The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rings? Come on... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The Ninja Rings are good for quiet intimate closeup.

Cellini's Two Ring Routine (Lord and master of The Rings) is beautiful/elegant but angles can be an issue and so it is better for parlor, or street where you have some distance between the perfromer and spectator.

Chris Capehart's 3 ring routine, is absolutely "in Your Face!" and I do it closeup, and on the street. As for ring size, I use 10" rings, and part of my routine I put one ring over my head to demonstrate that "it has a hole in it" as I interact with the specs. I have modifed the Capehart routine, but you can do it "out of the box" and it will amaze spectators and magicians alike.

I never fail to get comments from magicians who say, "I love it! I knew exactly what you were doing , but never saw it! And the take off - is amazing!"

I can draw a crowd, hold a crowd, and close with my 3 ring routine based on Chris Capehart's. In addition to the Capehart foundation, I also throw in a Cellini move, or two, and some things from Dai Vernon's Symphony of the the Rings.

Last week I used the rings as an opener, did some cards, and finished with a rope trick. But that was just how it worked for that crowd due to some usual situation. And I didn't feel the close was strong enough. The hat certainly wasn't. I usually either only do the rings for aquick 6 minute set, or I start with something else, and close with the rings.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
One can theorize all they want about what will work, but until you try a routine, you may never know how good it will work. I do a 7 ring routine, making no apologies, based on the Harry Anderson routine. It kills! And it's one of the routines that laymen love to talk about after the show.

Sure, I added some of my own touches to the routine. But, with a little thought, that'll happen with most routines.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
486 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Frank-- I have also seen Terry Seabrooke perform an extremely hilarious routine with 7 Rings, which he calls "Elephants' Wedding Rings" It is mostly a Comedy Routine, but it still slays the audience every time!! Smile
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
What if Carney was right and the rest of you are wrong?

No realy, I have a preference for all 12 rings, but everyone has an opinion..... I bought the cheap 4" $10 set and cut one ring to make two 4" sets.

I just don't think the specs like them as well as other effects/illusions.

I believe most Magi accept them as part of the art, and not because of audience response. There are a few masters, but everyone doesn't need a set of rings. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Jay has a mini version of the linking rings but with key rings.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I'm not a fan of Sankey's 3 Ring Circus for ONE REASON: It's too small and doesn't attract as much attention. Sure it's great for restaurant work but so are the Small linking Rings. I want something that's going to attract attention and entertain at the same time.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Ok, I realize the linking rings is a classic effect. I respect the routine for what it is. But why do magicians feel the need to have routines with 10 or more phases in it? Ok, so they link...pretty cool. Then they unlink...very cool. Then they link...look he did it again! Then they unlink...wow that's pretty good. Then they link...wow he caught me again, I give up. Then they unlink...hey that's neat. Then they link...ok I get the point. Then they unlink...yep, I got it. Then they link...yawning. Then they unlink...snooze. And the cycle continues.

Yes it's true, I have seen top-notch magicians perform this routine and they overkill it! Sometimes I feel that they get applause because the audience is happy that it's over.

Do any of you agree with me? How many links and unlinks does the audience care for?
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Does the ninja rings DVD come with rings?
Or do I have to purchase rings and a DVD?

If it does come with rings... how many and what kind.

There is something called "Ninja Rings Silver" which apparnetly has 4. key, ring, and 2 linked.

help.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-10-20 18:40, Frank Starsini wrote:
Does the ninja rings DVD come with rings?
Or do I have to purchase rings and a DVD?

I'm sorry to say you must purchase them seperately.

I use an eight ring routine with Linking Rings. I learned from the instructions, from Symphony of the rings and from my own ideas.
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Quote:
If it does come with rings... how many and what kind.

There is something called "Ninja Rings Silver" which apparnetly has 4. key, ring, and 2 linked.

help.

Exactly, Ninja Rings comes with 4 rings, single, double and a key ring. Actually in Asia its a common "cheap" item, it came with almost every magic-set there. The quality isn't bad, the rings doesn't have the obvious "solder" on them. I still have my rings come with my magic set, I got a 2nd set of rings too. The dealer give it to me when I learn the routine from him.

I'm not sure the quality that of Shoot's rings I think that will be superb. But $35 for the rings IMHO that's too much. Its good to get the dvd to learn the routine, the rings can get from elsewhere.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK, here is the final word.

If you have the time and patience learn Dai Vernon's Symphony of the rings.

Now, due to weight restrictions, when I was in the Army, I narrowed it down to five rings. One key one single so you can link/unlink, then the set of three so I could do gag figures.

Turns out Jay Marshall had same problem/solution. He has toured the world and done a zillion tv shows with five ring routine.

If you don't do a lot of talk, and want a smooth routine (Cellini and Capehart do some great moves, but... in my opinion...) the most practical to learn first is Al Koran's three ring routine.

For Close UP? Get the Ninja Rings ... you can do the Ogawa stuff (some is very hard but can be left out) or you can do a variation of Whit Haydn's routine with the four ninjas....

Now, I gotta get back to work on my Linking Ring book, up to three hundred pages of stuff so far... more to come. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Gee, Pete...

No mention of the great Ken Brooke? That's an act I would have LOVED to catch!

Doug
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Quote:
On 2003-10-20 14:38, cardguy wrote:
Ok, I realize the linking rings is a classic effect. I respect the routine for what it is. But why do magicians feel the need to have routines with 10 or more phases in it? Ok, so they link...pretty cool. Then they unlink...very cool. Then they link...look he did it again! Then they unlink...wow that's pretty good. Then they link...wow he caught me again, I give up. Then they unlink...hey that's neat. Then they link...ok I get the point. Then they unlink...yep, I got it. Then they link...yawning. Then they unlink...snooze. And the cycle continues.

Yes it's true, I have seen top-notch magicians perform this routine and they overkill it! Sometimes I feel that they get applause because the audience is happy that it's over.

Do any of you agree with me? How many links and unlinks does the audience care for?

Frank,
I agree that too much repetition can ruin an effect. However, that could be said of the ambitious card, cups and balls, egg bag, ring off rope, 3 card monte etc. How many sequences is the right amount? It's going to depend on your presentation, your audience, and your venue.
Mindless repetition can bore an audience but if variations on a theme are woven into a presentation that for example tells a story, it can be very entertaining and fascinating to the spectators.
I use 6 Owen 12 inch rings. My routine is eclectic being influenced by Vernon, Ross, Cellini, and Colombini to name just a few. The routine is presented in verse and tells a story. The rhyme gives a pace and rhythm to the presentation. It helps direct and misdirect the audience's attention. I recently had a woman come after the show and tell me how much she loved "those rings" and said she felt that the magic happening together with the rhyme were mesmerizing and when it was over she though she just came out of a trance. Well, I wish all of my audiences had such memorable experiences. It does show that if we can reach our audiences emotionally, repetition can be a strength rather than a weakness. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Very good point Count, I agree.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Excellent point Larry, and a great example of doing an effect in a way that doesn't follow the crowd of other performers.

Like all good magic, with rings, you need to start somewhere - usually a take off of someone else's perfromance, but somewhere along the line, you have to make it yours! You do that by variations, combinations, or new creations, but you make it your own.

When it is yours, you own it, and when you own it, you can own the audience when perfroming it!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dougini my man, the Al Koran routine was published and sold by Ken Brooke.

I wish I didn't have nasty arthritic wrists or I would do Ken's incredible ring count.

He had some great bits too. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks, Pete! Smile

Sorry to hear about arthritis! Man... That ring count is flawless! Getting a bit of pain in the arms and shoulders as I get older. I wonder if that's the sign...?

Al Koran...I need to do some reading, obviously...I only have the worn, dog-eared, fading photocopy of the Ken Brooke Routine that I got from a library book, oh so long ago! It's been my favorite routine. I may be an old dog, but I can still learn new trix! Ha!

Pete, you are, IMO, so fortunate to have known Mr. Brooke. I'd be willing to bet you have run across Supreme Magic (now defunct?) in your travels. Never been to GB, but have always wondered what Edwin Hooper was like, and wished I could see him perform.

I had two of Edwin's books, but (during a terrible slump in income) had to sell them. I kick myself regularly for that. I picked a poor career. The industry (radio) changed, and left me scrambling for any odd job that'll keep me alive.

Ahh, Ken Brooke. The stories you could tell, Pete...

Sorry...I got a bit off-topic. The rings...yes the classic rings...how can you improve on such a classic? The false count is VERY important to master. Hiding the key ring is another. I prefer a key ring gap you could drive a CAR through, making fumbling practically non-existant. I usually let music talk for me, as I'm not much of a "patterer" (the radio business being an exception) while performing.

Wow, long post...sorry guys...must be the strong tea... Smile

Doug
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Another nice routine is Jack Dean's "FouRings", which is a great four ring routine.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5362 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Paul, you forgot to mention that Dean’s Four Ring Routine does not use a key ring.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ok. Guess what!!!

Wrong.

I went to the magic store and bought....
a set of 4" linking rings for ..... $10.

Genuine Chinese!

So.. I didn't just get the 4 rings. I got all 8.

So now what do I do?

Luckily there's a simple routine in the box to practice with.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rings? Come on... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL