The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Filming table hopping session (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Next month I would like to do a promo video for close up magic.

I have 3 concerns and will be glad to here your thoughts!

1. I have never approach a table with a camera man, I feel that clients might feel awkward about it and won´t act naturally.
any tips on how approaching a group of people with a camera without freaking them out and make sure that they will be responsive?

2. I don't know what would be better, just go to several bars, ask permission for the shooting, or do it at the regular places I perform.
I personally like the second option better because I know the place and the owner, but going to several bars gives me access to more tables and I can choose places that have table outside so I will get better filming conditions.
what would you suggest?

3. what´s important to explain to the video photographer for getting the best result out of the filming (assuming he is not used to film magician : ).

I appriciate your advise.

Thanks
Dima
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Every time I have shot a video, I have gone to my usual places on an off night and used family and friends. If you are able to get others involved fine, but make sure you get them to sign a release. If you are using a professional videographer, he should be familiar with this.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
NOT and easy task, but here's what "I" did...

Answer to #1...

Don't approach with a cameraman. That's going to put them off right away. Do your approach and after they have accepted you, then let them know that your performances are being filmed and would they mind if a cameraman video taped your set. If they say ok, then you're off! If not, then do your normal set and move on to another table in hopes they'll allow it.

Answer to #2

I only took a cameraman into my restaurants where I perform at weekly. The customers there know me and they felt very comfortable with having me there with a camera man right at the table or at least a few feet away.

Answer to #3

If was simple for me, b/c my videographer was Aaron Stone of Fearless Portraits. Aaron is also a Magician so he knows how to shoot to get the best angle to spotlight you and your magic. If you don't have that luxury, then ask your cameraman to come out and watch you work one evening so he can get an idea for how to film you in your surroundings.

Just be aware that it's possible that you won't get ANY usable footage on that evening...it might take multiple shoots to get it right. Here's my Sleight of Hand Demo. It's not too long and has some nice visuals of my skills, and it's gotten me quite a bit of work! It doesn't really reflect my current branding (The Man in the Yellow Suit) but still showcases me nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvtwlqqdjPY
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The problem with most of the video I have had shot in restaurants and bars is the background noise. So If I were to shoot a video - and if they had a closed off party room I would use that. I would also set up the audiences and the way I would do it (you might not like this) is buy them dinner if they appear in your video.

To be on the safe side I would also have them sign a paper that alows you to use the footage that they are in - for your promo.

I would do at least three shows in one night and the way I would do it - I would not do it on a working night I would set it up on an off night clearing it with management and the guests ahead of time.

Here is the video I use that was shot at the Magic Castle.

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennbishopcastle.wmv
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It will take a long time to get useable footage.

I will tell you this. Storyboard what you want the video to look like. Then go and make it so the camera gets those shots. I am not talking about how to approach.

But know what you are looking for and make sure you get it. Don't take random film and hope you hit it. It is cheaper in the long run.

Have your video guy watch you God a couple of Weeks to get an idea. Discuss angles and light and so forth. If you singing to do it, with tech the way it is today you may as well do it right. It doesn't have to be nearly as intrusive as it opposed to be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
Great Britain (Manchester)
45 Posts

Profile of killaklownkris
Hi guys what sort of cameras do you recomend for for filming?
Thanks
kris
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
This video was done by asking the tables first. I spent weeks in planning as I felt an outdoor event was ideal for lighting. I briefed the camera operator and fully and explained what shots I was looking for and I mainly wanted to focus attention on reactions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xndc48OsVRU
If I could give any advice, it is to use a microphone as sound lets many show reels down. Plan the shoot well beforehand and use a professional to operate the video camera.
Kris, this was shot on a Sony PDX10
Ken
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Thanks guys, really good thoughts you are sharing with me,
I will d as you have suggested!

Ken your video is almost exactly what I would like mine to look like!

cheers!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I liked Ken's very much...I loved where the KID said he'd book you for a party...that gave me a chuckle! Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-01 09:55, killaklownkris wrote:
Hi guys what sort of cameras do you recomend for for filming?
Thanks
kris

Truth be told, just about any camera nowadays will work just fine. Take my pal Bizzaro for example. The camera's he uses are just simple video cameras. Nothing fancy at all. However, he can take footage and once he begins post production, THAT is where the real magic comes into play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GcrhsHj4S0
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You can get one that will make a blu ray for under 500 bucks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Besides shooting the video there must be editing software to edit the promo. Some computers have some kind of editing software on them. When I was doing DVD's I used Studio 8 to edit them. I also used the same software to edit this promo...

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennbishopchopcup.wmv
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Adobe Aftereffects and Adobe Premier are the two best (IMO) for all types of video editing. PROTools is the best of the best of audio work.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
As I was saying - some computers come with editing software. I got a new computer last season and it came with Microsoft Movie Maker... Using tools that are ready and may not be the "best" may save money in the long run. The "best" is often only an opinion anyway.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1166 Posts

Profile of imgic
Moviemaker that comes with windows is great for putting together quick clips suitable for sharing with friends. But if you want a top notch product that looks really professional, Chris is spot on with his recommendation of Adobe products ...plus make sure you've somebody with the experience and expertise to use it.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Bizzaro is an awesome post production editing super genius. He can be hire out to produce your already filmed demo. Just send him the files an he can do the rest.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
As I said above I used Studio 8 to edit all my 10 DVD's I did on artistic card and other magic. Plus I used it to make promo's for my web site and promo DVD's. I think it is the best!

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/hyp.wmv
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Editing is important, I will leave it to the professional!
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Glenn it looks like you have really amazing hypnosis show!!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 20:55, Dima Mystery Artist wrote:
Editing is important, I will leave it to the professional!

I think that is a good idea! I tried editing some of my video myself with disasterous results ha ha ha ha! Finally, I just decided to hire a professional to do it for me with much better results.

Really, my video is not the best quality, but it was better than what I had when I tried editing it myself and the version the professional came up with was much better than my version and his version is better than nothing or not having some kind of video.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Filming table hopping session (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL