The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Automatic Lie Speller effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tanay
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Tanay
Hey guys,

I have heard great things about Automatic Lie Speller by Nick Trost. I am thinking of getting his book, The Card Magic of Nick Trost, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Could anyone describe this effect?

Also, does it reset back into Si Stebbins order at the end?

Thanks a lot! Smile
Tanay
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Nice effect. You ask the spec, "is your card red or black?" you spell their answer into pile #1. "What suit?" spell that into pile #2. "What value?" you can spell either the word or number into pile #3. The top card of each pile reveals the correct color, suit and value of the chosen card.

Yes, it resets.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
You need to get this book if you have an interest in good card magic. It's great, and this effect is one "worth the price of the book".

Although Steven is too modest to say so, follow the link in his signature to see his video review of this exact book. He also demos a number of tremendous effects from here. Check it out at magicbookreport.com.

I will also point out that this book has an entire section in the back dedicated to teaching you "essential" sleights for performing the effects in the book. One of the most useful things is a way to set up Si Stebbins very efficiently.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Tanay
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Tanay
Thanks a lot Smile Yes I had watched Steven's review, it was great, just that I wanted to know more about this effect in particular.

On the last pile, is it their chosen card or just the value of their card?
Tanay
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Just the value. Their selected card is set aside from the beginning.

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Trost's Automatic Lie Speller is a superb effect. Although an extensive set up is required, it is justified as this is one of the best (if not the best) table top lie detector routines.

The Card Magic of Nick Trost is a wonderful book full of genius level card magic. From my experience it seems as if a lot of magicians are unaware of his vast contribution to magic as I have used several Trost routines to fool them badly over several years.

You should buy the book without hesitation Smile
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I know I've posted this before (in Secret Sessions thread, I think), but Ed Marlo thought this was the best lie detector plot he'd ever seen! I don't know your proficiency in card magic, Tanay, but this book is a great source of easy-to-do, but highly entertaining card magic. You can always post in the Books for Sale section if you want to score a great deal on a used copy. Regardless, great book and a resource I use constantly.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I agree with wholeheartedly with Jeff. It's a great book. It's also available as an eBook from L&L Publishing: http://www.llepub.com I've already got a hard copy but I bought an ebook version too.

B2B Magazine Test!

paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
How does it compare with Paul Cummins' Prevarication Detection?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I've not had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Cummins' routine, paperinick, but I will say that Trost's version is not FASDIU. I really couldn't say more here, but that's an obvious difference to me even without seeing Prevarication Detection. There are tons of lie detector effects out there (Check out Denis Behr's excellent resource here), and each one has trade-offs. This one is excellent. Maybe someone else will be able to better answer your question, paperinick.
IanL
View Profile
New user
Washington State
83 Posts

Profile of IanL
Steven,

Any chance of reviewing some of Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic books on your site?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Sure! I've recently moved and have a backlog of reviews to finish but we can certainly add that to the list.

B2B Magazine Test!

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-31 20:49, Steven Keyl wrote:
Nice effect. You ask the spec, "is your card red or black?" you spell their answer into pile #1. "What suit?" spell that into pile #2. "What value?" you can spell either the word or number into pile #3. The top card of each pile reveals the correct color, suit and value of the chosen card.

Yes, it resets.

Just to add an important plot point--the spectator can lie about the color, suit, or value at any point and it still works!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quite an oversight on my part! Landmark is absolutely correct. In fact when I do the reveal one card at a time I indicate whether the spec lied or told the truth for each question.

B2B Magazine Test!

foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Roy Walton has a very nice version of this effect called The Inconsistant Liar in The Devil's Playthings, or obviously The Complete Walton Volume 1. Impromptu.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Tanay, thanks for bringing this effect to our attention.

I absolutely love this effect. It really knocks the spectators (both magicians members and lay audience members) for a loop.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2012-07-31 15:58, Tanay wrote:
Hey guys,

I have heard great things about Automatic Lie Speller by Nick Trost. I am thinking of getting his book, The Card Magic of Nick Trost, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Could anyone describe this effect?

Also, does it reset back into Si Stebbins order at the end?

Thanks a lot! Smile

While this is an awesome trick, it would serve you well to learn an anytime, anywhere, any deck routine cause the odds are someone, somewhere, will ask you to do this and you just might not be prepared.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On 2012-10-05 22:05, Steven Conner wrote:

While this is an awesome trick, it would serve you well to learn an anytime, anywhere, any deck routine cause the odds are someone, somewhere, will ask you to do this and you just might not be prepared.

Very true and very good advice. However, if the OP ends up getting The Card Magic of Nick Trost, he'll end up with lots of good impromptu magic in addition to the "less than impromptu" items such as the one he posted about in the "less than impromptu" forum.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Try to locate "Spel(l)igant" somewhere in APOCALYPSE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Automatic Lie Speller effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL