The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Shelf Organization (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Philip Lichtenstein
View Profile
New user
New York City
14 Posts

Profile of Mark Philip Lichtenstein
Hi folks,

My long suffering wife has asked that I - gasp - organize my heap of magic props. I have a couple bins but each one is a mess and I was wondering if anyone knows of a specific product that would be useful for organizing all the sorts of stuff we carry, big and small, while in storage. I have a couple shelves, one of which has 18" of space from top to bottom, but I can't seem to find a bin or bins that use the space efficiently. Any suggestions? I had looked at something like this but was disappointed by its dimensions and looks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P0X......KIKX0DER

All the best,
Mark Philip Lichtenstein
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22050 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
After many years of having the storage problem, the only real and perfect solution is plastic bags. I have used those drawer cabinets and every other idea. What I settled on was a great idea by the late Hank Moorehouse.

Office Depot sells resealable plastic bags or you can use those freezer bags as well. Put each trick with it DVD or printed instructions in each bag along with the props. Then when all the tricks are together, put all the bags in a plastic footlocker that is currently on the market. If you have a lot of magic, I have different types of magic in each footlocker. If you do not have that much, plastic bins are good as well, as you can stack the bags in a container. With the magic you want to use, remove the empty bag with the instructions inside and have another empty bin, to hold these opened bags. That way you know exactly what props you have out, and what props are still in storage.

I found this system extremely handy.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
927 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I like using,"Really Useful Boxes Inc", for storage. They are strong, well designed, multi sized plastic boxes with two strong plastic claps to close the box and keep it closed.

I hope this helps.
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
I recently bought this http://yazmo.com/proaluminummakeupcasebl......hm0Kffbw and I am in love with it. Holds a ton of stuff has customizable sections and the top 1/3 is a removable case that can be used as your close up case with your most commonly performed tricks in it. The bottom 2/3 can be used for storage but also has a removable customizable section as well. Just look at the pics and you will see what I mean. Some magic dealers ell the top portion on for around 75-100 dollars but I got the whole thing for a wopping 120 bucks on ebay. Just do a search for Pro Makeup Case and you will find them.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
I recently bought this http://yazmo.com/proaluminummakeupcasebl......hm0Kffbw and I am in love with it. Holds a ton of stuff has customizable sections and the top 1/3 is a removable case that can be used as your close up case with your most commonly performed tricks in it. The bottom 2/3 can be used for storage but also has a removable customizable section as well. Just look at the pics and you will see what I mean. Some magic dealers ell the top portion on for around 75-100 dollars but I got the whole thing for a wopping 120 bucks on ebay. Just do a search for Pro Makeup Case and you will find them.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Eric Tyree
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Eric Tyree
I second the use of freezer bags. In my office I have about a dozen different cases and things but all of my props are neatly packed into individual bags. I like to be able to glance at a bag and know what is in it. All of the things I am currently working on are just in the bags on my desk.
My wife dislikes all the time spent organizing and reorganizing my cases so this has worked well.
Eric Tyree
Magician, Juggler and Comedian
highcard
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of highcard
I just mentioned on another thread that I use the plastic drawer type organizers, made for desktop use (for holding office supplies and sticky notes). These work great for small item organization as the drawers have clear panels in the front plus can be labeled easily.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I use a variety of containers to fit in my one closet that is alloted to magic. I purchased cardboard boxes with lids that are three inches high, 14 inches wide, and 12 inches deep. On the front I write what is in the box. I built the lowest shelf in the closet with just enough clearance so that three boxes will stack on the shelf. The next shelf up has six inches of space for stand alone items. The top shelf has clearance to the ceiling where I put labeled plastic tubs. The side walls have cork boards with push pins to hold things in clear plastic bags. On the floor is space for larger tubs that are dedicated to balloons, story telling, etc.
Mark Philip Lichtenstein
View Profile
New user
New York City
14 Posts

I've come up with a combination solution: I picked up a machinist toolbox I keep all my playing cards and expensive items in (anything that'll fit anyway- obviously some items are too large) and a couple plastic drawer organizers from the Container Store that have smaller boxes for things like coins, etc. I have some bins with freezer bags and boxes for the larger assorted items, personal fog machines, etc. It works well so far. I'm not as far gone as my dad though, who in addition to having more mishigas has been at this for decades longer than I.

One thing I find very useful is finding a box larger than the magnetic field of anything put within it. This keeps it from magnetizing hard drives or sticking to other boxes. Put your magnetic items in containers that keep them to the middle of the box and you're golden.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mark Philip Lichtenstein
View Profile
New user
New York City
14 Posts

Sadly, I have only part of one room to dedicate to this. Now at least it'll be a tax writeoff.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1566 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I use a large plastic bin for my unused magic & old parts and larger items.
2 large aluminum cases. (Harbor Freight Tools)
2 retired briefcases.
A padded case for my Zombie balls
An old laptop case
2 aluminum small cases for my cards (Harbor Freight Tools)
A fanny pack
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1566 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Oh.
And a bookcase for my magic books & DVDs
Ihor
Dean Jones
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Dean Jones
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 20:03, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I want this guy's set up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtutDY9Ulk4

now that' a room! I've just quit being a tailor and so I am currently turning my old sewing room into a Victorian Magic Den. I'll post pics when completed.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That sounds awesome Dean.
My magic room looks like Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore's office at Hogwart's. Props everywhere. Dust. It's cool looking, but don't ask me to find anything.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dean Jones
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Dean Jones
Quote:
On 2012-10-27 09:39, Wizard of Oz wrote:
That sounds awesome Dean.
My magic room looks like Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore's office at Hogwart's. Props everywhere. Dust. It's cool looking, but don't ask me to find anything.

Simuler to the look I'm going for. A Victorian/steam-punk motive throughout, deep red walls with favoured quotes form magic books written in gold on them, and a big framed reproduction print of one of Thurston's posters. However I like the idea of your HogWorts study:) good show Sir
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Shelf Organization (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL