The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Three Will (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Dear MagicCafe Members,

I am very pleased to announce the release of my new effect Three Will.

PREMISE:

Is the concept of free will a delusion of the mind used to convince ourselves that the decisions we make are our own, that we are in control?

How many of the apparently free choices we make every day are actually already made for us without our knowledge?

Three Will poses these questions and proves that for some of us free will really is nothing more than an elaborate illusion.

EFFECT:

Quote:
The performer asks for the assistance of a couple from the audience and borrows a phone and a set of keys from them. The performer himself contributes his wallet and all three items are placed on the table.

The performer writes a secret prediction on his business card and places it face down on the table. The prediction remains in full view the entire effect.

The couple each freely selects an item and one for the performer. When the performer’s prediction is read aloud it reveals that he was able to accurately predict which item each person would end up with.

The primary method...

• Requires no sleight of hand, no switches, no envelopes, swami writing, etc.
• Uses two assistants and items they provide.
• You write the prediction on the back of your business card at the start of the effect.
• The prediction is in full view for the duration of the effect.
• The prediction can be handed out at the end of the effect.
• Requires minimal setup and can carried in your wallet always ready to go.
• Appears to your audience as being completely impromptu and off the cuff.
• Primary method requires a 'special something' that you may already have, available at stores or online for $3-$4.

Three alternate methods are also presented one of which requires a 'magic utility' that you may already have, available at most magic suppliers for $20+.

MEMBER REVIEWS:

"Three Will is brilliantly constructed and choreographed. The presentation is entertaining, the audience is involved and baffled and you are completely 'clean' at the end. What more could a performer want?".
Mick Ayres

"Laurence's Three Will involves three people, three objects and a spot-on triple prediction. He walks you through the effect and guides you down every side street and alleyway. I am a journalist, the effect is good, the writing is better. This was a joy to read".
Bobby Warren (robwar0010)

"There a good number of similar type effects around but this is my choice. The premise and method in Three Will are justified and it just makes sense. So many variations get bogged down with tricky word play or situational necessities but this is simple, hits hard and is to the point. Plus it's actually fun to perform".
Adam McClure (Olympic_Adam)

"Three Will is Laurence's take on a classic effect and is particularly devious, deceptive and easy to perform. I highly recommend this offering, and without giving anything away Three Will will really get the wheels turning as to other possibilities for its use".
Gabe Abelson (gabelson)

"Open ended presentationally speaking, Three Will uses a clever method and simple technique that isn't about verbally dancing around the matter at hand".
Iain Dunford (Iain)

"Three Will is a very entertaining and intriguing routine indeed. There is plenty of interaction with the assisting spectators and Laurence's effect builds upon the original making it that much more powerful. The manuscript itself is set out in commendable detail and helps you understand and see the potential power of Three Will".
Neil Sommerville (NeilS)

AVAILABLE NOW VIA PAYPAL:

Cost: £12.95

Three Will is a 36 page eBook in PDF format, fully routined with detailed explanations.
Delivery is via email within 24 hours (although usually within 1 hour).

To purchase Three Will right now ......ck here.

Enjoy,

Laurence Hookway
lhookway@mumza.net
AtomicMagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of AtomicMagic
I hope I have the first copy.I can't wait to master it and use it.It is a Outstandingly Clever Effect of Wills.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2459 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Could this be done table hopping?
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Hi Paul & Stef,

Paul, The primary Three Will effect can be performed table hopping, that's one of the nice things about it. There are 3 alternate handlings. The first 2 are more formal but the last one can be done table hopping also.

Stefmagic could you PM me with more details about Colin's effect? I'm not familiar with it since I think he only gave it to a few people.

Regards,

Laurence
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hi Laurence,
Will this work in other languages or does it use English subtleties?
Thank you,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
As can be seen above, I was lucky enough to be sent this a while back to review.

I'm always truthful in my reviews for other people.

This is something I have performed and will do so again, it is entirely worth the asking price and there is a lot of thought and care in this piece. One of the main reasons I like it is that it all makes sense, in the eyes of a spectator everything is justified. I feel that some other free will type effects end up looking a little strange when viewed from the outside.

In terms of method, it goes unnoticed that anything could have taken place, everything is in view at all times and it uses the participant's items. It's a very satisfying method to use, you will most likely need to purchase something small to do this but I had it from another effect (used in a different way) so maybe you will too.

This isn't just a few pages thrown together to sell, you can tell it's made with thought and a desire to get others performing, I would have been on the purchasing side of this if I had not got a review copy. Great work!
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
685 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Sounds interesting. I ordered this about 4 hours ago and am looking forward to receiving it.

Iain.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12232 Posts

Profile of John C
May the WILL be mine!!

Perhaps I will compare this to a recent giveawy from Jose Prager. I'll call it...

A TEST of WILLS!

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Everyone,

I try to live my life in a way that if I can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all (except when it comes to politics). If I didn't like the effect, I would not have commented on it.

Laurence invited me in to the review process at an early stage, along with some others. Right away, I was impressed with his writing, his scripting and how he thought everything through. The first version of the effect I saw was 22 pages, now it is up to 36. I have just received the final version, but I have yet to read it. I am eager to see how this effect has evolved with all of the input he received.

Laurence and I shot a ton of emails back and forth during his review and refinement phase of development, and we talked about this effect and other things. Being a journalist, I could not get over how well-written the thing was, never mind it was a great take on the Deddy Corbuzier's Free Will classic. Because Laurence at the time did not have an avatar, I thought he must have been a twentysomething, so I finally had to ask how old he was. Turns out he was older than I had imagined, and those extra years of experience show in his writing and his thinking.

Laurence, thank you for including me.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2084 Posts

Profile of gabelson
This is a fantastic version of "Free Will". I believe it's stronger (as it's more specific) than the original, and extremely well thought out. Some really great thinking, here, and I've been performing it to great reactions. There is no way for a spec to backtrack this. Strongly recommended!
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
914 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I am interested in how this compares to Fingers' Free Will of Order and as mentioned earlier to Mcleod's Remarkable Effect. Anyone can comment on this?
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
195 Posts

Profile of langston3711
Is this effect like Wayne Dobson's Personal FX? If so how does it compare?
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 15:09, gabelson wrote:
This is a fantastic version of "Free Will". I believe it's stronger (as it's more specific) than the original, and extremely well thought out. Some really great thinking, here, and I've been performing it to great reactions. There is no way for a spec to backtrack this. Strongly recommended!

Agree with this, nothing to pick up on for participants and it's much more satisfying to perform in my book
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1094 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Purchased this a few hours ago for reading before going to bed convinced it was at least worth that.

Hear I am looking over the comments above and have to say I agree with everything that has been said.
I can't imagine someone reading the pdf and not being impressed.

A lot of thought was put into this and the writing is the best I have seen in a pdf which results in a clear understanding of effect and method on the first read through.

Well written and the best published version I am aware of.

Steve
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
I also have been asked to review the ebook in its early stages and right away was impressed with the first variation - and now, having read the final script, I still am. His use of a special "gimmick" makes the original free will effect far more direct and less arbitrary. Unfortunately, it will most probably work only n English - I have not yet come up with a variation that also works in German.

This is the only drawback I can imagine, the rest is pure gold, very well scripted, explained in detail and enriched with good and clear photos.

well woth the money!

Stefan
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The main difference is that my Free Will of Order is much more organic, not requiring anything that couldn't be borrowed anywhere. It only requires the handling of all of the items gathered (the pen, coin, watch and business card). There is an aspect of the new routine that requires something that ends up gimmicky and that the audience is unaware of, and that might not be available at a moments notice without a trip to a specific type of store. And I have never, ever used this item or encountered it before, myself. Therefore, I would say that it would require an act of being prepared to do this at all times.

If this is not a fair comparison, please let me know and delete this post.

Thanks,

Jimmy
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2559 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Laurence sent me a copy of this effect a little while ago and since then our inboxes have been a buzz with activity, as various ideas and thoughts were exchanged. From all this, and the others Laurence consulted, he has put an enormous amount of work into this effect and release - and the quality shows. Not only is the writing and presentation of Three Will excellent but the script included and alternative versions make this an essential read for anyone interested in performing and taking the Free Will concept further.

Another attraction of Three Will is the patter and inter-action you can have with the spectators, not only in helping to make the effect more entertaining but that much more impressive.

Neil
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Jimmy,

As far as Laurence's effect goes, I believe you are correct. However, when you get right down to it, every bit of magic/mentalism requires the performer to be prepared for it, no matter what the level of impromptu is. If your version is totally impromptu, then that is a nice feature. I, too, came up with a totally impromptu version that builds off of a variation posted by Neil S. However, my version is not as strong as Laurence's because his involves a very specific triple prediction involving two helpers and the performer, more than the "you" and "I" gambit.

For me, the need to be prepared is not a problem because I only perform shows (parlor and stage). I don't carry things with me to show my buds or strangers. However, I can do Kolintrol, my version of Free Will and sleight of hand at the drop of a hat, so I am always prepared to perform, I just choose not to.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2772 Posts

Profile of lunatik
2 helpers have been mentioned but can it still be done 1 on 1 and the effect not be diminished?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Hi Lunatik,

A few people have asked me that same question.

The short answer is that Three Will is deliberately structured for two assistants and the methods rely on two assistants. To try and tweak Three Will for one assistant would be a bit like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as it were. Imagine doing twisting the aces with three aces rather than four?

There are some very good one-on-one Free Will type effects out there each with their own merits. Colin McLeod's Kolintrol is one I have used a lot. You have Jimmy's Free Will of Order, Bryn Williams's Business Coin Prediction and many others.

Colin has a video of a Free Will effect that he does with his unsuspecting Mom called, Free Will 2: the adventure home. That's a superb one-on-one Free Will, very direct, easy to understand and hard to beat.

The bottom line is that I didn't want to reinvent wheel. I wanted to try and strengthen the Free Will effect. Referencing a third person in the prediction was one way to do that.

Regards,

Laurence.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Three Will (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL