The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dumb Olympics Rule (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The USA finished 2-3-4 in the overall standings for Olympic qualifying for the women's all-around gymnastics competition later this week, but due to a rule that one country can't send more than two representatives to the all-arounds, the top gymnast in the world, Jordyn Wieber, was left out because she finished in fourth.

I know a rule is a rule, but when one of the top four gymnasts at the Olympics doesn't get the chance to compete, something needs to be changed.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
If every nation competes under the same rules, it seems fair.

And how is someone honestly the top gymnast in the world when they finish 4th facing serious competition?

Hey, at least she wasn't sent home because of a tweet:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ter.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I gotta say rules is rules.

I would imagine it is to prevent larger economic powers from saturating the medal stands even more.

Also she must have known the rules prior to start. She agreed to compete under those rules. I don't think anything needs to change. It seems within the spirit of the games.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If they competed for the top two posirions foe the us team it seems fair. A bad day in sport doesn't call for a do over and what if the two we send get gold and silver? Good luck ladies!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't understand Montenegro, should be called Monteafricandescent.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm all for following the rules. I just think its an unfortunate rule. If the Chinese have the best five table tennis players they should have five in the finals.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I agree, the Dumb Olympics do rule!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is two per qualifying country right? I would fully agree if they said only five people can compete regardless of country because it would be like a five count olympics. Admit it, you are dating the girl who didn't makenit right?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5834 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It's the Olympics. The rules are globally minded. Sometimes a nobody exceeds the pack for one day and gets the gold. That IS the Olympics.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
To be the best you must beat the best. Someone who finished 29th or 30th in the world will get an opportunity to compete in the all around while someone who finished 4th will not.

As for the comment that, "it would only be a 5 country contest then," so what? This is the all-around. If you're not good enough to be in the Top 24 you shouldn't be included. This is the Olympics. Not a game at the local community center.

Absolute travesty of a rule.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 19:21, balducci wrote:

And how is someone honestly the top gymnast in the world when they finish 4th facing serious competition?

Is this a serious question?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I just reread the initial post and had not seen the qualifications, they are on now.

If for overall and say only ten girls can go it should be the top ten even if all from two or three. I thought you meant the team scores not overall. That gir being RTH should give here the right to go for that medal. I am sorry original poster.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The Olympics is, arguably, for the best athletes in the world. In the swimming heats, for example, the top eight (or whatever) times advance to the next heat, regardless of country. Why should gymnastics be any different.

Only tangentially related, but I LOVE watching Bela Karolyi's interviews following the events! He's like a wind-up toy!
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 08:37, ClintonMagus wrote:
The Olympics is, arguably, for the best athletes in the world. In the swimming heats, for example, the top eight (or whatever) times advance to the next heat, regardless of country. Why should gymnastics be any different.

That is exactly the point! I competed in gymnastics in high school and college. I've been watching gymnastics competitions since 1960. Controversial judging and decisions about rules, etc. have existed in all that time. The judges in gymnastics abuse their power on a regular basis.

Does it make any sense that some country whose gymnasts couldn't compete with our sixth grader's should be in the finals? This is a rediculous rule. Even with Jordyn Weiber's mistakes, she's still among the best 24 in the world.

I'm guessing that this rule will be re-evaluated.

Whew, had to get that off my chest.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My daughter was a gymnast for 6 years. We attended the Olympic trials in 2008, the first year of the new scoring rules. Suddenly, we had no idea how the judges were scoring! I didn't understand a lot of the scoring last night, especially on floor.

Where did you compete in college?
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
She's no longer the top, she's now the 4th best in the world.
Life of Magic!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Irish boxer Joe Ward is the highest ranked boxer not at the games. He is twice world youth champion, European silver medalist, and beat the Olympic silver medalist in the Irish championships. But due to a shoddy and corrupt panel of judges at the qualifiers in Turkey he has lost out in a certain medal, and a possible gold.

I think the solution is to stop competing for countries, and allow athletes to compete for themselves. Why is there even a team gymnastics event? Gymnastics is an individual sport. Why are there relays in track and field? They just put an unpleasant jingoistic nationalistic layer on top of an otherwise great event.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5834 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Wow, you guys have the Olympics completely confused with World Championships. The modern day Olympics is SPECIFICALLY about countries competing against each other..
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 12:14, Leland wrote:

That's not true either. Post Olympic rankings are based on the all-around final. So how will she receive a fourth place ranking?

Terrible rule.

If a country is unable to produce an ahlete to finish in the top 24, too bad. The best in the world should fave each other in the final.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 12:14, Leland wrote:

Not at all. Rather, the best doesn't always win.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dumb Olympics Rule (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL