The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Thought Association Card review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Thought Association Card

Effect:

Two volunteers are handed a card containing 80 words (no repeats). Each volunteer is asked to mentally select a word (free choice). The volunteers mentally spell their words as you attempt to sense any reactions they have to the letters. Silently focusing on one of the letters, each volunteer is asked to think of a new word beginning with that letter. This process is repeated two more times, making it impossible for anyone to have any idea of the final words in the minds of the volunteers.

You ask the volunteers to concentrate on their final word selections as you write your impressions on the back of your business card. Only after you have placed the business card on the table do you instruct the volunteers to announce the words they have in their minds and have one of them turn over the business card. The words on the business card match the volunteers’ words!

Impossible? Your audience will think so…

- Nothing written down
- No fishing
- No switches
- No secret writing
- One or two volunteers
- Fits in your wallet

* “Thought Association Card” was designed to be used with U.S. volunteers.

I really like this!

It's a good effect that requires no memory work(besides remembering the sequence/steps).It's pretty straight forward,the method flows nicely & no one is spending half an hour doing nonsensical mathematical equations to get to a special number or anything like that.

This is a PDF download,you do not get a printed,laminated card as you do with most wallet mentalism cards.
I like this a lot,you can print new ones as needed & laminate them yourself(if you want to).

2 versions of the card are included to print.

I'm thinking of using this for pre show as part of a prediction routine I do.

Definitely recommended!

Mike
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Mike,

This could definitely be used as part of a prediction routine. Let us know how it works out (and thanks for the great review).

Regards, Steve
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Michael,

I would be interested in hearing more how you would use this for p**-s***. Not knowing anything about you, your character or your style, might I be bold as to recommend you try it a few times just as Steve has written it up before using it in a different manner?

I recently performed this at a show before a group of Realtors, and the reaction was nothing short of amazing. It absolutely floored them. In talking with Steve about variations, I suggested having the spectators write something down. While he did not tell me I shouldn't do it, he did recommend, in a kind and gentle manner, that the spectators not write anything down.

So, I performed it just as Steve wrote it up, and it worked beautifully. The reaction is so strong, I fear you might diminish it somewhat with p**-s***, though I could be wrong.

Best wishes,

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Nice Review, worth a look then.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I bought this two days ago knowing how it worked. It was easy to learn so I decided to preformed it yesterday.

The person started laughing really hard when I told them their word. They were completely taken by the way I knew the word that they were only thinking of.

I asked them if it felt like I really did read their mind and they said, 'HAIL YEA!" .......

I am really happen that I bought this. It is a keeper. And something the appears to be the REAL DEAL!

Best
Ray
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1104 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Is the thought of new word also on the card or can it be any word?
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-31 08:30, Russell Davidson wrote:
Is the thought of new word also on the card or can it be any word?

The thought of new word is not on the card. That would take away from the overall look and feel of the routine. For a better understanding of the routine, re-read the opening post.

Best
Ray

P.S in my above post I have the word happen instead of happy. That is because I am using a darn iPad and it makes corrections whenever it thinks it knows Better than me. LOL

Ray
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Russell,

I just want to mention that the current version of "Thought Association Card" is designed to be used with U.S. volunteers. I am currently working on a UK version and hope to have it out in the very near future.

Regards, Steve
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Ray,

Nice to hear about your success. It is freaky. Isn't it a shame, sort of, that we never got to experience the effect performed for us, because this is a thing of terrifying beauty, if I may steal a phrase.

Ray, what was it like for you the moment before the spectator(s) revealed the words? At that point, I was thinking it was sink or swim. There is no turning back. I was relieved and elated when I correctly predicted both words. This is an amazing effect. I have put it in my show.

Russell, the effect is a Cognitive Association Skills Test. So, the words on the cards are a jumping off point for the spectators to think of other, random words.

Bobby
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
I assume you can't name the original word... Is that correct?

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Craig,

That is correct, you cannot name the original words the volunteers chose. You could, if you wanted to, shorten the routine and reveal their words one step earlier in the process (but I would not do so).

As Bobby mentioned, I always experience a little bit of anxiety (for any mentalism effect I perform), because there is always the small chance that something will go wrong. I've seen magicians, as volunteers, accidentally drop a pack of cards and ruin the effect! I think the anxiety, however, is a good thing; if you are (actually) just a little nervous, that is likely to come through in your performance and, I believe, help "sell" the idea that mentalism is not a 100%, sure-fire thing... it makes it more believable. Well, just my opinion Smile

Regards, Steve
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2012-07-28 23:35, robwar0100 wrote:
Michael,

I would be interested in hearing more how you would use this for p**-s***. Not knowing anything about you, your character or your style, might I be bold as to recommend you try it a few times just as Steve has written it up before using it in a different manner?

I recently performed this at a show before a group of Realtors, and the reaction was nothing short of amazing. It absolutely floored them. In talking with Steve about variations, I suggested having the spectators write something down. While he did not tell me I shouldn't do it, he did recommend, in a kind and gentle manner, that the spectators not write anything down.

So, I performed it just as Steve wrote it up, and it worked beautifully. The reaction is so strong, I fear you might diminish it somewhat with p**-s***, though I could be wrong.

Best wishes,

Bobby

How would I use it for pre show?
Are you joking?

The way it's written up works just fine,but I rarely do things as they come out of the package.

I must be missing something, how would pre show diminish the effect?

They make choices & have a word in mind,I reveal it later.

As my routine goes,before the show,several people make free choices(a word from a book,an amount of change,a movie & a random object).Later in the show,a locked box that has been in full view all night Smile is unlocked & all the choices are correctly predicted.

This could easily replace how the word is chosen.

Mike
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Picked this up today and it's very clever. The only problem I foresee is that this isn't going to work well with a large amount of people...you run the risk of them not being able to think of an appropriate word for the initial letter match and then run off on an unexpected tangent. Still, it's going to be fun playing with it!

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Mike,

Thanks. What you have described is impressive.

I made a decision to no longer use pre-show and look for ways to accomplish the same kinds of things in real time, as I have done with Max Maven's Four-Sided Triangle. And Steve's effect plays strong, very strong, as it is.

I wish you well and would love to hear how it works out for you.

Bobby
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Craig,

I looked for guys in their late 30s or older.

Bobby
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Craig,

I've found it fairly easy to sense when one or both of the volunteers are having some trouble with the first word. In those cases, I've suggested they "use a lifeline" and ask a friend to help them out and that's usually enough. Bobby's suggestion about guys in their late 30s or older as volunteers will also help avoid any problems from the start. In any case, I know you'll have fun with this Smile

Regards, Steve
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

I did this last night and once again it totally rocked!

I am really starting to like this more and MORE!

Ray
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Ray,

That's great! I love the reactions Smile

Regards, Steve
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-31 19:43, cpatchett wrote:
Picked this up today and it's very clever. The only problem I foresee is that this isn't going to work well with a large amount of people...you run the risk of them not being able to think of an appropriate word for the initial letter match and then run off on an unexpected tangent. Still, it's going to be fun playing with it!

Craig

I have solved this little issue!

I have re-worked the routine in the event that this may happen. It is now 100% user friendly and so easy! LOL

So you can now have a plan B to work with when you need it.

Ray
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

I will be including Ray's "Plan B" in a revised manuscript that I will send out to all those who've already purchased Thought Association Card. It's a very clever solution.

Regards, Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Thought Association Card review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL