The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » A dove's life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17135 Posts

Profile of joseph
My dove just passed today, but she really lived a long life, almost 20 years! Sure, she was blind for the last couple of years, and preferred the bottom of the cage rather than a perch above, but still was a good bird who made me some money in her early years. Take care of them, and keep their water clean and always add a little gravel to their food, and you will have a pal (or pals) for a long time like I have.......... Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
AMEN!!! Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5169 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Condolences are usually reserved for humans but after taking care of an animal for 20 years, there's an attachment that often can't be explained. It's not just another animal or pet, it becomes part of the family. I've lost a few that were no where near 20 but still the initial heartbreak and pain is there.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
My condolences also.. may God Bless her little soul.

I love my doves very much and I've only had them a few months. I've also had other animals that were close to my heart that I have lost. I know the feeling.

Cheers,
Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
Giday Joseph

Sorry to hear of your loss. The dove thing is new to me and I was a bit surprised to realize they are so long lived. You must have taken good care.

Had you organised some extra birds over the years so that you had an overlap in case of the loss or injury of a bird.

I am wondering what a reasonable number of stock to maintain is. It appears to me that they could breed prolificly.

Troppo Bob
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5169 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I would think the number of birds you keep would depend on the number used in your act. You should use the same bird for the same effect each time.
In my case, my current act uses 5 birds so I have 10 in the aviary. One backup for each effect.
Where the magic begins
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17135 Posts

Profile of joseph
That's true, Dave. They get to actually learn their routine, and sometimes ham it up. This one liked to fly on my head, creating many funny moments and lines. Fortunately, they are fairly easy to obtain, and fun to train. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Joseph,

My condolences on the loss of your pet. You're right about: if you take care of an animal regardless of what it's breed you will have a life long pal. They are not just a prop but your working partner and it's nice to hear that yours lived a long life with what appears excellent care.

Way to go!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I'm sorry about your birdie. Always remember she is now resting in peace. God bless.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
It does my heart good when I hear of people like Dave, Justin, and Joseph who think of their doves the way they do. These beautiful animals deserve more caretakers like them - I wish more people thought the way they do. Thanks for the post, Joseph.

Ron
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17135 Posts

Profile of joseph
Thanks for everyone's kind thoughts. If you are interested in owning a dove or doves, give it a try. They are great pets, easy to make great buddies, easy to care for, and a beautiful bird. Smile
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Let me add my good thoughts and condolences. My wife and I have had many animals pass through our lives, and we loved them all, as I can tell you loved yours.

Cheers,
Jason
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Twenty years is a good life for a white dove. I keep about a hundred doves available for my act. But each one is important. Each has a numbered band and a history. This week I lost a dove that was put into service for us in 1988 and even worked this year. Most never make it twenty years, but twelve to sixteen is very normal. As I published in Dove Hotline (you can find it from allmagicguide.com) in 1998, if a dove makes it through its first year, the next ten are a given. Yet, we still hate to lose an old friend. They are magic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The Amazed Wiz
AmazedWiz@MagicBySander.com
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicjody
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of magicjody
It is very strange, everytime I have a magician friend die, one of my doves dies on the same day. It is very strange
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That is odd. However, our memories tend to group losses and birthdays. But it is still odd!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Maybe instead of giving it a broken wand ceremony, give it a broken perch ceremony.

I had one pass away a few weeks ago. And although they can't talk and don't really bond in the sense of like how a dog or cat bonds to an owner there is still something special going on between you and the dove after so many years. Especially when you're used to working together for so long and been though so many shows I almost think of them like children in a way. I'm in the process of training in some new ones and it’s an adjustment from being able to just toss and handle the old guy to now if I practically blink these hyper little young ones fly away. But I guess it’s part of how to pay your dues in a way.
DANSPERRY.COM
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sperris that is a novel idea!

Doves don't last forever. But even the ones that stay at home and never become part of your act become part of your life. The loss is the same either way. Perhaps they own a part of us too?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I did a short dove interlude many years ago I had an aviary of four birds. My vet told me that I did nothing to provoke it but a disease snuck in and killed the lot in a couple of days. I bothered me to the point of never having a live animal as a prop ever again.

Even if it wasn't my fault the birds were in my care and I felt responsible.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
My condolences on the loss of your dove. I have had mine 6 years are they truly are my act partners, friends, family. It is amazing how each has its own personality and we tend to think they will always be there. Good luck my friend.
Tony
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Joseph...

Sorry to hear of your loss...Like many others have stated, the animals in our lives (whether they perform in our show, or simply shed light on our hearts) are more than something that eats, makes noise, and poops....They are God's creatures, with souls and hearts...I take my hat off to you for your care of your babies.

I do have a question...I'm new to the performing side of magic (been in entertainment for years, juggling-vent-fire) and I'm considering using animals in the act I'm developing...

Would you, or any other the others, suggest Doves as the way to go for the beginning animal act or does it only matter that you know how to care for whatever animal you use? I guess what I'm asking is: Are Doves the standard because they are naturally better for magic?

Thanks and again, sorry for your loss.

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » A dove's life (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL