The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » UNmemorized Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aftereight
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aftereight
Hi,

Marcelo Insúa of Tango Magic has developed - UNmemorized Deck. He was awarded at the FISM 2012 with the Invention prize. Hocus Pocus just start taking pre-orders.

Does anybody know what UNmemorized Deck is?

Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFSMwK7pmew

Here is the description:

Marcelo Insúa of Tango Magic has been developing and professionally performing his UNmemorized Deck for the past ten years, delighting and fooling both laymen and experienced magicians worldwide. In over 100 lectures in 20 countries in the most prestigious magic clubs and venues, he has dazzled audiences with his stress-free card system. Even the most knowledgeable magicians are baffled by how the effects are done.

Amazingly, there is no sleight of hand, no special cards, no memorization, no work, and no stress. It is as close to real magic as you can get. You will be delighted by the brilliant principle and ease of creating miracles. Now you, too, can share in the remarkable secrets of the UNmemorized Deck.

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5079 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I bought it directly from http://www.hocus-pocus.com/ (shipping is free) when I saw this post.
Looks like a great thing for cardworkers.
Aftereight
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aftereight
Hi Kjellstrom,

Just yesterday I read your post regarding Memorized Deck by Martin Joyal, which I never heard of before and today I start reading the book you advise. So thank you for that. I will also buy the UNmemorized deck, so if you will post some review in the future, please do so and thank you.

Regards Matt
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I bought it. I am very excited to start working with this. I hope it's as good as advertised.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5079 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Hi Aftereight. Joyal stack made My cardwork to à new level. You can do Amazing effects With à memo stack.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Has anyone seen this UNmemorized deck in action? I would like to know what I bought lol.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 16:24, twistedace wrote:
Has anyone seen this UNmemorized deck in action? I would like to know what I bought lol.

I too would like to know what the effect is. The video trailer is next to worthless. I'm tired of buying a pig in a poke.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Agree,it's a worthless demo
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1173 Posts

Profile of paperinick
"Imagine being able to do the same types of miracles as the Memorized Deck with no memory and a shuffled deck!"
This by itself sounds very fishy. It's not the "same miracles" but the "same type of miracles". Mmmmm.
Then the mysterious video. Double mmmmmm.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
So no one has anything to say about this yet?
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
Aftereight
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aftereight
Nooup... We are all waiting...
But still.. If you learn memorized deck... why would you do anything else??? Learning memorized deck is easy, so Unmemorized deck must be really good, to convince me to use it. Just my opinion...
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
“Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.”
-Henry Ford

With all due respect to Marcelo Insúa, here are a few random thoughts about the memorized deck.

1. Most magicians who are interested in getting started with memorized deck work overestimate the time and effort required to learn a memorized deck. Juan Tamariz has shown that you can learn memorized deck in a single afternoon, once you get over your internal mental block.

2. A memorized deck is not a panacea. It won’t solve all of your problems and turn you into a great magician overnight. Rather, the memorized deck is a tool that amplifies the skills that you already have. You can still do interesting things without too much sleight of hand, but there are limits on what you can accomplish. If you already have the ability to do false shuffles, false cuts, estimation, and passes, the memorized deck will take your magic to a higher level, almost immediately.

3. Most magicians who decide to learn a memorized deck spend too much time looking for the perfect answer. It’s easy to spend years in search of that elusive, perfect memorized deck. The Holy Grail is a memorized deck that you can master with no effort at all, and many magicians are willing to wait until they find it.

My advice: pick a stack (Nicola, Aronson, Tamariz, Joyal, etc.) and learn it. Spend one month working on the problem. You might surprise yourself.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2369 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I'll add to Barry's suggestions the observation that most magicians interested in memorized deck work think that there's only one good way to memorize a deck: classical mnemonics. In truth, that is only one of four traditional methods, and many would argue that it's not the best one!

I agree that it's not nearly as difficult to memorize a deck as some people think, especially if one chooses a method that is best suited to the needs of the individual student.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2369 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Getting back to the original topic, I've now seen a more detailed review of the so-called "Unmemorized Deck", and it has nothing to do with memorized decks. It's a very old technique revisited (though not as well as other existing versions), and while it can be used for a couple of memorized-deck-like effects (not particularly good ones), as can many other techniques, it bears no relationship to actual memorized deck ideas.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I've posted my thoughts in thenLatest and Greatest forum, overall it's pretty worthless if you already know the mem deck. It has a lot of draw backs and is very similar to another principle I learned a long time ago.
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
I'm typically not one to play guessing games about methods etc... sometimes a creator will post a video in an effort to genuinely give a representation of the effect of a trick and then discussion digresses to just method guessing games, exposure etc.... I'm not in favor of all that....

however, Smile in this case, where the demo video shows basically nothing and is just narrated ad copy... I feel justified at taking a stab.....
this smells to me like a 25 dollar trick which is basically "did you ever notice that 26 of the cards have rounded indices and 26 do not??" or something similar to that??... basically just some visual attribute of a deck of cards which would allow you to pick one card that doesn't belong amongst a group of cards.... .. and all for the bargain price of 25 dollars !! (insert sarcasm)...

ok... I'm in a grumpy mood and that demo video made me grumpier.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Caveat Emptor!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8552 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
A student of mine, using my memory system for cards, memorizes THREE decks in 3 to 5 minutes!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8552 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Oh, let me save you time/trouble --- he's not a magician, he's in the "locksmith" business, and he lives in Kansas. He, incidentally, isn't the only one who can do that using my systems - I personally would never bother.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Sounds like a joke... why would anyone spend so much time and effort memorizing a deck when they can use this... not possible
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » UNmemorized Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL