The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2012 entrée: Doug Higley » » A serious question from Doug... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I am trying to gage if there would be serious interest IF I were to create a How-To type Manual on making the props and Zibits and all my secrets. OR trying a Tour with a hands on workshop (with a manual included). I'm told this would be a good thing.
I'm not all that convinced at to the level of interest. Thus the question and request for any suggestions you might have to offer. (besides 'Go jump in the river.')
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Doug,

I'm interested, but being on the other side of the country and having restrictions, a workshop would be difficult.
Have you considered a DVD lecture and course set?
Books are great, but seeing whow to do something and reading about it can be two totally different experiences.

Tony
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
IF there was a tour schedule...it would be coast to coast...at least that's what I'd consider...not just some local meet and greet...my goal would be to help as many as I could, not just a few in the neighborhood.

DVD? Not sure if that would be the best thing unless really well produced and could generate some income...and not wind up on ebay or YouTube...if you get my drift.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1356 Posts

Profile of handa
I would do my best to obtain and/or attend.

One suggestion may be a sort of sponsored lecture tour, hosted by the company who supplies the main raw material.

I know that the workshops hosted by Smooth-on are very well-received and appear to do nothing but either save or make money for the attendees, thus boosting company sales. Similarly, the company responsible for Great Stuff(tm)"Squirt Foam" Insulation sponsored workshops for the past two years at NHC, thanks to one of the convention owners having written articles about the use of this product in prop design.

Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Hmmm...funny thing, my materials supplier, aside from selling some guy a couple of cases of 'stuff' every once in awhile has no idea I exist or what I do with it. haha.
A VERY long time ago I made a vow to the magic and sideshow community that I would keep stuff secret and not make what I made for them available to the general public...thus the monker bestowed on me The Phantom Of The Midway (by Canadian MASTER Clown, Giovani Iolanni)...so no ebay sales or showing my creations to the materials supplier to help promote either. I lost a potential fortune in sales but hey, I kept my word.
Well these days it doesn't seem to matter much as the public can find this type of work on ebay (by a miriad of others who followed my footsteps) and you have a slew of phony 'experts' on reality shows exposing the gaffs right and left. The success of showing these things for money still comes down to HOW you show it to overcome the public perception.
So maybe a sponsor might not be a bad idea at this stage. hmmm
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1356 Posts

Profile of handa
Assuming that a workshop would mean that you would have to discuss materials used, anyway, so why not benefit from their deeper pockets?

There are a slew of scenic designers and makeup artists who tour courtesy of one of the brands. That pool of sponsored talent seems to have grown since the advent of the art and design "reality" competition shows.

Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Boy, if there's one thing I have no time for or care about AT ALL are those phony 'competition' shows. arrrrgh.
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
I just posted in another thread,but I certainly would be interested .
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I’ve played around with different materials, but it definitely seems more of an art than a science. A lecture or workshop would be better, but my traveling is somewhat limited. A book or DVD would be great.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
A definite yes on the how-to manual. Just a thought, but I'd be willing to put down a non-refundable deposit to show I'm serious.

I would absolutely be interested in a workshop as well, but it would depend on the cost and how far I may need to travel to attend.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Well, my vote is in for a DVD. Being in Oz, I'd miss out on any lectures. I own a TON of Doug's beautiful work and would love to attempt to make something myself.

Hmmm... Skype lessons perhaps? I'd pay the dough for a one on one...

Luke
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Either way, I'm in.
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
A book sounds like a great idea. One like Mike Close's work. PDF with embedded video.

Dave
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
920 Posts

Profile of necroloid
I too would love to have a how to manual! Wish I could make it south of the border for the workshop. If it ever passed by Toronto I would be there in a second!!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Necroloid and I will be waiting in Toronto, Doug. Smile

I'd travel to see you and I'd buy yer book (forget DVD, BOOK!) Count me in...
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
537 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I'd buy a book or DVD. I'd prefer some kind of manual, but why not both? If a workshop were in my area, I'd go to it for sure. You've got quite a few fans in the Seattle area, so I think it would be well-attended. A book would be harder for others to copy, too.

-Mark Paulson
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
537 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I'd buy a book or DVD. I'd prefer some kind of manual, but why not both? If a workshop were in my area, I'd go to it for sure. You've got quite a few fans in the Seattle area, so I think it would be well-attended. A book would be harder for others to copy, too.

-Mark Paulson
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
A book would be delightful.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Hey Doug

I too would love to attend a workshop should one happen Smile If not, then (like Tony mentioned above) a DVD would be super...of courxe, books are a favorite of mine, but for this sort of thing hands on and visual would be the best. Anyhow, no matter which way, count me in! And I could supply the coffee -- keeeping everyone awake!

Talk to you later,

David
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Step by step is easier to follow in a book but a DVD provides finesse. How many times have we mastered a paper routine then later watched the originator and didn't recognize the same trick?

I'd love to see something along these lines: A step by step guide that an Idiot (like me) can follow including materials lists, suppliers, basic inventory of techniques and exercises to master them. Then, a DVD of you mentoring said Idiot as he works through the steps in the book, offering tips, demonstrating some base techniques, handling advice, finesse, answering the questions that are bound to come up, etc. Maybe work through three of four basic zibits that provide foundation techniques for the other ones in the book.

One of the things that impressed me most about the Trillby Connection DVDs was where the student went out and tried things and was allowed to9 make the common mistakes, which Anthony then discussed with her and corrected. I think you could provide the same kind of benefit.

Finally, after you have sold 100 sets, you hold your own reality competition at your home where a dozen of us hang out and make stuff and play with your toys and drink your liquor when we're eliminated.You could name the winner your successor, sign him to a contract where you make a percentage of his profits and use the funds to, well, buy more liquor. It's a win-win!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2012 entrée: Doug Higley » » A serious question from Doug... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL