The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bicycle racing. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I noticed the bikes they raced on the olympics are really stocky compared to the English Racers or ten speeds I had in highschool. Are these the new racers and are they stockier because the lighter metals need it? Even the tires look stocky or are there still Enlish racers nd I just watched a different type of bike race?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
They look stockier but they are not really - instead of being circular tubes they are thin ovals. From the side they look stocky, but from the front they look paper-thin. They cut through the air and the aerodynamics make a big difference to the speed you can keep up. In very windy conditions they would use more conventional looking bikes. In the timetrials they will be using thinks that look very futuristic.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I never thought of that. During the race the bikes move too much me to note that. Thank you.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My son gave me a racing bicycle the other day and it looks not so light as a vintage racer as one part of the frame is wider but it is amazingly light. It will not be so light tomorow as I am getting rid of this racing saddle on it as it is killing me and I'm calling into Brooks to get me a B135.

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-a......ty/B135/

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have heard biking is good for those of us with bad knees and hips. I would have to get a heavier bike because we have rocks and sharp things even on what passes for trails.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't know about that Santa as it's hard work and I think swimming may my better.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I will have find a public pool. I didn't believe that bike think because you use your hips and knees.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I love biking. I have a hybrid road/mountain bike that works really well. Got it for $500 on clearance back when I had money. It has an extra large frame to suit my gigantic proportions.

If you're looking for relatively safe workouts you might want to check these out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DDP-Yoga-YRG-Wor......17b2da5e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DDP-Yoga-YRG-WOR......1883653b
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you. I walk the dogs but am so slow it doesn't do much for me.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
DDP and his chiropractor invented those workouts after he screwed up his back, shoulders, and knees from pro wrestling.
I do his standard 20 minute workout every day and I feel great right now.
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 15:24, tommy wrote:

I don't know about that Santa as it's hard work and I think swimming may my better.

Swimming might be better, but perhaps not as fun / relaxing? At least not when the weather outside is nice.

I did 70km on my old school 20-year old mountain bike today. Found a great pub around the 45km mark that serves beer from all around the world. I down a few, then cycle home from there. I stay off the streets, and stick to the bike paths. This way I avoid being hit by a car, and the worst that happens is I might run over a dog or small child on the bike paths on the way home. Just kidding. Smile I do not drink so much that I cannot cycle / steer safely.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have a friend who is a big-time (not professional) cyclist. He recently bought a multi-thousand-dollar composite bike that resembles those. I picked it up, and the whole thing seems to weigh less than the handlebars on my mountain bike...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Cycling is great for the knees. When I was diagnosed with arthritis in the knees I was told to buy a bike and cycle a lot to stabilise the knees.

Unlike most people I had not really cycled as a child. On day one of the new regime (I was nineteen by this stage) I went out hard, came around a corner, and smashed into a parked car. I dislocated one of the arthritic knees, knocked out four teeth, and got concussed. My father got me patched up, got the bike repaired, and that evening told me to go back out before I lost my confidence. So, head bandaged, teeth missing, and knee aching, I got back on the bike. I smashed into a moving car, going through the windscreen and ripping the tendons on my shoulder so badly they took two years to full heal.

After that I faced a choice; continue with the bike and control the arthritis, or forget the bike and let the weight pile on. I am 260lbs now, so you can guess which route I went!

Having said that, I still love cycling. A great sport.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You ate the bike?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I didn't own a car until I was 19 and I didn't own one that ran until I was 22. Had my Redline BMX that I rode everywhere.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bicycle racing. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL