The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Now You See It, Now You Don't - Bill Tarr - Review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
Hi, this is my first review of a book as I thought I would try to contribute to this site, after gaining alot from other contributors.

In short I do like this book as it contains a lot of material. The sub title of this book is 'Lessons in Sleight of Hand' so it does have an emphasis towards sleights. Within this book are sleights covering all aspects of magic including cards, coins, sponge balls, cups and balls, thinbles, cigaretes, silks etc.

I particularly like this books as for years I had shyed away from learning the pass. I considered it far too difficult and decided it was not for me. This book however, changed that and provided me with a simple to follow set of instructions for learning the pass. The pages are also brimming with pictures which accompany every effect and sleight explained. I therefore, consider this the perfect book for beginning sleight of hand.

I would say that this book is aimed towards beginners although if there are any particular sleights that you want to pick up or learn that have been bothering you then I would definately say this is a good book to learn them from.

Together with the sleights taught there is, at the start of the book advice on performing, patter, misdirection, practice and other all important rules of magic. At the back there is also a good reference for other books and a clear and easy to understand glossary - ideal for beginners.

To sum up then, I do feel that this is an excellent book for a beginner in magic due to the way in which Mr Tarr explains all the sleights, the wealth of material explained, the abundant use of illustrations and the useful advice given regarding the performing of magic generally.

I would also, however, recommend it for the performer not so new to magic also, as was I when I learned the pass from this book, but who like me have perhaps decided in the past to avoid certain sleights. This book will certainly allow you to get to grips with such sleights.

All in all a good book.
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
I'm glad I had my aunt order this along with DRAWING ROOM DECEPTIONS. it should arrive soon God willing Smile

Pharaoh, how bout the cigarrette sleights, are they wonderful too? or are most of them angle-sensitive? Smile
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
I have been practicing magic for over ten years, and I still refer to Bill Tarr's book(s). I recommend that you pick -up Now You See It, Now You Don't, Volume 2 as well. Bill also has the Now You See It, Now You Don't Notebook which is an awesome intermediate to advanced book for the seasoned magician( I got my copy from Hank Lee). Bill Tarr has done the magic community a great service in publishing these books.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
I wasn't aware of the other books by Bill Tarr but I will certainly take a look at them now, thanks.

David Le, I am not a cigarette manipulator myself so I haven't tried out any of the cigarette material but it looks as though what is covered in this regard is a thorough explanation of the basics, i.e. thumb palm, finger palm, cigarette droppers, basic cigarette vanish, cigarette palm vanish, thumbe tip vanish, impromptu production, a mini routine, tap vanish, cigarette roll and lit cigarette production.

Hope this helps.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I agree with Cardican66,the Second now you see it now you don't is brilliant.Enjoy Smile
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I have #1 and it was worth every penny. I wasn't aware that there was a second one.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I started with the first book when I decided I wanted to learn sleight of hand, and I'm glad I did. It taught me the basics and I think it gave me a good foundation to work from. I give it a very strong recommendation for the beginner.

I heard about the second book from my local magic shop owner a little over a year ago, but I quickly found it out that it was out of print. Since then I've been careful to check used bookstores in my town and I've also tried to find in online magic shops, but so far I haven't come across it. It's been on my wish list for a while and if I do get lucky enough to find this book, I'll be sure to take the opportunity to buy it.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Now You See It, Now You Don't - Bill Tarr - Review (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL