The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Thrift shop finds? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Migwel
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Migwel
Years ago I got two pair of old 1800's handcuffs at a flea market for $15. Still have them of course.

Have found some older magic books from time to time, but generally common, or kids stuff.
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
133 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I just picked up "Magic: An Insider's View" for .25$ at the thrift store. Not sure what it is yet, it has a very young Harry Anderson on the cover and it is a CD-ROM. Hopefully I have a PC that will run it Smile
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
It's not bad. Think I found it at walmart a few years ago for $5. Can't go wrong for a quarter, though.

Steve
jclightman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of jclightman
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2014, Schaff wrote:
Hopefully I have a PC that will run it Smile

That may prove to be the real magic!
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
Hardcover (still wrapped in plastic) Swami Mantra. $15.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5223 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Score!!!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9490 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I'm hungry. Where are we meeting for the pancakes again?

And see if the other brother, who is a chicken, will bring some eggs too.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Jay, you forget your meds again, bro??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
343 Posts

Profile of MJE
I never even thought about going into places like that! I guess I need to locate some. Should I assume that those of you who have found these treasures have been willing to spend hours searching through mountains of stuff? That's the one thing that may prevent my search. Or are things somewhat organized in these shops?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5223 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good point MJE. My experience with these shops has not been as fruitful, and I suspect as time goes on and folks become more internet-savvy, the collectibles on every spectrum will become more difficult to "accidentally" find. If one looks hard enough, long enough, one will probably discover. And kudos to those who invest the effort. Their patience and diligence may pay off.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Jay Marshall "introduced" me to thrift shops! (Years ago!)

My main interest is old books. I especially like fiction with magic in the plot. Over the years, I've found some "gems"!

As noted above, I've occasionally found magic props. Usually, they are in the kids' TOY area. Jim Jayes discovered a "Welsh Rarebit Pan" in the kitchen utensils!

SOME thrift shops are just "junk" stores. Others. usually, those operated by church women's groups (Salvation Army, Deseret--Mormon, St. Vincent de Paul--Catholic, are neat, clean, and well organized.

As WIZ just noted, "patience and diligence"!

Karrell Fox was using a neat, sturdy little tripod base for his club act. It fit in his 15" x 6" x 6" prop case, along with the props. As a fellow member of the "SECRET SIX", I asked him where he got it.

He said, "In an office supply store. I paid $75. for it. It's a "base" for a court stenographer's "stenotype" machine."

A few months later, in a Fresno, California thrift shop, I found Karrell's table base's "twin brother"! It was on a table piled with miscellaneous "stuff". A sign was posted: "Anything on this table: $2.00". I grabbed it. It was NEW! There was even a zippered pouch to carry it in.

When I checked out, the little old lady asked: "What table was this on?" I pointed. She said: "Everything on that table is 1/2 off today!"

Karrell was known for being "thrifty"! When I showed mine to him, he nearly fainted!

The 'joy' is in the hunting!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thrift shops are best for finding unusual things that can be used for magic, rather than finding actual vintage magic. While the latter can happen, it is pretty rare. It helps if you have a knack for simple crafting DIY skills, because then you can take one thing and convert it into something more usable for your show. I once picked up a briefcase and a bowling ball, both for five bucks. Guess what they became? Glass or brass bud vases make some of the nicest prayer vase and rope that you've ever seen. Need a decent bowl for that Benson Bowl routine? Check a thrift store. I keep my eyes peeled for glasses, trays, frames, boxes, silk scarves, etc. I have also found several magic related books and videos. Look at the seasonal/holidat stuff for things that can be used to theme a show for very little money.

Besides thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales can be another interesting source for magic goodies. If you have a tight schedule, you have to know how to scan through the stuff quickly, with a good eye for stuff that can be converted to magic. In this sense, it helps to have a pretty wide knowledge base, so you can spot things and know pretty quickly what you can do with it. If you look at everything in detail, you can spend a lot of time, although some people find that relaxing. That's your choice.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YES!

In previous posts regarding thrift shop "finds", I've mentioned an Abbott "Tubes of Buddha". a Morrisey double load Dove Pan, and a Grant Phantom Tube. These all came from the same St. Vincent de Paul store (found in the TOY "department") at $1.00 each! My suspicion is that they all came from the mother of a grown up kid, who had lost interest in magic). (None showed any "wear" or "use".) My pal Jim Jayes also found a complete "Welsh Rarebit Pan" in a thrift shop in Sacramento (in the "housewares" department. I found a new TARBELL Vol. I (with dust jacket) at a "friends of the library" used book sale. I think it was $2.00!

I agree completely with your point of "seeing the potential" in non-magic prop "stuff". (I'm sure that you are familiar with the late Gen Grant's "adaptation", or "conversion" of items he found in the "dime store" --(now called "dollar stores").

"Indian" (not "American Indian") brass items like bud vases are excellent examples. I've found two fine "bottles" for the "prayer" vase. (Tom Ladshaw has a great comedy routine for the vase. It's in his book. He calls the genii in the vase, "MO".

I have a "suitcase full" of polyester "silks" found in thrifts, that are great for the "Slydini Knots". A pair would last for a season. (350 + shows). The average cost: $.50 each!

When I put the Mutilated Parasol into the show, about 25 years ago, the prop was too big for my prop case (13" x 20" x 8"). At a yard sale, I found a nylon "tube" that was designed to carry a "six pack" of beer or pop cans. It had a full length zipper along the side. The Parasol fits perfectly! (cost: fifty cents!!!).

I "cannot count" how many prop cases ("catalog" cases, salesmen's "sample" cases, ETC.) that have carried my props over the years. (Cases that would have cost DOLLARS in a luggage shop, I picked up at thrifts, and yard sales for a few bucks.)

"...it helps to have a pretty wide knowledge base, so you can spot things and know pretty quickly what you can do with it."
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
My Mom brought me a very pretty music box she bought for a few dollars at a yard sale. It didn't play but she thought I might like to make a magic trick out of it. I was curious to see if I could get it working and after only a few drops of oil and rewinding it started to play. Found a makers mark in the bottom and found to my suprise the box was quite rare. Decided not to make a magic prop out of it and sold it on ebay for over $700. Spent the money on magic. Best find ever.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Awesome, Gimpy!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
GIMPY!!!

YOUSE DONE GOOD!!!!!
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Old thread, but was reading through it... thrift shopping is a lot of fun Smile

Found an old chop cup yesterday sitting with the dish-ware near the metal tumblers and coffee cups. It is now on my shelf displayed with the collection of other cups I own Smile Usually, especially lately, I keep seeing Chris A***l magic kits... piles of them, makes me think there were a LOT of disappointed kids last christmas.. I have yet to find decent books in thrift stores about magic Smile

On a plus though, I find TONS of old electronics test gear, having so many large oil companies around means a lot of tools filter down into the thrift shops. Most of the time I am scoping out objects and electronics and thinking to myself "what part can I scavenge off that?"
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I have found many treasures over the years at junk shops, antique shops and thrift stores - BUT I have to share something that I just picked up while I was in Ohio just two days ago!

At a Goodwill, hanging on the wall behind the cash register was a poster of Penn and Teller indorsing Goodwill! Unfortunately, it was considered a fixture as it has been hanging their since 2001 and NOT for sale. Smile

To my luck, the manager was on duty and after a bit of negotiating, she sold it to me - frame and all for a considerable amount that she had set (A grand total of $10.00 plus tax). Needless to say, the screwdriver came out to unbolt it from the wall. Smile

I understand that it is NOT a Thurston or Dante - but it is a nice addition to the collection of two mainstream magicians endorsing something other than themselves or magic (much like the David Copperfield poster of "Got Milk") Nothing that I can retire on BUT a nice (and unusual) addition to the overall collection - not to mention the memories that my two boys will have of their dad buying this off of the wall - LOL Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5223 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Signor Blitz, excellent job at seizing the day and negotiating a amicable price. I would have done the exact same thing. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Thanks Oz - it was one of those things that I knew would eventually end up in the trash. Sure it may not have great collectors value but it is a nice example from their overall career.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Thrift shop finds? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL