The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » A dove's life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi Prof~
Congrats on your decision to use animals in your act. Doves are seemingly a "standard" due to (IMHO) that doves are relatively easy to tend to, they are very pretty on stage and a true joy to work with on stage. (Usually...LOL) But, there is nothing wrong in using other animals as long as their care is taken into consideration and they are comfortable with the effect. Good luck!
Tony
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Thanks Tony...

I have almost 30 years experience with animals (first as a kid with family pets then onto the 'wilder' side)...So, as far as 'handling' the animals with care and respect, I've got it covered...I'm well versed in most carnivores large and small, and a lot of different birds...But honestly, I've never handled Doves before...I will definitely do a ton of research, most probably right here on this site (Where better to learn, right?)...

On to the next question: Is it a good idea to simply get one Dove and learn their habits/needs before beginning to think about what tricks you want to do? Also, where would be the best place to purchase a Dove and the accessories I'll need (Caging I can handle, as I have built my own cages for a long time) but the other things they may need that I'm not aware of?

Thanks again.

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I had posted this in the Kitchen of The Magic Café but that is the area for Café Staff to chat and share instructions but not generally available to all. Therefore, I am posting it again here because it seems to fit this thread.

"Yesterday I lost an old stage buddy too. She was a white dove that got her green numbered band in 1988 and had been part of the act ever since. The public has no idea how long a dove will live when cared for. In the wild the life expectancy is just a little over two years. Magic is a good life. (She is survived by her mate of the same age. They have out lived the company that sold the numbered bands!)

Bob"

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hey Prof~
Definitely sounds like you are "animal smart"! Smile Yes, you are right about finding info regarding dove magic here on the Magic Café. I am relatively new to the Café and I cannot believe the vast amount of information available from the members here. The greatest aspects of doves (I have found) is they quickly learn the effect which they are performing. So, I would you encourage you to obtain your doves and let them get to know you, and you them, before moving into rehearsal of effects with them. I am sure you will enjoy them and I wish you the greatest of success.
Tony
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Thanks again Tony...

Any ideas where to buy a quality Dove? (Any particular sub-species work best?)

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Look up Dakota Rose here on the Café. Also try contacting Dan Sperry aka Sperris here. They may have a direct contact for you. Also, check pet stores but make sure you check the feet (for age). Good luck!
Tony
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2003-10-19 17:40, Dave Scribner wrote:
Condolences are usually reserved for humans but after taking care of an animal for 20 years, there's an attachment that often can't be explained. It's not just another animal or pet, it becomes part of the family. I've lost a few that were no where near 20 but still the initial heartbreak and pain is there.

You said it. My doves have been around for as far back as I can remember, and one does indeed fall in love with them. They are part of my family, as are my bunnies. We will surely shed tears when they pass away.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » A dove's life (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL