The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Guastaferro DVD (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I think that it is perfectly normal/expected that an inventor/worker will develop many simillar effects/methods with different presentations I know I do.
Phillip
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
I've been performing "Jazz Fusion" from the DVD and getting some great reactions from the killer ending.

I'm getting a plastic wallet tomorrow to do "Lost and Found".

When you work on the effects, you realise the amount of thought that has gone into them, with all the nice subtleties and convincers built into the workings.

Smile
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
Quote:
On 2003-11-14 02:23, p.b.jones wrote:
Hi,
I think that it is perfectly normal/expected that an inventor/worker will develop many simillar effects/methods with different presentations I know I do.
Phillip

Yes, I agree with that, however, if this were a book (as opposed to a DVD), Snowball Aces would have been offered as a variation to Tidal Wave Aces.

Again, I think both effects are fantastic, but my first impression when watching snowball aces was that John had run out of material and needed some filler for the DVD's.

Just my impression, that's all.....
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Dr. K. I'm glad you have offered your impressions. I think this is a great discussion.

I guess I'll give my two cents worth too. Just for the record, I consider Snowball Aces one of the most magical effects in my repertoire—not filler at all. As far as it's comparison to Tidal Wave Aces, other than the initial Ace production, I consider the effect AND method to be VERY different. I would agree that Snowball Aces is in fact more closely related (in method) to the all-backs routine, Troubleshooter. However, I considered the effects different enough to warrant their inclusion as separate items. There were to many intricacies to combine the effects into one explanation.

Hopefully, everyone will enjoy the explanations, because I do offer some variations/ideas/presentations for other effects, such as in Synergy, Party Animal, etc.

As in music, two songs can have the same chords, yet sound like very different songs depending how they're played. It was my attempt to incude strong and varied material throughout, with as little filler as possible. We're all unique in our approaches, so there's bound to be different shades of opinion.
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
John,

thanks for clearing things up. Again, it wasn't my intention to in any way to attack you.

As I said earlier, I haven't watched the explanations yet, and it is clear that there is a lot of afterthoughts on each effect which I have not yet seen.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
For those of you having trouble finding the clear plastic card holders for the "Lost & Found" effect, I am now offering a 4-pack for 7 dollars. You can order it through my website at
http://www.johnGstudio.com

It comes with no instructions since I assume you already have the Brainstorm DVDs (which are also available on my site).

Thanks again for the emails, messages, etc. I'm thrilled with the enthusiastic responses.
John
John Guastaferro

iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1907 Posts

Profile of iamslow
These DVD's get my vote for Best Card Magic DVD's Of The Year.....Its been a loooooooong time since I have been impressed by a video or DVD... Smile Smile
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
John, I liked the card to wallet you were using. Which version is it? Thanks.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Thanks! I believe the wallet I use is the Keith Bennett Hip Wallet.

Some defining elements are the brass tips on the corners (not to be confused with Mark Mason's wallet) and the unique button clasp on the outside. This may help you identify the exact wallet I use.
I don't have a direct link, but I suppose you can just google it.
John Guastaferro

Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
I got the DVDs. They are fantastic. Snowball Aces and Gemini Prediction are just two of the killer routines I liked. Everything is very strong and extremely commercial. Nice job, John.
d107
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of d107
Really enjoying these dvds. Great impromptu card work and some excellent thinking.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
In my opinion "Gemini Prediction" is the best effect on the DVDs and one I'll add to my repertoire. It's direct, magical, different, and gives you an excuse for handing out your business cards. What else could you ask for?

Larry D.
loowhochan
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
116 Posts

Profile of loowhochan
I love the DVDs, I'm working on a couple effects in Vol 1 right now (Color Blind & Palm Reading0. And when I'm watching TV, my hands are busy practising the Ballet Cut. Smile I like it because there are effects for every level of magician, so I don't feel like it is too advanced for me. Yet the effects are pretty awesome!
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
Quote:
On 2003-11-19 16:57, JohnG wrote:
Thanks! I believe the wallet I use is the Keith Bennett Hip Wallet.

Some defining elements are the brass tips on the corners (not to be confused with Mark Mason's wallet) and the unique button clasp on the outside. This may help you identify the exact wallet I use.
I don't have a direct link, but I suppose you can just google it.

The wallet John uses is the Keith Bennet Hip Wallet. I just received it today. I also had purchases the Mark Mason Ultra Slim wallet to compare the two and Keith Bennet's wallet is far superior to Mark Mason's wallet.

Murphy's Magic supplies these wallets, so if you cannot readily find one, your favorite magic dealer should have no problem ordering it for you. It costs about $40.00.
mwolfire
View Profile
New user
Mark Wolfire
91 Posts

Profile of mwolfire
I know that a lot of people have already raved about these, but I like them so much, I wanted to add my rave as well. These are great. You will start doing material from here right away. If you order from John directly you get a signed DVD, zippy service, plus one plastic wallet for Lost & Found. Big deal you say, but then you don't have to waste a second trying to find the plastic wallet and you can start working on it at once. Believe me, you will want to. I am not even paid by L&L OR Murphy's! I just like these DVDs.
Mark
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
484 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I noticed that d107 said that the DVDs have some great impromptu card stuff. My question is, how much of it is suitable for strolling or walk around? No set-up, just walk up and do the effect.
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
I received my DVD set last weeck and I think is one of my best investment in magic, just one question, where can I learn the shuffle where the cards are mixed one and one, for the mind reading effect?
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
814 Posts

Profile of magico
The faro shuffle is what you are looking for. There was a small booklet on the Faro Shuffle by Ed Marlo, there is also a section in Card College.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I've finally received my Guastaferro DVDs from Magic Pro Shop!!!
I'm going to watch them ASAP. Hope there good!
porcupine
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of porcupine
I got these a while back, and thought they were crazy... impressive... but I have a question, In Detour, the card to wallet routine, do you think that it's anti-climatic [wrong term...?] for the card to appear in the wallet? from the tape, my initial reaction was that the audience would have been far more impressed if the card did end up in the card box instead of the wallet. The fact that you were comparing the two things, that the card box looked so clean, and the wallet less so, would you think that it's less impressive for the card to appear in the wallet instead of the box? because I thought you spent alot of time hyping the audience up for the card to be in the box and when they didn't find it there, they were perhaps dissappointed and felt misdirected, which is never a good thing. And later when the card is produced elsewhere, wouldn't it be less climactic because they felt this earlier misdirection?

but other than this, good job on the other routines, they were great, more than I'll ever create...

Cheers,
///AMG
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” - Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Guastaferro DVD (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL