The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » A card and a number by karl Fulves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I just purchased self working card magic by Karl Fulves and I came across this effect. It is really puzzling how it works.This is really ingenious way with a card and a number. Has anyone performed this effect?
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
154 Posts

Profile of tltq
There is a much easier way to count the cards than the way described

Subtract 32 from 52 and count that number of cards off the deck

thumb the cards from hand to the other, taking them one under the other
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 19:30, mtstic44 wrote:
I just purchased self working card magic by Karl Fulves and I came across this effect. It is really puzzling how it works.This is really ingenious way with a card and a number. Has anyone performed this effect?

I have performed it few times and reactions so far have been very good.
I agree that the method is ingenious. I like my tricks to be as clean and logical as possible. When analysing this effect I saw 3 potentionally weaker points:
1) need for spectator to remove the number of cards at the beginning
2) having to put the deck behind your back
3) you'll often be asked at the end to name the original number that they thought of which you can't

I have come up with a presentation that I think addresses these weaker points very well and makes for (I think) a logical and entertaining presentation. Here it is, with as much detail as I could think of.
First I ask the spectator to think of a number from 1 to 10. I tell him not to tell anyone what that number is but to remove that number of cards as a proof that this is his number and to hide them in a cardbox. (this covers the 1st weaker point - you have found the logical reason why he has to remove those cards)
Then I say: "Well, since there is a 10% chance that I get your number right, I want to make things much harder for myself. I'd like you to also remember a card that falls at your thought of number". I then demonstrate with an example and ask him to shuffle the cards once again before he remembers a card, to make sure nobody knows the order of the cards.
After he's done I say: "OK, now that you are thinking of both a number and a card, chances of me getting them both right are very close to zero. Please concentrate on the number and the card". I then ask the 2nd spectator to name a number from 25 to 40 and when he does (let's say he says 35), I take a short pause and say: "OK, so even though nobody here knows your number and your card, I am now going to try something really difficult. I will attempt to find your card without even looking at the cards (you mimic putting hands behind your back while saying this) and I will then transfer that card from it's original position to 35th position from the top. Not only that, I will try to do it in less then 10 seconds. I know it sounds impossible, and I don't guarantee it's going to work but please concentrate as hard as you can on your number and on your card. As soon as I take the deck in my hands and behind my deck I want you to count to 10" I then look at him with the troubled look on my face, mumbling that I am unsure, asking him to concentrate even harder. After this short acting you take the deck behind your back and do the work, while they are counting up to 10. If 10 is fast for you, you can use 15 seconds in your presentation or whatever, it's still strong, I prefer 10 because it really sounds impossible to do it that fast and the "work" can easily be done in 10 secs or less. (as noted by tltq simply subtracting and thumb counting is the best way to go)
When you're done you put the deck on the table saying that you are not going to touch it anymore. You then take the box with the hidden cards inside and say: "OK, let's see for the first time what was your original number, please do not name your card yet." You take the cards out of box and count them for everyone to see. This covers 3rd weak point. Now you ask the 2nd spectator who named number 35 to count the cards one by one face down. When he has counted 35th card you ask the 1st spectator: "And now, for the very first time: what was the name of your thought of card?" When he names it, you ask the 2nd spectator to slowly turn it face-up. Success.
Martin Joyal
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Martin Joyal
Picard,

This is excellent! Three weak points transformed into three enhancements. Plus a patter that makes it very interesting, without the "catch me if you can" tone.

Martin
http:/www.joyalstack.com/
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Regarding the original effect:

Since you know that there are 52 cards in the deck, if you simply count the cards you have, then you know how many were originally removed. (Picard's weakness #3.) If you know that number, x, then you can find the card at position x by counting. Then you can put it at position y, where y is the number called out to you. I'm not sure what's so puzzling about the effect. It seems so obvious. Is it because you can do it quickly because of Fulves method?
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 21:35, WalterPlinge wrote:
Regarding the original effect:

Since you know that there are 52 cards in the deck, if you simply count the cards you have, then you know how many were originally removed. (Picard's weakness #3.) If you know that number, x, then you can find the card at position x by counting. Then you can put it at position y, where y is the number called out to you. I'm not sure what's so puzzling about the effect. It seems so obvious. Is it because you can do it quickly because of Fulves method?

Yes, you could do that, but certainly not in less than 10 seconds! One of the reasons for my "10 seconds" patter is to exclude that possibility too. But so far, people didn't even think of that possibility because I have a logical reason for removing the cards in the beginning: since the number is only in spectator's mind and nobody else knows it, we have to have a physical proof that he thought of that particular number. You could even say that some people like to trick you by changing their mind or telling you the wrong number so that's why you need to have a proof that this is his number.
But as I said, even if they think of that solution it should be quite obvious that it's impossible to do it so fast with that method.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Thanks everyone for your replies ill try it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » A card and a number by karl Fulves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL