The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Viking dove pans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hi team,For years now I have owned a Viking manufacturing dove pan,I think it is a great pan as it is stainless steel,has no tell tail
rivets in the lid .
My Question is this,
After loading a dove a few times I think the pan may be a tad on the small side,the diameter of the load pan is 7 inches and the doves tail has to be placed at an uncomfortable angle (curled to one side)
Is my pan to small?
(I know they sell a 9 inch pan but they are out of stock at the moment)
Please share your knowledge
thanks
Jon

Click here to view attached image.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Anybody?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jon, it depends on how much of the tail extends outside the pan. If you're talking more than an inch, then the pan might be too small for your bird. The tail is flexible at the body and it won't hurt to "bend" it just a little where it meets the body.

Look at how closely the load pan meets the cover. If there is a little space, the tail won't be hurt if it extends outside.

A fact not widely spread is that the tail can be folded under the body of a dove. You gently cover the tail with your hand and just fold where the feathers meet the body. I'm not a big fan of this. I've done it sparingly and would rather find a better way.
Where the magic begins
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Dave thanks for the reply ,this is great info .
You have put my mind at ease,my birds comfort is utmost
so I think I will grab a 9" pan just to play it safe.
Jon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22240 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Some magicians are against, this, but it is mentioned in the Dove books as a standard way to make you birds fit. Namely, you can cut the tail feathers about an inch off. I rounded the sides to make it look like they were not cut flat across.

My doves measured 11 inches long, and they did not fit my dove pockets, so clipping was a great advantage. It does not hurt the birds in any way, they can still fly and balance just fine. And it last a really long time, so you don't have to do all the time.

So my birds tails were cut a little past their longest wing feather when against their body. My birds live over 22 years, so it did not cause any health problems. It also helped my birds looking good, as sometimes they would get them against the cage wire and would split the feathers, causing them to not look good.

Although, my birds could not talk, I would imagine, that pushing the feathers back into their body would be very painful for them. That is what bending and stuffing the bird in a small space would cause. Then they would not look that good trying to stuff the feathers against a metal prop.

Just cut them, it is easy - fast and works great.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Totally disagree Bill, but then that's my opinion. I am dead set against trimming tails and wings feathers. Except for very minor grooming, the tail should never be trimmed.

Quote:
Although, my birds could not talk, I would imagine, that pushing the feathers back into their body would be very painful for them. That is what bending and stuffing the bird in a small space would cause. Then they would not look that good trying to stuff the feathers against a metal prop.

The tail feathers are not pushed into the body but folded under the body. They are simply wrapped. They don't "bend" they fold.

Quote:
My doves measured 11 inches long, and they did not fit my dove pockets, so clipping was a great advantage. It does not hurt the birds in any way, they can still fly and balance just fine. And it last a really long time, so you don't have to do all the time.

11 inches is a very large bird however most dove pockets are 11 to 11 1/2" in length and you can always open the back a little to allow the tail to pass through if necessary. Trimming to make a bird fit a pocket or prop isn't really necessary. Again, this is just my opinion.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22240 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dave, that is why I mentioned that "Some magicians are against this", I knew you would disagree. That is fine. It worked great for me.

To cover the pocket length, only the Johnny Brown / Tony Clark pocket are that long. The Neil Foster and General Grant are more on the 8" lengths. I was afraid the bird would fall out of such a short pocket. Better safe then sorry, as I did not like the poor bird was wrapped in a cloth, and not able to save himself, so I was thinking of his safety as well.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bill, I use General grants single, double and triple tier pockets and they are 10 1/2" in depth. Again, even if the pocket is too short, you can always cut the back open a bit to allow the tail to pertrude. Better than cutting feathers in my opinion.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Viking dove pans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL