The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Favorite Olympian - Felix Carvajal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Found this story and thought you might like it as much as I did:

Quote:
If an Olympic medal were ever to be awarded for that species of good-natured persistence called pluck, Felix Carvajal would be a certain candidate for the gold.

A postman in Havana , Cuba, and an amateur runner, the five-foot-one-inch (1.55 m)-tall Carvajal read in a newspaper that the 1904 Olympic Games would be held at St. Louis, Missouri. Nearly penniless, and with no Olympic Committee to sponsor him, Carvajal decided to pay his own way to the Games. At the close of the day, he would make his way to Havana’s central plaza and run in circles until he drew a crowd, whereupon he would declare his intention to travel to the United States and claim a prize for the greater glory of newly independent Cuba. His appreciative audience donated enough money to secure Carvajal a bunk on a tramp steamer bound for New Orleans, and off he went.

His money did not last long. The boat passage was expensive, and what little money Carvajal had left to him he lost playing dice in New Orleans. Undaunted, Carvajal walked, ran, and hitchhiked up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, where he appeared at the opening marathon, on a fiercely hot summer day, wearing woolen trousers, a linen shirt, street shoes, and a felt beret.

The race was delayed while a friendly American discus thrower cut off Carvajal’s trousers to fashion a pair of running shorts. Then the runners were on their way, with Americans Thomas Hicks and Arthur Newton leading a field that included contestants from France, Germany, Greece, and South Africa. Carvajal kept pace easily, seemingly unconcerned over the prospects of victory, even stopping from time to time to chat with bystanders and, once, to help himself to some green apples from a beckoning orchard. The apples caused him wrenching stomach cramps, and he fell by the wayside, losing long minutes while attending to his gastric discomfort.

Despite his unforeseen delay, Carvajal managed to finish fourth in the race, coming in at a time just shy of four hours. Hailed by the international press for his determination and amiable manner, he returned to Cuba a hero and resumed his mail route. He never appeared in international competition again.

http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2008/08/......is-1904/
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He is my hero too.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Favorite Olympian - Felix Carvajal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL