The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Guastaferro DVD (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
All effects on Brainstorm are within the reach of the average-skilled magician. Some tricks are simple and others may require some work. The important part is all these are very strong effects that are doable in the real world.

As David Regal said, magicians of all skill levels will appreciate the material here. For comparison sake, I'd say these effects are a notch up from Ammar's "easy to master" series years ago.

Hope this helps.

John
http://www.johnGstudio.com
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
halcon
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of halcon
Just finished watching the brainstorm DVDs. these videos are great! the routining of the effects is very creative. the instruction part is very easy to follow and understand.

Lost and found... one hell of an effect when I saw the effect I was floored. after watching the explanation I was even more stunned at how clean it looked.

Double Monte... the kicker ending was amazing.

if you definitly want material that will amaze, do yourself a favor folks, order the videos you will not be dissapointed. My only gripe... these videos should have been out a long time ago.

halcon
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
For those of you who have seen John Guastaferro's material, are the tricks and presentations up to the standard of Bill Malone's dvd's
I've read ggod reviews so far, but theese days I like to be a little more cautious.

Thank you
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
926 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Picked these up on the weekend; not watched all of it yet but so far, everything on there is superb. No 'fillers' and everything is commercial, clean and without overcomplicated handling. I *really* recommend these DVD's.

My only problem is... I've been searching all over town today to find the 'bits' for the 'Frog' trick and the 'Lost and Found' trick but with no luck at all so far. This is a shame because for me those are two KILLER effects that I want to use. I guess I'll keep on searching!

John; great work!

Everyone else - get these - you'll NOT be disappointed. The only bad thing is that it's using the same 'tired old faces' in the audience! About time L&L had an audience overhaul!

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
halcon
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of halcon
Jbadman

for lost and found you can also use the inserts baseball card collectors use for their cards. they are a stiffer and you can buy them in large quantities so you can give them away after the effect with the card inside it is a real nice way to have the spectator preserve the memory.

halcon
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
926 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Halcon; thanks for the tip - I'll try those.

Cheers,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
theonejimmie
View Profile
New user
Phila., Pa.
54 Posts

Profile of theonejimmie
John;

Saw the ad for your Brainstorm on the back of MAGIC (Nov issue.)
No mention of your web site there, the café has become my acid test for acquiring new effects, and after seeing the post here, and being impressed by the fact that you are directly responding, I have just placed my order on your site.

As a card lover from way back I look forward to your material, thanks for taking the time to share with the café.

Jimmie
Smile
loowhochan
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
116 Posts

Profile of loowhochan
I just ordered the DVDs today from Elmwood without knowing much about them. I was excited about them after watching the demos. And after reading all these posts and great reviews, I am even more excited and can't wait to receive the DVDs. Smile
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1630 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hi John!

Glad the DVD's are doing well! I'm still can't believe that you gave up that lost and found routine that you showed me. That truly is one of the best routines I have ever seen. I'm sure I'll see you down at the castle soon!

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5778 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
OK, I've watched the performances three times and the explanations twice... and here is what strikes me. This is almost all, each and every routine, killer material!

What John gets from some sutleties and brilliant choreography of counts is some stunning magic which is well within the abilities of the average magician. You would swear this requires knuckle bustin' sleights... but it doesn't!!! Cards are transposing from here to there and everywhere, but there is virtually no "funny business" for an audience to see.

Each and every move is motivated, and therein sits the deceptiveness to John G's magic. The "moves" don't look like moves at all. Even the graceful Ballet Cut, which is a flourish control, seems completely harmless in the hands of the average magician. Cripes, what a thing of magnificent beauty. It's a control, it's a force, it's just plain unfair! And it couldn't look more fair!!!

Folks, these DVDs are the best bargain I've ever seen in card magic. Fry lay people, fry your friends, fry the local magic crowd, and fry the best of the best. Unless they have seen John G's work, it is gonna fry them. Even after watching the explanations, I still find myself getting nailed hard with these rountines.

There are reasons of visual impact and framing for why Lost and Found is singled out as kickin' bootay, but to single out any routine in this two DVD set, is to do a diservice to the stunning magic which is at every turn of the disk.

Killer, killer stuff!!!!

Cheers,

Tom
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Friday, and saturday I spent watching David Regal's "Premise, Power & Participation" dvd's. This man ROCKS sollid!
Today, sunday, I'm going to devote to John's "Brainstorm" dvd's.
So far I only have heard good words about them.
Will let you all know what I think when I have watched them.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
theonejimmie
View Profile
New user
Phila., Pa.
54 Posts

Profile of theonejimmie
Quote:

Even the graceful Ballet Cut, which is a flourish control, seems completely harmless in the hands of the average magician. Cripes, what a thing of magnificent beauty. It's a control, it's a force, it's just plain unfair! And it couldn't look more fair!!!

Could not have said it better my self! I received my DVD’s on Friday (Thanks John for the personal service). I am very pleased not only with the effects, but also the simple methods John has employed to pull them off. John’s instruction is clear and effective. I will be adding many of these effects to my collection as soon as possible. I also found no fluff in this series, not all are my style, but all are workers. Would recommend these DVD'S to any card worker. Smile
loowhochan
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
116 Posts

Profile of loowhochan
I just received the DVDs today, haven't watched everything yet, but so far I really like Fairy Tale Frogs and Jazz Fusion and Lost and Found. Smile

Just wondering, where can I to find the "frog cards" and the other prop for the Frog routine, and also the "cards" needed for Jazz Fusion?
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
The frog is just a toy. I'm sure if you look around you'll find something similar. The "frog cards" are just frog stickers on blank cards.
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
I have watched both volumes (performances only), and like these effects a lot.

There are a quite a few effects that use a gaffed/pre-setup deck, which does not fit my style at all, and which I will never do. Also there are a few too many elmsley count discrepancies for my liking.

Other than that, I would recommend these dvd's highly. John is a great performer, and has a natural raport with the audience.

7.5/10
Nick Alexander
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Nick Alexander
Please someone tell where can I get this on dvd it sounds great, great,great. yipee. no seriously I've seen a few of the performances on this dvd none of the explinations and not really being a card guy, I prefer the sponge balls, I thouraly enjoyed having my mind played with.

3 12 thumb tips out of 5
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
I love these DVD's! The effects are all stunners and the performances and explanations are top notch. Personal faves are Lost & Found, Palm reader, Intuition, Out Of The Blue, Bizarre Prequel and Gemini Prediction.....the Ballet Cut is fun too.

Thanks, John G, for releasing this material.

Adam
Smile
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I also loved the DVDs! Just got them yesterday and watched the performances. I'll dive into the explanations tomorrow. From everything I can see, John G is the real deal!
William Holcomb
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
After watching the performances, I hate to say it, but there seem to be a few tricks which use almost identical methods, but with a different presentation and effect. This is not to say that this is bad, but it kind of feels like Snowball Aces (just one example) has been tacked on to the end of these dvd's as filler material. This is not to say that this trick is not strong, or original, or that it doesn't warrant it's own space. Snowball Aces is almost identical in method to Tidal Wave Aces, and IMO could have been offered as a variation of Tidal Wave Aces, leaving room on the DVD for another, different effect.

I don't nkow if the preceding sentence is clear, which is not meant as an attack, but rather constructive criticism.

There's nothing that bothers me more than someone putting out a trick that uses 4 aces, and then putting out another trick with the exact same method, but this time it uses the four kings...

This is not to say that John has done this, but I would hate for his future releases to head down this track.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5778 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
What you fail to mention, Dr. K, is that the effect one has on their audience (the only effect which matters) is totally different in the two routines. The presentation is unique and the image of what happened is unique to each routine. Only people who are thinking about the method will notice any similarity.

By your thinking all routines which use palming and pulling a card from the pocket, wallet, under the toupe, shoe, etc are the same. They are not. Each is a unique vehicle through which a performer connects with his audience.

Cheers,

Tom

PS I don't really think it was intended for one to just perform every routine on these DVDs at one seating. To each his own.

I thought the use of the all backs routine was awesome and I am trying to incorporate it into another existing routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Guastaferro DVD (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL