The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wine bottle corks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Does anyone do the classic cork effect in which two cork held by thumb and fore-finger whilst interlocked manage to melt through each other?

Its often done as a table effect in which the audience try to do it themselves as well.

Any body any news to post on this one?

Count ZAPIK Smile

******OCTOBER 20TH***************

Corks, you know the things that you find in the neck of wine bottles?

Count Zapik Smile

*****Later that same day************

I'll turn the light off on my way out.

Best wishes

Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Funny 2nd and 3rd postings! If I could help you I would. I've seen it numerous time but I've never done it. I think of it as more of a puzzle than a magic effect...something that might be cute to do at a bar or a restaurant and then teach the spectators.

Larry D.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
It is more of a puzzle effect as Larry stated. I usually don't do it in a magic atmosphere, normally I'll do it if we are out to dinner at a place that doesn't serve wine in the box (much easier with corks). When I do it, it sets up the challenge atmosphere, so that's why I don't recommend it for magic. Plus, it usually *****es people off when they can't figure it out.

oliver
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, I know it and just did it last Friday nite for a bartender.

I have not done it for quite some time.

It is like a puzzle but with adaquate presentation it could be very magical.

I've done it VERY VERY slowly for people and nobody can ever figure it out.

You can make it magic if you do it right.

People will try it for, literally, hours!

I never teach it to anyone.

The funny thing is. Once people do figure it out... they forget how it's done the next day.

Go for it. Make it magic! I don't see why it cannot be as magical as Crazyman's Handcuffs.

I do see how the two could possibly be performed together as a routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

I am sure it is the Martin Gardener Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.

I have used it for years. It appears to be very magical if done slowly. The corks just seem to melt through each other.

Here is a tip to make it even more fun: Paint two corks with gold paint and put them in a leather/suede/satin pouch (yes, let the paint dry first). Introduce the pouch (glad to meet you) and imbue (great word) it with importance. When you pour out the corks, you will get some kind of reaction.

I have found that women are more likely to be able figure out the MO of the trick/puzzle.

I also do a few more things with corks.

Keep looking for good magic.

Regards,

Paul Green
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
The corks could be all you have left of your genie (djin) collection. Somebody went off half corked.

cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I guess you could do this effect as a follow up to
Jiggernaut.
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
I've heard about that trick a million times but I have never seen it performed. Often people metion it after the CMH :

Herm, Somebody should tell me how its done.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Hey I didn't realize it was so crowded in here,where were you guys hiding!

Thanks for some great postings.

The effect, although mentioned in Gardener's Impromptu Magic book, is not explained. You get referred to a much earlier source. A Prof. Putter did mention it in a recent Linking Ring Magazine.

I like el_Lamo's line about the corks being all that is left of his Genie, that's beautifully wacky & amusing.

I started this post in part because whilst passing a table the other night the sight of so many corks on one particular table encouraged me to stop and get folk to do the effect. Imagine my chagrin when it dawned on me I couldn't remember how to do it! Oh well.

Anyway I remember now. In the realm of things its just an amusing little ditty, however.

In the past I 've done it for folk on tables and left them to play with the problem until I had a chance to get back to them for a proper performance. I have a couple of things like this I introduce people to before I see them properly for close-up. This way they get the impression they have more time with the magician, and in a sense they do.

I wonder if any one knows of other quick low key impromptu effects that could be used to hold the attention of punters whilst they wait to see the magi proper for close-up type magic?

Best fishes Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Sorry for being late!

Brian Dean clearly explains the two-cork trick, with photos, at:

http://magic.about.com/library/tricks/bltrick77a.htm

It is an easy and fun little throwaway and does make a nice follow-up to Jiggernaught.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Thanks for the post Harry. Now, to find corks somewhere...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You can get “used” corks from a restaurant that has a bar. Or you can go to a wine making supply house and buy some new corks.

Check out:

http://www.eckraus.com/searchprods.asp?s......number=2

They have an assortment of corks.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
The Jiggernaut idea sounds good.
Its a a new one to me.

I don't think many people in the UK do it or know it.

Count Zapik Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I don't get it....

Quote:
corks being all that is left of his Genie
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Sometimes a djin is portrayed as trapped in a bottle... sealed in... possibly with a stopper or cork.

If the cork was not in properly then the djin would escape.

Arabic stories talk about djins being able to take on the personna of other people. Mothers would admonish their children to always fold their clothes neatly after wearing them. If not djin could occupy them in the night while the child was sleeping and cause mischief in his or her visage.

cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I perform this effect occasionally.

And I find it easier to grab the corks between the tips of the thumb and the second finger, instead of the tips of the thumb and the first finger.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Or you can use rolled bills, caps to pens or markers, lipstick cases if you're in the company of ladies.....the move is fun.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Isn't this similar to the effect taught in Mark Wilson's course? I think he used batteries or something there.

I am sure I have seen another version of this where you actually start out holding the corks actually interlocked. Anyone seen that version? much like the matchsticks penetration in effect.

Simon
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
Although I don't know if I found this somewhere, or discovered it when I was trying to recreate it, but I always start holding the corks interlocked and hands down, with the primary hand palm facing left (thumb towards body) and the secondary hand palm facing up (thumb facing up).

The hands come up so the viewers can see the palm-side of the hands, the hands go back down, and then, as the hands come up again, the primary pointer finger slides down to the far end of the cork, while the primary thumb jumps over the secondary thumb to the cork's other end.

Now the hands are separated with an odd twist, that makes spectators sure that the corks were removed at that moment. They typically will play the corks, attempting to put together what I could have done in that last moment with the funny-looking move, without thinking that the work was done earlier.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have performed the basic version of this trick for years. A family friend taught it to me as a child. He presented it more as a table stunt than a magic trick.

I will often perform this at a dinner table if their are two corks available. I always tell people that the trick is much more amazing after 2 bottles of wine have been opened. Smile

In my close-up bag I have included some of the new synthetic corks being used now. These are fun because they come in different colors, which makes it very clear that the corks are changing hands. They are also more durable than most traditional corks.

This is the one trick which I will often teach to my audiences.

Note: High end wine producers are moving away from corks to other alternatives besides the synthetics. Screw caps ( the kind associated with cheap wines) are proving to be much better at protecting wines as they age. -One day the common prop for this trick may seem as odd as thimbles do now. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wine bottle corks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL