'corny and old' to magicians. I've tried many routines... and every one has played VERY well with 'regular' folk.

Which ones to buy?
I think 10" is a good size.

I generally reccomend folks start with the set that Magic Masters offers (www.magicmasters.com) they're good rings, in a drawstring bag... and they come with good instructions...(& they're not overpriced... not too much anyway... the bag and instructions make it worth a few extra bucks.) If you can buy them in person at a Magic Master store, you'll have the advantage of some hands on teaching.

After that... start researching: Vernon's "Symphony of the Rings" (for silent/music) Whit Hayden's 4 ring routine (for stand up/comedy) Jack Miller's 5 ring routine (check out Tommy Franks new DVD)... there's a decent $15.00 video that Fun Inc. puts out w/the basics.

Perhaps Pete Biro will find this thread... I imagine he has a thought or two on the subject.

Good luck on your quest...

Doug Conn
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Thanks John. 5 Rings sounds better than 7 or 8. Could not imagine doing something like that.

I'm kind of wondering about those cute little rings.
And what are Ninja rings?

I know nothing about rings except that John Carney threw them off the stage Smile

I'll start checking.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
My only experience with the rings is Whit Haydn's Comedy Four Ring Routine. I bought a set of solid steel 10" rings for $35 that work just fine for me.
("Ring magii" will tell you to buy the $400 Owens rings!!)

Whit gave me a bit of advice on the key ring, and after a few weeks of practice and watching Whit's video, I felt comfortable with doing the routine in public.

The routine is fairly simple to learn. Whit's video teaches more than just the mechanics, but the comedic nuances and staging as well.

It is fun to do and the comedy seems to draw attention away from the "corny and old school" attitude. Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I perform a variation on Whit's routine; it's great! Note, however, that it's a platform routine; you'd mentioned restaurants above and it is definitely not a close-up routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

It does not seem like a close-up routine but then again, I could swear....

@#$@$ %*@ $%* @$%*@ $%@$ %@$%

... that people do it at tables with smallish rings?

No?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10790 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Frank go with Chris Capehart's 3 ring routine it is great for walk around and is very fast .
my second
choice would be the Ninja rings.

But as I said chris's routine kills
pm me for more info.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Frank,

You can't go wrong with Cellini's two-ring routine, and the DVD makes it easy to pick up on the moves. For three rings, Chris Capehart has a street-honed, in-your-face routine that's very good. And I'll second, or third -- whatever -- the vote for Whit's four-ring routine, which has the advantage of some fun interaction with a volunteer.

As for the mini-rings, Dan Fleschman, Flieschman, I don't remember, it sounds something like that, I believe he's a restaurant worker from St. Louis, has a four-ring routine which he teaches on a video. And the package comes with the rings and video, so it's a good deal.

That's my $.02 (USD) worth. As always, YMMV.

Have fun playing with the rings.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
You can alwaqys look into jay sankey's 3 ring circus...on sale at penguin magic. the rings are examinable and they are ordinary objects, and the linking stuff is breathtaking.
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
It took me years of research and two years of experimentation to come up with the three ring routine I currently use. I wanted to do 3 rings mainly because a 15" set of 3 Owens rings fell into my lap. The rings I currently use are 12" brass and made by the finest magical craftsman on the planet (he knows who he is and if he feels like chiming in he will). My recommendations, get rings that are large enough to go over your head, and heavy guage wire (thick diameter). The extra weight actually makes many moves easier to do thanks to momentum (plus, if you like the clang, they chime like church bells).

Of particular interest to me are the approaches. There are the "demonstrators." Whit likes to take the arrogance off by playing up an "oblivious performer" aspect and making his spec the hero. Cellini allows the audience to be voyeurs on a private almost sensual relationship.

For references, see Farelli, Vernon, et. al. Jerry Salazar has a wonderful 3-ring booklet, Aldo Colombini also (The Ganson Teach-in Series) as well as a video. The Franks DVD has a version of the Jack Miller routine (I have two copies of the booklet if anyone is interested). Richard Ross, Ross Bertram... I could go on for days, but Doug Atkinson on his MagicRef pages has a great biblio of references (http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/maglinkr.htm).

THe rings take time to learn and routine (as well as develop a relationship with), but once you try them in front of an audience you will see why they are indeed classics.

A few last tips: slow down, less is more, and rely on the fact that the illusion is sound.

ajp
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6927 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Long live the "Old School!"

The great Ken Brooke's 8-ring routine has always been my favorite...simple, flowing, artistic.

I don't know which book I photocopied that routine from so many years ago (BLAAAT! Geezer alarm...)...OOPS! Sorry...geezing again...sheesh!

Great routine, and the "count", when done smoothly, is indetectable. I have two sets...a 10" set from Hank Lee (great deal!), and a 12" set, both fine quality, and ring like bells...

I also like Jeff McBride's demonstration on the Stage Magic tapes...good stuff!

I love "old school" stuff. To paraphrase Kyle, "It's all in the presentation and performance."

Doug
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
The Ninja rings aren't bad as far as the size of the rings. Shoots routine isn't bad either. Especially in his hands. I suggest picking up two sets though because you only get three. If you get a second set you can do some switching if you like. That's just a suggestions.

Richard Ross of course had a great rings routine. He had all seven in the routine but for the most part it's only done with three. His did use the large rings but many of the moves can be done with the small ones.

Jeff Hobson has a very funny rings routine with music. I know music isn't used very often in close up but it is possible. I only mentioned that for yet another variety to look into.

Maybe you can look into linking other objects such as paper clips. I've seen some pretty good routines for that too.

I get pretty board with the rings too, but I have seen some good entertaining acts with them and audiences seem to enjoy it when it's performed well. I think it's more boring for magicians then anything.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Quote:
On 2003-10-16 18:44, david_a_whitehead wrote:
You can alwaqys look into jay sankey's 3 ring circus...on sale at penguin magic. the rings are examinable and they are ordinary objects, and the linking stuff is breathtaking.

Been working with JS's keyrings for several days now and I really like them. I even fool myself. Smile
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Hey Frank,
The Ninja Rings are just a small set of 4 rings, about 4 inches. They're perfect for walkaround...ie-fit in your pocket, get great reactions, and get other tables interested because of the noise and applause. Instantly reset too. Sankey's 3 ring circus uses 3 "key rings" that you would put your keys on. Granted it's magical looking but once again, it's not as good as the ninja rings or small linking rings because they don't draw attention to the performance from other tables. I came up with a routine for my ninja rings set without owning the dvd. I know a few of the moves from the DvD such as the table spin link and audience crash link and have incorporated them into a solid routine. I have one that can be done with a table and one without. These rings are great...get them!
Just My Thoughts,
Bryan
Naven
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Naven
The Ninja Rings are great you only need 4 rings that are 4in., they are great up close. I would get the dvd for them there is some great stuff on it.
I just got the 3 ring circus dvd that us 3 key rings looks fun.
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Veteran user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
373 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
As Dougini said: Long live the old school!

Check out Dai Vernons 6-ring routine "Symphony of the Rings" Ok, corny title to some, but a great and entertaining routine. Every move is natural and the count in the beginning is great, easy to do and absolutely convincing. No fumbling switch!

I have done it for the last 30 years and mostly the reaction among lay people is something like: "..and he used more than just three rings, like the guy on TV...."

Works nicely with assistance from a lady spectator or child, with or without music.

Thomas
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
I love the Linking Rings, enough to close my stand up comedy set. I pass out the rings for examination, using a technique of Mr. Takagi's. The concept of looking at the rings before I link them is Vernon's. Mr. Takagi's method is bold, but effective. My other influences are Jay Marshall,John Moehring, John Mendoza,Bill Malone and a lot of Vernon's classic routine.
It's Fun to be Fooled
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rings? Come on... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL