The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Guastaferro DVD (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
First of all these are excellent DVDs. Solid material all in all. I can't add much to the above comments.

I do have one gripe which isn't even with the actual DVD's. The advert for these and the blurb on the back states that most of these effects can be done strolling with no table. Although I think there are a couple that fit the bill that is about it.

I got these DVDs based on this and was a little disappointed. It doesn't help that John G. performed almost all the routines with the help of a table.

Sincerely,

Randy
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Hello,

I just bought the DVD's at a local shop yesterday, and these DVD's are great.
All of the tricks in here seem like keepers, and there are so many good convincers and subtleties that John uses to fool the audience along the way.

Well Done.

TJ
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3821 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Santa brought me these and I have to disagree with Mike Close about these. I (like most) think these dvd's are great. After 20 years, I am usually not interested in watching magic, but John was fresh and enjoyable to watch and his magic is very creative. Sure there are versions of old plots but who cares. They are great versions. Nevertheless, I put them to the test. I made my girlfriend sit and watch the performance only sections of both dvd's. She absolutely loved them, but to my surprise, she like the tricks that I glanced over or dismissed.

This just proves the theory that lay people don't care if something is hard or easy or if it's a combination of several other routines. Magicians gravitate toward tricks that impress "us" while spectators gravitate towards tricks that are simply "entertaining" regardless of method. It was a good learning lesson for me.

I don't have the descriptions in front of me, but she loved snowball aces and palm reader the best. I liked pretty much everything. Well done.

Words of advice to John G: sell the frog trick separately and you will make plenty of money.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1078 Posts

Profile of taller8
I purchased Vol. one from the MagicProShop and I love it. The sleights are practical and effective. One of my favorite DVD's along with Malone, and Sankey.
Andy H
View Profile
Regular user
London
106 Posts

Profile of Andy H
Gemini Prediction is now one of the most powerful tricks I do. Thanks a lot for producing these high quality DVDs John, look forward to more material from you in the future. 10/10.
Paul Harris: My Astonishing Hero
leanabet
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of leanabet
20/10 My best buy! I waiting more........ Smile
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I've finally watched both of the Guastaferro dvds and I must say that volume 2 is better than volume 1.
Volume 1 was good, but there wasn't too many tricks in that dvd I would use regularly. Volume 2 on the other hand had quite a few tricks I really liked. For example; Intuition, Snowball Aces, Bizarre Prequel, and Gemini Prediction I will use all the time!
Overall, they were really good dvds. Good job John!
*Volume 1= 7.5/10
*Volume 2= 9/10 Smile
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
Just a quick reminder to fellow "John G" fans - John is going to be a special guest on the L&L Discussion Board starting tomorrow - January 5th. You can ask him questions get the inside scoop on his material.

As with every guest on the L&L Board, there is a contest and you can win a set of these DVDs. So if you've only heard of John's work but haven't bought the DVDs yet, here is your chance to get them. If you've seen a magic buddies copy of the DVDs - now you can get your own set.

I finally had a chance to speak with John on the phone earlier this week and he is a great guy, so come on over and ask some questions!
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
I've reviewed these DVDs a couple times now and have to add that there is more material on here that can be done walkaround than I originally thought.

Just takes a bit of thought.

Sincerely,

Rnady
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
How much of his material is impromptu?
A rough percentage will be fine

Thanks!
~joeKing
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
About half the tricks can be done with nothing more than a regular deck. Some of these require a small set-up (such as culling the Aces to the top), but can be done under some pretext while talking with the audience. Other effects require something extra, such as a stranger card, or more. I broke it down in detail for you.

VOLUME ONE
1. Ballet Cut – regular deck

2. Fairy Take Frogs – a few blank-faced cards and blank-backed cards, onto which you place stickers of frogs. I found mine at a craft store. You’ll also need a little toy frog (I found mine with the little rubber duckies and other bath toys).

3. Troubleshooter – regular deck and one extra card from any other deck

4. Lost & Found – clear plastic card holder (which I include free with DVD purchases made through my website)

5. Color Blind - regular deck

6. Palm Reader - regular deck

7. Club Sandwich - regular deck

8. Double Monte - regular deck

9. No Jokers Allowed - regular deck

10. Detour – regualar deck and one blank faced card onto which you pre-write a little message (you’ll see), and a card-loading wallet

11. Tidal Wave Aces – a regular deck and four aces from a different deck

VOLUME TWO
1. Party Animal – regular deck and one card from a Budweiser deck. You can find these almost anywhere, I got mine at a Target store. I suppose a liquor store may have them too.

2. Clairvoyance – regular deck

3 & 4. Intuition and Out of the Blue – four red-back aces and four blue-backed Queens

5. Snowball Aces – a blank-backed deck, four aces and one blank facer

6. Tailspin - regular deck

7. Synergy - regular deck

8. Bizarre Prequel - regular deck and one card from a different deck

9. Jazz Fusion - regular deck and four blank facers onto which you’ve simply drawn four question marks with a red sharpie

10. Gemini Prediction - blank-faced deck, four random cards and five business cards.

Also, if you haven't already, I encourage everyone to go to http://www.llpub.com this week (Jan.5 - 11) to visit me on the Discussion Board. I'm available all week to answer any questions you may have.

Hope to see you there.
John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Wow Smile ...Thanks, John!

I plan to pick these up from you VERY soon Smile
~joeKing
Tony Venetico
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
238 Posts

Profile of Tony Venetico
Anyone find the frog stickers and toy anywhere online?? Cant find cute ones at any stores near me
budionodarmawan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of budionodarmawan
John,

I really shock with the lost and found.The ballet cut really nice.I even start to learn it before the dvd arrived.Nice work John !!

Honestly
Budi
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
I just got this set and wow it's really quite good. Great effects, most with multiple kickers, all with strong routining. I'm gonna use some of this stuff. With so much garbage out there on DVD these days, this is truly a breath of fresh air.

Thanks John for tipping this stuff, it rocks!
Kevin
Rayf
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Rayf
For all the people who are searching for some nice frog stickers:
go to http://store.yahoo.com/doverpublications/0486295877.html
They sell a small booklet with 24 different looking frogs.
Perfectly fits on playing cards.
Of course you have to buy more than one booklet to get
identical looking frogs.

ciao
Raimund
elushinz
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Orlando
132 Posts

Profile of elushinz
Hey John! Just watched the first DVD and all I've got to say is Kick-A!!! It is smooth and simple, clean and effective. I do walkaround and can't wait to master the lost and found.

I am going to pop in the second one and practice a little ballet action while doing so. Fun stuff, keep it up!
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f@#d up."
Mitch Hedburg
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
So glad you're enjoying the DVDs. By the way, if you're having trouble finding just the right clear plastic sleeves for Lost & Found, I have them available on my website. Have fun performing the effects!!

John G
http://www.johngstudio.com
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
After a month of practicing these routines...I finally gave some of them a spin. Seriously, it wasn't what I expected....The look on the spectators face at the climax of Lost and Found, the swears I got from Out Of The Blue, it was a great performance.
Thank you, John
I really look forward to seeing more material from you!
~joeKing
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
By the way John, my wife told me to tell you that "Lullaby" is extremely relaxing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Guastaferro DVD (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL