The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Outdoor Birthday Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I've started to up-charge an extra $25 for outdoor shows. I just hate them. I get all sweaty for any following show. Ants crawl onto my stuff. Wind blows stuff around. Kids get distracted more easily. I could go on and on.... I know a couple of guys who just don't do outdoor birthday shows any more.

Do you still do outdoor shows? Do you charge extra for them? How do you discourage parents from requesting them? How do you adjust your show for being outdoors?
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I do them, but have decided just a few months ago to always get a deposit from them. I don't usually take deposits, but after several cancelled shows, all where I was to perfom outside got cancelled due to bad weather - I decided enough was enough and now the client must pay a deposit or they can't have me.

Steve
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I started charging double for outdoor shows... but I hate them so much, I finally stopped doing them altogether. I'm much happier now. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Michael
We get paid lots of money to make people laugh for a short period of time, and if you don't like sweating on the job try an air conditioned day job, but remember after the first 40 hours week for chump change you will be happy to sweat like a pig for big bucks. The Summer time is when I clean up, and I do as many big bucks out door jobs as possible. Are you more interested in being comfortable or making money?????
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I do a few outdoor birthday parties -- but not many. The quality of the show does suffer at times due to the heat, wind, distraction, etc. I let the parent know up front that I prefer to do the show inside if at all possible. Then I explain why. Parents want the best for their kids, and will most times listen to my reasons and offer a space inside. It tell them that "even if the rest of the party is outside, you'll get the best show for your child's birthday if we can bring the kids in just for the magic show. It makes that part even more special -- like coming to a theater. Then once the show is over, out they go." Assure them it will be painless and better.

Still, there are some that just don't want the show inside for various reasons. So, I do a few outside. But at least the parents are aware of the potential problems.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I have recently decided to increase the rate for birthdays that are outside. Fairs and festivals are a totally different ball game as the starting rate is already much higher and are usually outside.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I do them, but I don't like them at all. I'm not yet to the point where I can turn them down, or even charge more.
Maybe one day.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 12:33, ku7uk3 wrote:
I do them, but have decided just a few months ago to always get a deposit from them. I don't usually take deposits, but after several cancelled shows, all where I was to perfom outside got cancelled due to bad weather - I decided enough was enough and now the client must pay a deposit or they can't have me.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I collect a deposit on all shows except schools and retirement communities. Your post makes me want to revisit my Performance Agreement and add a clause in there about keeping the deposit when they cancel due to weather issues. I'll have to think that through.
Quote:

On 2012-07-30 13:04, Al Angello wrote:
Michael
We get paid lots of money to make people laugh for a short period of time, and if you don't like sweating on the job try an air conditioned day job, but remember after the first 40 hours week for chump change you will be happy to sweat like a pig for big bucks. The Summer time is when I clean up, and I do as many big bucks out door jobs as possible. Are you more interested in being comfortable or making money?????

Al, I'm sue glad that I have thick skin...lol. I run regularly and have no issue with sweating. My issue with outdoor birthday parties is that when I have a 1pm outdoor birthday party, then some of my gear picks up grass and bugs. When I get to my 4pm show then I'm tracking debris & possibly insects into someones nice home from the outdoor show at 1pm. Plus, I try to be very careful to not walk into my next gig smelling like I've just been outside for hours sweating in the sun. It's really more about trying to be as professional as I can be. Yes, I do take an extra shirt also. It's less about my comfort and more about the comfort of my audience and customers.

Quote:
On 2012-07-30 13:24, Scott O. wrote:
"...even if the rest of the party is outside, you'll get the best show for your child's birthday if we can bring the kids in just for the magic show. It makes that part even more special -- like coming to a theater. Then once the show is over, out they go."

Scott, I love this line. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
On 2012-07-30 13:43, Ryan Price wrote:
...Fairs and festivals are a totally different ball game as the starting rate is already much higher and are usually outside.

I'm in agreement with you on this Ryan. I have no issue with performing for outdoor corporate/festival events...just did a 4 hour picnic last Sat. When doing those, I'm not leaving there and heading to another gig. Oh...yeah, and the money is certainly much nicer.

Thanks so much for the comments guys. I love learning from all of you.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I am 100 timesa hungrier than I am fussy.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Of course Al's show is also different then the majority of us as far as I can tell. Isn't your show more of a busker style? If so it is built to be performed outside where as most magicians build the show to be performed indoors.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 13:24, Scott O. wrote: I tell them that "even if the rest of the party is outside, you'll get the best show for your child's birthday if we can bring the kids in just for the magic show. It makes that part even more special -- like coming to a theater.
That is fantastic - the theater part. Really innovative. Mind if I steal it, or use some variation of it? Really, really good stuff!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I really try to influence the client to have the show indoors. I mention "bees, neighbor's mowing lawns, airplanes, the wind, and sunstroke" to put the image of their mind of all the issues associated with the outdoors, that can be prevented simply by having the party inside.

If they insist on having the show outside, I don't use my backdrop and I dress much more casually. I don't raise the rate, but I do end up providing less value. I make that clear to the client that they will get more for their money, and a better performance with an indoor show.

Perhaps I should just turn down outdoor parties. I've performed at more than one that the bugs were relentless.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Outside, inside, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. I design my shows to play anywhere. I just spent the weekend at my annual mediaeval faire where all the shows are done out of doors. Tomorrow I'm doing a library program that will be outside as well.
Outdoor shows just require a different mindset and must be designed to play where there will be wind, uneven ground, no electricity and various sorts of distractions.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I also charge the same amount for both inside and and outside shows.
Since Al Juggles for part of his show I would imagine that he works up a bit more of a sweat than most of us !
Bob.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A few years ago I was more for the outside door shows. I had me a full sized van. I would open the side doors and set my backdrop by attaching the crossbar to the side door. It was all easy to set up because it felt like I had a compact and portable magic show. I also had three car batteries hooked up on the van. I had a electric outlet (forgot what it is really called) hooked up to it to so I can plug in my AC PA system. I always tried to convince my customers to have the magic show outside in front of the house. I no longer have the van. I hate the weather now. I am using less props. Now I like going inside more, especially because of keeping my pets out of the heat.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I despise hot weather, and I hate being in full sun(part vampire), but I do shows outdoors anyway. I consider it part of the job, and I'd miss out on half my work if I didn't. I don't have too many problems performing outdoors, and if it's hot I scale back the outfit. But I do like the idea of talking birthday moms indoors if done tactfully.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I HATE outdoor shows with a passion, for all of the reasons mentioned previously...and just a few weeks ago, I got one new reason to hate em...

Halfway thru an outdoor bday show, I turn around and see the family dog lifting his leg and peeing directly onto my Lefler suitcase table. It sat in the 90° direct sun for the next 25 min or so until the show was over the mother came out and half-heartedly sprayed the table with some cleaner and then went back to tend to her guests. Ugh...

That said, I DO take many outdoor shows each year because I enjoy earning and feeding my family - but I do everything in my power to convince the client why an indoor show is best.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Exactly what payne said. I just choose not to do them. I know several other guys who would do much better outside than me and send the jobs to them. For me the outside birthday party suffers. To many elements to deal with.

Ken
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Are any of you guys in the Bay Area? The outdoor weather seems great for magic during the summer half of the year.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I do outside or inside. I don't charge more for inside but maybe I should? Nothing wrong with finding a "reason" to charge more.

However, talk about sweating. I've been in some really hot living rooms!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Outdoor Birthday Shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL